Inspiron 8200

  • myjoke123
    Message 1 of 18 , May 1, 2002
      Hello all, this is my first post on this group.

      I am not a complete newbie to linux, but not an expert either. This
      is my frist experience in installing Linux on a laptop. I just got a
      brand new inspiron 8200 and I want to make it dual boot into Rh 7.2
      and Win2k.

      For this purpose, I installed Win2K first on the MBR on first
      partition of the hard disk and then I installed linux on second
      partition with lilo installed on /dev/hda5.

      Before I can try dual boot, I am unable to run my X windows. During
      installation, the video card was correctly detected (I think???)
      NVIDIA GeForce2 Go (Generic). The monitor type however
      was "unprobed". I tried the "Dell laptop 1600X" and only
      for "800x600" I could see the test work. I thought, this could be a
      begining. When I boot to linux using a boot floppy, I get a hazy
      screen where nothing makes sense. I tried with all other monitor
      types available in the Dell category. Same result. Also tried a
      generic monitor with similar result.

      I followed advise on a usegroup to modify my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
      file to replace "nv" with "nvidia". Didn't help.

      Since I can boot with a floppy, I am not too concerned about the dual
      boot right now, but I need to get X working.

      Any input would be appreciated.

      Thanks
    • jfw1000
      Message 2 of 18 , May 1, 2002
        I just did the same stuff a few days ago, you need to update driver
        from Nvidia.com FIRST, and then use XConfigurator to set up X.
        Please look at the post here or Dell Linux Laptop pages.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "myjoke123" <myjoke123@y...> wrote:
        > Hello all, this is my first post on this group.
        >
        > I am not a complete newbie to linux, but not an expert either. This
        > is my frist experience in installing Linux on a laptop. I just got
        > brand new inspiron 8200 and I want to make it dual boot into Rh 7.2
        > and Win2k.
        >
        > For this purpose, I installed Win2K first on the MBR on first
        > partition of the hard disk and then I installed linux on second
        > partition with lilo installed on /dev/hda5.
        >
        > Before I can try dual boot, I am unable to run my X windows. During
        > installation, the video card was correctly detected (I think???)
        > NVIDIA GeForce2 Go (Generic). The monitor type however
        > was "unprobed". I tried the "Dell laptop 1600X" and only
        > for "800x600" I could see the test work. I thought, this could be a
        > begining. When I boot to linux using a boot floppy, I get a hazy
        > screen where nothing makes sense. I tried with all other monitor
        > types available in the Dell category. Same result. Also tried a
        > generic monitor with similar result.
        >
        > I followed advise on a usegroup to modify my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
        > file to replace "nv" with "nvidia". Didn't help.
        >
        > Since I can boot with a floppy, I am not too concerned about the
        dual
        > boot right now, but I need to get X working.
        >

        > Any input would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks
      • Stephen Lau
        Message 3 of 18 , May 30, 2002
          the 8000 and 8100 was the maestro3 driver...i assume it's the same for the
          8200

          -steve

          --
          stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
          http://www.whacked.net/oss/ldl
          Message 4 of 18 , May 30, 2002

          • ronin2@bellatlantic.net
            Message 5 of 18 , May 30, 2002
              The maestro3 driver support, preferably built as a module. I believe I
              also needed the ac97_codec, and I don't remember if I had to specify it.

              --
              Kevin McKinley

              Message 6 of 18 , May 30, 2002
                Am Donnerstag, 30. Mai 2002 22:17 schrieb
                ronin2@...:

                > The maestro3 driver support, preferably built as a module.
                > I believe I also needed the ac97_codec, and I don't
                > remember if I had to specify it.

                Hello,

                I just tried, but didn't work. On

                http://pcpool.mathematik.uni-freiburg.de/~wehrheim/stephan/computer/dell8200+suse80/dell8200+suse80.html

                there is a detailed description, but didn't also work for me.
                I am not experienced enough to understand what there is to
                do, so I can't use the provided information on this page and
                modify for my use.

                So I will just wait a little while until the Linux-Tag is
                over. Then, a compaign will have some time to help me to
                configure my soundcard correctly.

                Gruß

                ce

                ======
                Installation von SuSE 8.0 auf einem Dell Inspiron 8200
                http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
                ======
              • emil kirschner
                Message 7 of 18 , May 30, 2002
                  I use "Intel ICH (i8xx) audio support" in 2.4.18

                  work very well. hope it helps.

                  alles gute,
                  e.

                  --- mchristoph.eckert@... wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >

                  > what driver do you use for the soundcard on the
                  > Inspiron? The
                  > default-driver installed by suse makes noises while
                  > initializing, so I want to configure another one.
                  >

                  > thx
                  >
                  > ce
                  >

                  > ======
                  > Installation von SuSE 8.0 auf einem Dell Inspiron
                  > 8200

                  http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
                  > ======

                  http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                • Rodney _meff_ Gordon II
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 30, 2002
                    http://www.pobox.com/~meff/i8200/

                    mchristoph.eckert@... (mchristoph.eckert@...) wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >

                    > what driver do you use for the soundcard on the Inspiron? The
                    > default-driver installed by suse makes noises while
                    > initializing, so I want to configure another one.
                    >

                    > thx
                    >
                    > ce
                    >

                    > ======
                    > Installation von SuSE 8.0 auf einem Dell Inspiron 8200
                    > http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
                    > ======

                    Rodney "meff" Gordon II - meff@...

                    -->
                    He who loses, wins the race,
                    And parallel lines meet in space.
                    -- John Boyd, "Last Starship from Earth"
                  • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 30, 2002
                      Am Donnerstag, 30. Mai 2002 23:49 schrieb Rodney _meff_ Gordon
                      II:
                      > http://www.pobox.com/~meff/i8200/

                      Yes, I just read this. It seems that certain people use other
                      drivers, but I am not as experieced in Linux that I exactly
                      know what the meaning of the different things is.
                      I told the question for another one and gave her all
                      information I could get by your help: thanks.

                      thx again

                      ce

                      ======
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 30, 2002
                        AFAIK, the internal "Crystal 4205" is just a forwarder to the ICH
                        interface, I've yet to see any linux drivers commercial or non for it,
                        so your stuck with the i8x0/ICH drivers for now.

                        I tried ALSA but it produced very choppy sound-- I don't know why. I am
                        using the kernel version at the moment.

                        -r

                        mchristoph.eckert@... (mchristoph.eckert@...) wrote:
                        > Am Donnerstag, 30. Mai 2002 23:49 schrieb Rodney _meff_ Gordon
                        > II:
                        > > http://www.pobox.com/~meff/i8200/
                        >
                        > Yes, I just read this. It seems that certain people use other
                        > drivers, but I am not as experieced in Linux that I exactly
                        > know what the meaning of the different things is.
                        > I told the question for another one and gave her all
                        > information I could get by your help: thanks.
                        >
                        > thx again
                        >
                        > ce
                        >

                        > ======
                        > Installation von SuSE 8.0 auf einem Dell Inspiron 8200
                        > http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
                        > ======

                        Rodney "meff" Gordon II - meff@...

                        -->
                        IN MY OPINION anyone interested in improving himself should not rule out
                        becoming pure energy.
                        -- Jack Handley, The New Mexican, 1988.
                      • Pierre-Yves
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 26, 2002
                          Hello you all,

                          I am preparing to install Linux on my new I8200 (which is still
                          being "somewhere in transit"). An old user of RedHat, I'm planning to
                          use this distrib. Is the 8.0 release (quite new) correct, or should I
                          try to get a 7.3 older, but more stable release ?
                          And are there any caveats I should be aware of with those I8200 ?
                          Tia,
                          -- Pierre-Yves
                        • Daevid Vincent
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 26, 2002
                            Message
                            I just bought one a week ago and so far so good. most things i've encountered are supported with a little bit of tweaking. i would suggest you do some reading and a bit of research to gather your useful web pages before installing it, especially if you're dual booting. i posted my trials & tribulations to this group a little while back as two messages. look for "XP, RH8, i8200, dualboot [SOLVED]" as the subject. Also, you might look at the PHP or mySQL mailing lists for my subject "How I Got PHP4.2.2, Apache 2.0, mySQL and RedHat 8.0 to work" too. the nVidia drivers will be a big help to run 1600x1200 and get 3D hardware acceleration. that's all on the nVidia site. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2563

                               I am preparing to install Linux on my new I8200 (which is still
                            being "somewhere in transit"). An old user of RedHat, I'm planning to
                            use this distrib. Is the 8.0 release (quite new) correct, or should I
                            try to get a 7.3 older, but more stable release ?
                               And are there any caveats I should be aware of with those I8200 ?

                          • Pierre-Yves Bonnetain
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 26, 2002
                              daevid@... :

                              > my trials & tribulations to this group a little while back as two messages.
                              > look for "XP, RH8, i8200, dualboot [SOLVED]" as the subject.

                              Ok, I'll fetch those messages. But, to get to the bare bones of the
                              subject, RH 8.0 seems to work properly (I think I will have
                              difficulties finding RH 7.3 in any store by now).

                              > the nVidia drivers will be a big help to run 1600x1200 and get 3D hardware
                              > acceleration. that's all on the nVidia site.

                              I do have a NVidia Geforce2, but only a SXGA screen (1400x1050),
                              which should be quite enough for my poor eyes.
                              Thanks, I will undoubtedly summarize my findings/hard
                              work/tweakings somewhere next week (when I'll have the beast under
                              control).
                              CU,

                              -- Pierre-Yves Bonnetain
                              Computers and Networks Security -- B&A Consultants
                              Tél +33 (0) 563 277 241 -- Fax +33 (0) 563 277 245
                            • David M. Cook
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 26, 2002
                                On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 09:16:20AM -0000, Pierre-Yves wrote:

                                > I am preparing to install Linux on my new I8200 (which is still
                                > being "somewhere in transit"). An old user of RedHat, I'm planning to
                                > use this distrib. Is the 8.0 release (quite new) correct, or should I
                                > try to get a 7.3 older, but more stable release ?

                                8.0 is working well for me. It is really not "cutting edge" like some x.0
                                releases have been. I haven't had anything I would consider a
                                stability issue. See http://davidcook.org/i8200 for an outline of the
                                install procedure I used.

                                Dave Cook
                              • selles45
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 8, 2004
                                  I received a Dell Inspiron 8200 for my birthday on March. At that
                                  moment it was the top of the line. Nvertheless I found out that the
                                  USB hubs are 1.0 and it wasnt compatible with an external DVD burner
                                  wich required a 2.0 USB. I have loked and looked at the Dell site
                                  and nowhere is a place to upgrade the machine . Neither do they
                                  offer a DVD CD writer for the Inspiron 8200. Is it possible that it
                                  turned obsolete so quickly? Can anyone help?
                                • Alexandre Tessier
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 8, 2004
                                    You can use IEEE1394 (firewire), if you have one on i8200, instead of
                                    USB1.1 to burn dvd on an external dvd recorder. I plan to do that on my
                                    C840. Note that I phone Dell and they will never sell mediabay dvd
                                    recorder for the latitude C series (similar to i8200 I think).

                                    Alex.

                                    --
                                    http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
                                    tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 8, 2004
                                      selles45 wrote:
                                      > I received a Dell Inspiron 8200 for my birthday on March. At that
                                      > moment it was the top of the line. Nvertheless I found out that the
                                      > USB hubs are 1.0 and it wasnt compatible with an external DVD burner
                                      > wich required a 2.0 USB. I have loked and looked at the Dell site
                                      > and nowhere is a place to upgrade the machine . Neither do they
                                      > offer a DVD CD writer for the Inspiron 8200. Is it possible that it
                                      > turned obsolete so quickly? Can anyone help?

                                      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                      You can buy one (new) from eBay to replace your old one - search for
                                      'CD/RW inspiron 8200' or something similar (you can get either a fixed
                                      bay one or an additional bay one). Another solution is to buy a PCMCIA
                                      USB 2.0 card ..

                                      Hans
                                    • Michael Klinteberg
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 8, 2004
                                        > I received a Dell Inspiron 8200 for my birthday on March. At that
                                        > moment it was the top of the line. Nvertheless I found out that the
                                        > USB hubs are 1.0 and it wasnt compatible with an external DVD burner
                                        > wich required a 2.0 USB. I have loked and looked at the Dell site
                                        > and nowhere is a place to upgrade the machine . Neither do they
                                        > offer a DVD CD writer for the Inspiron 8200. Is it possible that it
                                        > turned obsolete so quickly? Can anyone help?

                                        Have you tried both ports? My Dell Inspiron 8600 have one usb 1 and one usb
                                        2

                                        Michael K