Re: DELL Inspiron 4000

  • bowill@fas.harvard.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2000
      I took the risk myself, and so far am not too disappointed. I've
      repartitioned without a problem and my dual-boot works fine. The base
      Linux install went without a hitch. And I was able to get XFree86
      4.0.1 working (after reading some posts here about X on the 5000e).
      Haven't done sound, yet, though it looks like possibilities exist.
      Haven't done anything with the built-in modem or network card, yet,
      and I'm not sure that they'll work with Linux. I can always replace
      them with reasonably inexpensive PCMCIA cards if I decide it's
      important. Haven't done really thorough apm testing, or floppy-DVD
      swapping, so I'm not certain there either.

      --Brandon