Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Audio with an Inspiron 5000e

  • Brett Viren
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2000
      setok@... writes:
      > I can play audio from the internal speakers and when I connect
      > the headphones the internal speakers are cut off and the audio
      > starts playing through them. So far so good. Now when connecting
      > the headphones to the line-out to test (and turning the volume
      > up so I should get something) no audio is played. The audio
      > continues to come out of the internal speakers. Although I don't
      > expect the line-out sound to be loud I do expect to be able to
      > hear a bit and for the internal speakers to be turned off.

      I justed tested this with my 5000e using amplified external speakers
      and I have the same problem. I have a vague memory of this happening
      in Windows when I tried playing a DVD with line out going to my
      stereo.

      I tried messing with the various mixer settings (using ALSA + aumix)
      and got no where.

      Bummer,
      -Brett.
    • Art Delano
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2000
        At 10:41 AM -0500 11/3/00, Brett Viren wrote:
        >setok@... writes:
        > > I can play audio from the internal speakers and when I connect
        > > the headphones the internal speakers are cut off and the audio
        > > starts playing through them. So far so good. Now when connecting
        > > the headphones to the line-out to test (and turning the volume
        > > up so I should get something) no audio is played. The audio
        > > continues to come out of the internal speakers.
        >I justed tested this with my 5000e using amplified external speakers
        >and I have the same problem. I have a vague memory of this happening
        >in Windows when I tried playing a DVD with line out going to my
        >stereo.

        I'm not familiar with the problem but in general line-level signals are
        probably not affected by volume settings; the volume should be set at the
        external amplifier. (off-topic: i have the opposite problem with my
        television: it has RCA jack line outputs which are regulated by the volume
        control, which makes plugging it into the stereo amplifier an exercise in
        silliness, since the TV's output signal is too weak to drive the amp
        without cranking the amp so high it's putting ground hum through the
        speakers, or driving the TV's output so high the TV's internal speakers
        drown out the stereo.)

        AjD

        --
        Art Delano, New Media Designer "The 2nd half of this cut features
        Logic Solutions, Inc. an unprecedented collaboration