Inspiron 5000e & KDE & PCMCIA

  • Matthias Mohr
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
      Hi everybody,

      I managed to get my X running with XFree4.0.1c with 1400x1050.
      Ans I also managed to get the PCMCIA-stuff running.

      But when I'm in KDE (or KDE2) and go to the PCMCIA-page of
      the ControlCenter, it always says "no PCMCIA detected".

      I'm using a SuSE 7.0-distribution with selfcompiled Kernel (2.2.16 + SuSE)
      and I updated my PCMCIA stuff to the newest available by compiling
      it by myself (can't remember the version number now :-)

      Can anybody see the PCMCIA cards inside KDE or KDE2 ControlCenter ?

      BTW: I know, that the apm support don't work, but why is it so bad, that all
      programs kill itself by trying to contact the apm-bios ?
      The kernel always talks about failures with apm and if I accidently go to any
      powermanagement pages inside KDE, the ControlCenter kills itself without
      message.
      Is there a working solution (or workaround) for this behavior ?

      thanx for any comments/help

      Matthias
    • quim@mat.ub.es
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 16, 2000
        The same PCMCIA problem happens with the latest Debian (woody)
        distribution.
        There are two possible solutions to the APM problem. First and most
        radical is to disable all APM features in the kernel. This prevents
        any crash. The second is to give it a try to the 2.4. kernels with
        ACPI support, (have not tried myself yet).
        Joaquim
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Matthias Mohr" <MMohr@S...>
        wrote:
        > Hi everybody,
        >
        > I managed to get my X running with XFree4.0.1c with 1400x1050.
        > Ans I also managed to get the PCMCIA-stuff running.
        >
        > But when I'm in KDE (or KDE2) and go to the PCMCIA-page of
        > the ControlCenter, it always says "no PCMCIA detected".
        >
        > I'm using a SuSE 7.0-distribution with selfcompiled Kernel (2.2.16 +
        SuSE)
        > and I updated my PCMCIA stuff to the newest available by compiling
        > it by myself (can't remember the version number now :-)
        >
        > Can anybody see the PCMCIA cards inside KDE or KDE2 ControlCenter ?
        >

        > BTW: I know, that the apm support don't work, but why is it so bad,
        that all
        > programs kill itself by trying to contact the apm-bios ?
        > The kernel always talks about failures with apm and if I accidently
        go to any
        > powermanagement pages inside KDE, the ControlCenter kills itself
        without
        > message.
        > Is there a working solution (or workaround) for this behavior ?
        >
        > thanx for any comments/help
        >
        > Matthias
      • Francesco Corona
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2001

          > But when I'm in KDE (or KDE2) and go to the PCMCIA-page of
          > the ControlCenter, it always says "no PCMCIA detected".
          > Can anybody see the PCMCIA cards inside KDE or KDE2 ControlCenter ?

          as you said, kde2.0.1 control center doesn't look like the best detector for
          pcmcia cards. still, you can find something interesting under:
          K->System->Kde System Control
          nevertheless, kde1.1.2 shows almost anything you need to know.
          kardinfo, is you friend, anyways.
          all this happens on a i5k running suse 6.4 (2.2.14)
          can't say much about apm, here it works just fine but, you know, ...different
          machine.
          bytheway, do you use alsa to get the sound boost? <ghghgh>
          here, I cannot get not even a noise out of it. I switched to kernel modules
          and to OSS, which both do the job; but then again, on kde2* I get complains
          about a missing module 116 (alsa's). as far as you know, exist any suse's kde
          which doesn't depend on alsa?

          francesco