Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Framebuffer on i8k2

  • James H. Cloos Jr.
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1, 2002

      Thomas> I tried this, but it is not working, and another pity is: It
      Thomas> seems that vesa-framebuffer is not capable of resolutions
      Thomas> higher than 1280x1024 but I would like 1600x1200.

      The vesa mode number for resolutions above 1280x1024 is not
      standardized; every vga bios uses different numbers.

      On the radeon 7500 dell shiped in some of the 8100s, 1600x1200 is
      0x374 (aka 884 in decimal) for 16 bit colour, IIRC.

      Suse's yast2 can give a detailed hardware listing which mentions all
      of the vesa modes the vga bios on board supports. That is where I got
      the 0x374. I do not know how to get at that info on any of the other
      dists. I'm sure it is available, though.

      There is probably also a way to get that info in doze, before
      upgrading to linux.

      -JimC
    • Nils-Anders Duesund Nottseter
      Message 2 of 19 , May 1, 2002
        On Wed, 2002-05-01 at 09:39, James H. Cloos Jr. wrote:

        > Thomas> I tried this, but it is not working, and another pity is: It
        > Thomas> seems that vesa-framebuffer is not capable of resolutions
        > Thomas> higher than 1280x1024 but I would like 1600x1200.
        >
        > The vesa mode number for resolutions above 1280x1024 is not
        > standardized; every vga bios uses different numbers.
        >
        > On the radeon 7500 dell shiped in some of the 8100s, 1600x1200 is
        > 0x374 (aka 884 in decimal) for 16 bit colour, IIRC.
        >
        > Suse's yast2 can give a detailed hardware listing which mentions all
        > of the vesa modes the vga bios on board supports. That is where I got
        > the 0x374. I do not know how to get at that info on any of the other
        > dists. I'm sure it is available, though.
        >
        > There is probably also a way to get that info in doze, before
        > upgrading to linux.
        >
        > -JimC

        Great that somebody found some facts.
        Can anybody with gf2go or gf4go and suse find out what the numbers are
        for nvidia?

        --
        Nils-Anders
      • Swen Thuemmler
        Message 3 of 19 , May 2, 2002
          On 2 May 2002, Nils-Anders Duesund Nottseter wrote:

          > Great that somebody found some facts.
          > Can anybody with gf2go or gf4go and suse find out what the numbers are
          > for nvidia?

          Hi,

          on my i8k, the numbers are 837 and 838 (8bpp and 16bpp). Unfortunately it
          does not work for me: the resolution is set to 1600x1200, but there seems
          to be a problem with font sizes: it seems as if the font would use only
          every second pixel, so that the font is 4 times as large. Additionally,
          there are a lot of extra pixels somewhere on the screen (like white
          noise), so it is unusable this way.

          Has anybody a solution for this?

          --Swen