Re: Inspiron 8100/Radeon 7500 and Mandrake 8.2

  • raheelmail
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2002
      Hi,
      could you please explain in a little detail how exactly i should get the X system up and running on
      the above system (Inspiron 8100, Radeon 7500, Mandrake 8.2).
      I appreciate it very much.
      Thanks

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "mowgli435" <mowgli435@y...> wrote:

      > > I am having this same problem. I install XFree86 4.2.0 clean from
      > > Mandrake 8.2 then any time I try to go to x (either during the
      > > install, or with XFdrake later) I get a black screen. I have tried
      > > multiple monitors and multiple resolutions, no joy.
      > >
      > > Some people say 4.2 provides support for this card, but I have yet to
      > > get it working. I have been running linux on my Inspiron 7000 for
      > > almost 3 years, but today I feel like the day I started.
      > >
      > > -dennis
      >
      > OK, After the initial shock of feeling like a complete dope I will
      > confess.
      >
      > I was changing XFConfig instead of XFConfig-4 as is clearly shown in
      > the logs.
      >
      > So to get X up on an 8100 with Mandrake 8.2 and a Radeon 7500, add
      >
      > Option "NoAccel"
      >
      > under the Device section for "ATI Radeon" in /etc/X11/XFConfig-4
      >
      > If anyone wants a step by step howto from partioning to first KDE
      > boot, I will certainly type one up.
      >
      > Sorry to waste bandwidth.
      >
      > -dennis
    • Walter Logeman
      Message 2 of 6 , May 19, 2002
        In [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Inspiron 8100/Radeon 7500 and Mandrake 8.2, on Thu, 02 May 2002 10:39,
        mowgli435 wrote:

        > So to get X up on an 8100 with Mandrake 8.2 and a Radeon 7500, add
        >
        > Option "NoAccel"

        I am struggling with this. I have added the "noaccel" option and it works in that the
        screen no longer hangs BUT

        As i have posted to the list I have a slow screen and wavy scrolling.

        So I'd be really keen to see you XFConfig-4 if you have it working well.

        I have the 1600x1200 screen that may be a factor.

        Also what does the "noaccel" imply? Was the screen accelerated before under mandrake 8.1?

        I have now installed the Gatos driver to no avail.

        Thanks,

        Walter

        --
        Walter Logeman