Re: [linux-dell-laptops] network question

  • Nicolas Combe
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2002
      brave_buzz wrote:

      > Its been a long time since I played with linux and now I'm trying to
      > get eth0 running on my I8100(RH7.2). I'm trying to get TCP/IP working
      > but cant find linuxconf in KDE.

      You should have access to linuxconf using(as root) :
      /sbin/linuxconf

      /sbin is maybe not in your path !

      Nicolas

      Is there any utility more helpful
      > than the "network configuration"(this is gui based thing in kde)?
      > telnet, ftp etc arent working even though I've given a valid IP and
      > DNS, etc. It wont even telnet to the localhost! Could some one please
      > point me to a help page? I'm more comfortable with editing the
      > required config files. (PS: command "ifconfig <addr> <mask> up" too
      > didnt help)
      > Thanks!

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2002
        > telnet, ftp etc arent working even though I've given a valid IP and
        > DNS, etc. It wont even telnet to the localhost! Could some one please

        telnet usually requires xinetd. ftp requires an ftp daemon such as
        wu-ftpd. Instead, try enabling sshd through setup|system services and
        use ssh and sftp.
      • hnoerdli
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2002
          I just wanted to point out that I have read somewhere that either
          inetd or xinetd may be used, but not both. So if you choose xinetd,
          you may want to verify that you aren't already using inetd (correct
          me if I am wrong on this).

          I'm using SuSE and it comes preconfigured with inetd. The default
          installation (probably for security reasons) doesn't start telnet,
          ftp, and httpd services upon bootup. I may manually start them after
          bootup, or configure bootup parameters to start these services.

          henry noerdlinger
          Blessed are they who convert their neighbour's ox,
          For they shall inhibit their girth
          - Monty Python, Life of Brian