network question

  • brave_buzz
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2002
      Its been a long time since I played with linux and now I'm trying to
      get eth0 running on my I8100(RH7.2). I'm trying to get TCP/IP working
      but cant find linuxconf in KDE. Is there any utility more helpful
      than the "network configuration"(this is gui based thing in kde)?
      telnet, ftp etc arent working even though I've given a valid IP and
      DNS, etc. It wont even telnet to the localhost! Could some one please
      point me to a help page? I'm more comfortable with editing the
      required config files. (PS: command "ifconfig <addr> <mask> up" too
      didnt help)
      Thanks!
    • Nicolas Combe
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2002
        brave_buzz wrote:

        > Its been a long time since I played with linux and now I'm trying to
        > get eth0 running on my I8100(RH7.2). I'm trying to get TCP/IP working
        > but cant find linuxconf in KDE.

        You should have access to linuxconf using(as root) :
        /sbin/linuxconf

        /sbin is maybe not in your path !

        Nicolas

        Is there any utility more helpful
        > than the "network configuration"(this is gui based thing in kde)?
        > telnet, ftp etc arent working even though I've given a valid IP and
        > DNS, etc. It wont even telnet to the localhost! Could some one please
        > point me to a help page? I'm more comfortable with editing the
        > required config files. (PS: command "ifconfig <addr> <mask> up" too
        > didnt help)
        > Thanks!

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2002
          > telnet, ftp etc arent working even though I've given a valid IP and
          > DNS, etc. It wont even telnet to the localhost! Could some one please

          telnet usually requires xinetd. ftp requires an ftp daemon such as
          wu-ftpd. Instead, try enabling sshd through setup|system services and
          use ssh and sftp.
        • hnoerdli
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2002
            I just wanted to point out that I have read somewhere that either
            inetd or xinetd may be used, but not both. So if you choose xinetd,
            you may want to verify that you aren't already using inetd (correct
            me if I am wrong on this).

            I'm using SuSE and it comes preconfigured with inetd. The default
            installation (probably for security reasons) doesn't start telnet,
            ftp, and httpd services upon bootup. I may manually start them after
            bootup, or configure bootup parameters to start these services.

            henry noerdlinger
            Blessed are they who convert their neighbour's ox,
            For they shall inhibit their girth
            - Monty Python, Life of Brian