Re: [linux-dell-laptops] How do I install KDE3?

  • Stephen Lau
    Message 1 of 20 , May 2, 2002
      grabbed every file... if you want, i can provide filenames.
      -steve

      On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 04:38:30PM -0400, Brian Blackstone wrote:
      > Did you grab every file from the i386 folder, or just certain ones?
      >
      > -------
      > Brian

    • emil kirschner
      Message 2 of 20 , May 3, 2002
        kde 3 requires the fam daemon (file alterations
        monitor). Do you have that one? I ask because on
        slackware fam is not included with kde 3, I had to
        look it up on linuxpackages.net and install it
        separatelly. funny, I found within some gnome distro
        :-)

        Cheers,
        e.

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • Brian Blackstone
        Message 3 of 20 , May 3, 2002
          I tried upgrading to KDE 3.0, and I have screwed something up...

          When I tried to 'rpm -Uvh *.rpm' I get this message:
          qt-Xt-3.0.3-5.i386.rpm: read manifest failed: Success

          and it stops.
          Did you have this problem, too? I'm running basically a stock RH 7.2 with
          the 2.4.7 kernel. Will I need to compile the qt from source?

          Thanks for any advice,

          Brian

          > grabbed every file... if you want, i can provide filenames.
          > -steve
          >
          > On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 04:38:30PM -0400, Brian Blackstone wrote:
          > > Did you grab every file from the i386 folder, or just certain ones?
          > >
          > > -------
          > > Brian

        • Brian Blackstone
          Message 4 of 20 , May 3, 2002
            I have fam-2.6.4-11 installed on my machine.

            > kde 3 requires the fam daemon (file alterations
            > monitor). Do you have that one? I ask because on
            > slackware fam is not included with kde 3, I had to
            > look it up on linuxpackages.net and install it
            > separatelly. funny, I found within some gnome distro
            > :-)
            >
            > Cheers,
            > e.
            >
            > --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:
            > > grabbed every file... if you want, i can provide
            > > filenames.
            > > -steve
            > >
            > > On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 04:38:30PM -0400, Brian
            > > Blackstone wrote:
            > > > Did you grab every file from the i386 folder, or
            > > just certain ones?
            > > >
            > > > -------
            > > > Brian

          • Stephen Lau
            Message 5 of 20 , May 3, 2002
              it sounds like that file may be corrupted....you might try grabbing it
              frrom another mirrour..

              -steve

            • Andrew
              Message 6 of 20 , May 3, 2002
                On Friday 03 May 2002 12:30 pm, Stephen Lau wrote:
                > it sounds like that file may be corrupted....you might try grabbing it
                > frrom another mirrour..

                like I said... the redhat binary rpm for qt3.3 is no good...
                you have to manually rebuild the src rpm using rpm --rebuild

                it's something to do overnight etc :)
                but I did that and it works perfectly!
                and it's more 'form-fitting' to your machine.
                --Andrew

                > -steve
                >
                > On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 10:51:15AM -0400, Brian Blackstone wrote:
                > > I tried upgrading to KDE 3.0, and I have screwed something up...
                > >
                > > When I tried to 'rpm -Uvh *.rpm' I get this message:
                > > qt-Xt-3.0.3-5.i386.rpm: read manifest failed: Success
                > >
                > > and it stops.
                > > Did you have this problem, too? I'm running basically a stock RH 7.2
                > > with the 2.4.7 kernel. Will I need to compile the qt from source?
                > >
                > > Thanks for any advice,
                > >
                > > Brian

              • Stephen Lau
                Message 7 of 20 , May 3, 2002
                  i don't completely agree...my qt-3.0.3-i don't completely agree...my
                  qt-3.0.3-5.i386.rpm is perfectly fine, and i downloaded it onto two
                  machines and installed it under both a rh7.1 and rh7.2 machine.

                  -steve

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 3, 2002
                    On Friday 03 May 2002 03:24 pm, Stephen Lau wrote:
                    > i don't completely agree...my qt-3.0.3-i don't completely agree...my
                    > qt-3.0.3-5.i386.rpm is perfectly fine, and i downloaded it onto two
                    > machines and installed it under both a rh7.1 and rh7.2 machine.

                    well then the qt3.3 rpm just dosen't love me :(
                    --Andy
                  • cesar_cem
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 3, 2002
                      Now my KDE3 is running after i reinstalled MDK 8.2

                      Still have a problem with the startup, the KPersonalizer is running
                      on every startup even if I do what says on the readme, to put some
                      lines in the config.

                      Also somtimes when i make a click on home and Konqueror is opened, I
                      go to mnt directory and it Konqueror just disappear and i have to
                      open it again.

                      But i can live with this, by far KDE3 is better than XP or GNOME.

                    • Stephen Lau
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 3, 2002
                        On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 05:13:16PM -0400, Andrew wrote:
                        > On Friday 03 May 2002 03:24 pm, Stephen Lau wrote:
                        > > i don't completely agree...my qt-3.0.3-i don't completely agree...my
                        > > qt-3.0.3-5.i386.rpm is perfectly fine, and i downloaded it onto two
                        > > machines and installed it under both a rh7.1 and rh7.2 machine.
                        > >

                        > well then the qt3.3 rpm just dosen't love me :(
                        > --Andy

                        aww... andy gets no love from qt3. ;-) heh...j/k i've heard similar
                        reports from other people though that qt3 rpms were corrupted as well on
                        some mirrours...

                        -steve

                        --
                        stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
                        http://www.whacked.net/oss/ldl
                      • e chin
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 5, 2002
                          --- Stephen Lau <ldl@...> wrote:

                          hi steve,

                          sorry to have to contact you on the mail list
                          since you don't respond to your <ldl@...>
                          address.

                          how does someone unsubscribe???

                          DOES NOT WORK!!!

                          =====
                          Edward Chin now at: echin@...
                          do NOT click <reply> - use cut n paste
                          Please send plain text only!

                          Try Linux. Fight bloatware!

                          http://health.yahoo.com
                        • Stephen Lau
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 5, 2002
                            random note, andrew: when i try to email you (i replied to your email the
                            other day), i get a bounceback saying my postfix daemon couldn't establish
                            a connection to your MX host...