Linmodem/gnome-ppp

  • raymond1138@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
      System Details:
      Inspiron 7500/128M/15.4"

      Issue:
      Installed linmodem drivers and set up connection in gnome-ppp.
      Attempts to connect bring up a alert "The pppd daemon died
      unexpectedly." Any ideas?

      -RV
    • Brett Viren
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
        raymond1138@... writes:
        > System Details:
        > Inspiron 7500/128M/15.4"
        >
        > Issue:
        > Installed linmodem drivers and set up connection in gnome-ppp.
        > Attempts to connect bring up a alert "The pppd daemon died
        > unexpectedly." Any ideas?

        Yeah, ask Lucent to release the source.

        This driver also fails with PPP with my 5000e. If you look at your
        kernel logs, you'll maybe see that it dies with a page fault as does
        mine.

        FWIW, the driver does work with a simple minicom connection.

        -Brett.
      • Graves, John
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
          In the "for what it's worth" category, I offer this...

          Several years ago, while working with PPP on some SGI systems, I had a
          problem that sounds similar to what you are experiencing. The culprit
          turned out to be the type of data compression (in hardware) that the modem
          in the SGI system was using versus the compression used by the ISP I was
          connecting to.

          I don't recall exactly what file I had to modify (may pppd.conf?), but all
          it amounted to was setting one of the compression arguments to a different
          value (Off maybe, I don't recall exactly).

          I will look at my old notes to see if I can find the info. If I do, I will
          post the file and the settings.

          CAVEAT EMPTOR: As I mentioned, this was a situation from 2 or 3 years ago on
          SGI Irix 6.2. It may not be the same problem you are having. If it is,
          great. If not, then I apologize in advance for sending you down the wrong
          path.

          Peace,
          John Graves

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2000
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, Brett Viren <bv@b...> wrote:
            > raymond1138@y... writes:
            > > System Details:
            > > Inspiron 7500/128M/15.4"
            > >
            > > Issue:
            > > Installed linmodem drivers and set up connection in gnome-ppp.
            > > Attempts to connect bring up a alert "The pppd daemon died
            > > unexpectedly." Any ideas?
            >
            > Yeah, ask Lucent to release the source.
            >
            > This driver also fails with PPP with my 5000e. If you look at your
            > kernel logs, you'll maybe see that it dies with a page fault as does
            > mine.
            >
            > FWIW, the driver does work with a simple minicom connection.
            >
            > -Brett.

            Ah, well. Guess I'll start saving up for that PCMCIA modem...
          • Lars
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 8, 2000
              --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, raymond1138@y... wrote:
              > System Details:
              > Inspiron 7500/128M/15.4"
              >
              > Issue:
              > Installed linmodem drivers and set up connection in gnome-ppp.
              > Attempts to connect bring up a alert "The pppd daemon died
              > unexpectedly." Any ideas?
              >
              > -RV

              Check that the modules ppp.o and shlc.o are loaded into the kernel.
              Go su and lsmod

              /Lamal