Re: Inspiron 7500 & RedHat 7

  • thoroughbredinjun@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2000
      Hello Wojtek :-)
      (Are u related to Mr. Fibak, the soccer magician? ;) )
      to get x to be running at boot, you need to go into your /etc/inittab
      file and there different run levels are described..
      for example this differs for different distros of LINUX. For redhat it
      will be something like :
      0 - halt
      1 - single user
      2 - multiuser without NFS
      3 - multiuser with NFS
      4 - not used
      5 - X11
      6 - reboot

      Below these, change as below,

      id:5:initdefault:

      So yours must be set as 1 for single user mode in this line. You need
      to go into this file and change it to 5 which fires up X when LINUX
      boots up!

      2) as to the modem, I guess it is autoconfigured? I lost out bigtime
      since I got LUCENT winmodem...I may not be the best person to help you
      there..
      3) for printer configuration, go into SU mode and run *printtool* ..
      I myself am a recent convertee, so other more learned souls may
      confuse you less...
      Hope this helps,
      a fizzicist

      "Physics is the only science, rest are all stamp collection"
      Sir. Ernest Rutherford

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Wojciech Skrzypczak"
      <wojteks@r...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I need help in the three areas below:
      >
      > 1. I cannot make my Inspiron 7500 running RH 7 to boot and go
      straight to X. No matter how I set relevant items in linuxconf, I
      always have to log in using the text mode and then start X by typing
      'startx'. Before, when I had Redhat 6.2 installed it all worked
      fine... Anyone have a clue what to do ?