Inspiron 8200 Various

  • gghulyer
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2002
      I am tring to run XFree86 on RH7.1 on my I8200.

      1. XFree86

      Whatever install option I choose (Laptop/Custom etc) the install of
      XFree86 appears to be broken in that /usr/X11R6/lib/modules only
      contains 1 file rather that the 20 or so for a good install.

      I have installed XFRee86 4.2.0 from www.xfree86.org and followed the
      advice on this and other lists re. installing updated drivers from
      NVIDA (make install method), editing XF86Config-4 etc.

      Now I get the NVIDIA splash screen when I run startx and a basic X
      GUI but

      a) How do I get Gnome for my Desktop.
      b) The X GUI hangs on exit.

      2. Sound

      Any advice on

      a) Procedure for installing sound card drivers under RH1.
      b) How do you kill the sound on the PC speaker before you have
      drivers installed.

      TIA.