Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Linmodem/gnome-ppp

  • Brett Viren
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
      raymond1138@... writes:
      > System Details:
      > Inspiron 7500/128M/15.4"
      >
      > Issue:
      > Installed linmodem drivers and set up connection in gnome-ppp.
      > Attempts to connect bring up a alert "The pppd daemon died
      > unexpectedly." Any ideas?

      Yeah, ask Lucent to release the source.

      This driver also fails with PPP with my 5000e. If you look at your
      kernel logs, you'll maybe see that it dies with a page fault as does
      mine.

      FWIW, the driver does work with a simple minicom connection.

      -Brett.
    • Graves, John
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
        In the "for what it's worth" category, I offer this...

        Several years ago, while working with PPP on some SGI systems, I had a
        problem that sounds similar to what you are experiencing. The culprit
        turned out to be the type of data compression (in hardware) that the modem
        in the SGI system was using versus the compression used by the ISP I was
        connecting to.

        I don't recall exactly what file I had to modify (may pppd.conf?), but all
        it amounted to was setting one of the compression arguments to a different
        value (Off maybe, I don't recall exactly).

        I will look at my old notes to see if I can find the info. If I do, I will
        post the file and the settings.

        CAVEAT EMPTOR: As I mentioned, this was a situation from 2 or 3 years ago on
        SGI Irix 6.2. It may not be the same problem you are having. If it is,
        great. If not, then I apologize in advance for sending you down the wrong
        path.

        Peace,
        John Graves

      • raymond1138@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, Brett Viren <bv@b...> wrote:
          > raymond1138@y... writes:
          > > System Details:
          > > Inspiron 7500/128M/15.4"
          > >
          > > Issue:
          > > Installed linmodem drivers and set up connection in gnome-ppp.
          > > Attempts to connect bring up a alert "The pppd daemon died
          > > unexpectedly." Any ideas?
          >
          > Yeah, ask Lucent to release the source.
          >
          > This driver also fails with PPP with my 5000e. If you look at your
          > kernel logs, you'll maybe see that it dies with a page fault as does
          > mine.
          >
          > FWIW, the driver does work with a simple minicom connection.
          >
          > -Brett.

          Ah, well. Guess I'll start saving up for that PCMCIA modem...
        • Lars
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 8, 2000
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, raymond1138@y... wrote:
            > System Details:
            > Inspiron 7500/128M/15.4"
            >
            > Issue:
            > Installed linmodem drivers and set up connection in gnome-ppp.
            > Attempts to connect bring up a alert "The pppd daemon died
            > unexpectedly." Any ideas?
            >
            > -RV

            Check that the modules ppp.o and shlc.o are loaded into the kernel.
            Go su and lsmod

            /Lamal