Problems after update to RH7.3

  • Steve Baldwin
    Message 1 of 3 , May 10, 2002
      HHHEEEELLLLLPPPPP

      Here's the symptom :

      When I am logged in as root, no matter what command I try, I get the error :

      [root@i4100 root]# ls
      ls: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libgdkxft.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

      It doesn't happen with my usual non-privileged user.

      Here's what I did ...

      First, I uninstalled Ximian using red carpet.  My machine basically locked up at the end (after saying it had uninstalled everything), and when I rebooted, the machine didn't boot into X, and there seemed to be a heap of stuff missing.  However, I thought the upgrade to 7.3 would replace anything that was missing, so I just went ahead with the upgrade.

      Rather than let it decide what packages to upgrade, I thought I'd customise my packages, so I went through every section in detail, and chose the packages I wanted.  It found a bunch of missing dependencies, but I just told it to install the missing dependencies, thinking it would sort all that out.

      The upgrade went OK, except for the last bit when I neglected to check the 'skip boot disk creation'.  It sat for a while, then came up with an error dialog and terminated the installation.

      When it rebooted, I had a working system, in that it starts X, I can log in as my non-privileged user, and do basically anything I could do before, *except* that root no longer works (a pretty big except).

      I tried re-running the upgrade, this time letting it choose what it wanted to upgrade.  It installed a few extra packages, but didn't cure my problem.

      I've got a desktop system that I upgraded first, and it went without a hitch.  It did not previously have Ximian on it.  I've had a look on that machine for the file libgdkxft.so.*, and it's not there.

      Any clues or suggestions are most welcome.

      Steve
    • Steve Baldwin
      Message 2 of 3 , May 10, 2002
        OK, I think I've solved it.  This was due to having previously set up anti-aliased fonts for Gnome.  When I uninstalled Ximian, it must have removed the library.  I had a statement in my .bash_profile that said :

        export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libgdkxft.so

        I just got rid of that, and all seems to be well (fingers crossed).

        Steve

        Steve Baldwin wrote:
[...]

      • Ryurick M. Hristev
        Message 3 of 3 , May 10, 2002
          On Sat, 11 May 2002, Steve Baldwin wrote:

          > Here's the symptom :
          >
          > When I am logged in as root, no matter what command I try, I get the
          > error :
          >
          > [root@i4100 root]# ls
          > ls: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libgdkxft.so.0: cannot

          This have nothing to do with 'ls'.

          Let me guess: is this happening at the console ? or rather under
          the gnome-terminal ?

          Cheers,
          --
          Ryurick M. Hristev mailto:r.hristev@...