Re: Gentoo Linux -- anyone tried it?

  • grivell
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2002
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Brian Blackstone" <brianb@c...> wrote:
      > Is anyone successfully using Gentoo Linux on any Dell laptops? If so, how do you like it?

      I am currently using Gentoo on an i8100. I like it. Of course, when updating it compiles the
      updated apps/libs, so it takes time.

      The best part about Gentoo is probably KDE 3.0. It's a nice improvement over KDE 2.x.

      Just updated my bios to A11, and now the battery indicator works. A pleasant thing :)

      I haven't messed with S2D, and s2r only works if I unload NVidia driver.

      One thing to look out for is the APM package. It doesn't compile for me for some reason.
      Which means KDE's power management is limitted :(
    • questforme
      Message 2 of 3 , May 9, 2002
        wrote:
        > Is anyone successfully using Gentoo Linux on any Dell laptops? If
        so, how do you like it?

        > -------
        > Brian

        I have and I really like it. I Love the 'emerge' command. With
        this I actually got my wireless networking and external firewire
        harddrive working. The only downside is compling time for the
        initial install and KDE but the upside to that is that it's
        customizing itself just for your system.

        Kent