Re: [linux-dell-laptops] BIOS update

  • Peter B. West
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2000
      Stefan Geis wrote:

      > Peter,
      >
      > > On linux, what are the contents of your /etc/resolv.conf
      >
      > search physik.uni-wuerzburg.de
      > nameserver bla.bla.bla
      > nameserver etc.etc.etc
      >
      > this makes sense, as today (lucky me) I have access to the network
      >
      > > and /etc/host.conf
      > > files?
      >
      > oder hosts bind
      > multi on
      >
      > > What does
      > > /sbin/ifconfig
      > > tell you?
      >
      > lines with more or less one letter in it, not with very much sense to me
      >
      > > What about
      > > /sbin/route
      >
      > nothing I can make sense of
      >
      > stefan

      Stefan,

      Not much sense to me either. When I have no network connection, I have this
      from ifconfig:

      xml 20:11$ /sbin/ifconfig
      lo Link encap:Local Loopback
      inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
      UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:3924 Metric:1
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

      When connected via eth0 or ppp0, I have similar entries for those interfaces.

      Similarly, with no external network connection, I get this from route:

      xml 12:59$ /sbin/route
      Kernel IP routing table
      127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo

      Peter