Re: XFree86 4.0.1 on an Inspiron 4000

  • bowill@fas.harvard.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2000
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, billings@n... wrote:
      > I've managed to get linux running on my 4000, but X has been a bit
      of
      > a problem. This laptop has an ATI Mobility M3 like the 5000e, but
      it
      > has a smaller screen, so I'm having a hard time finding the right
      > modelines. Has anyone any good advice for discovering the right
      > modelines? Anyone else running XFree on an 4000? Any help would be
      > appreciated.

      I was having the same trouble, but it works like a charm, now.

      First, make sure you've got the most up to date driver for the card
      (see the downloads page or some of the posts about the 5000e for
      details). I was able to find a compiled copy of just the driver one
      of the 5000e links on the Linux-on-Laptops page, as well. Wherever
      you find it, that's all you need to change (as long as you've got an
      otherwise complete XFree86 4.0.1 install).

      Next, run XFree86 with the -configure option. This will test your
      system, find the ATI Rage Mobility 128 card that comes with the 4000,
      and output a suitable XF86Config file to your root directory (or
      maybe to anywhere else you might happen to run it from).

      Now, make these additions to your new config file's Monitor section:
      HorizSync 28-90
      VertRefresh 50-62
      Option "DPMS"
      Do NOT add any modelines. You don't need them anymore, and your X'll
      work just fine without them.

      Finally, test out your new config file by running:
      XFree86 -xf86config /path/to/new/file/XF86Config.new

      If all went well (as it did for me), you will see a full 1024x768
      plain X screen come up on your monitor. If it worked, all you need
      to do now is copy this file over to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 add you've
      got a functioning X installation.

      Yippee, it works!! Now on to sound and networking!!!