Re: your mail

  • Rodney _meff_ Gordon II
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2002
      demosthenes_down_under (demosthenes@...) wrote:
      > Sounds good so far!!! Do you know if I can change around the
      > internal modem and LAN chipset if I need to? Maybe people were
      > referring to 3COM when drivers were not released or not working. Why
      > do you use a modem card?

      Hey no problem man, I wish I had someone to answer things for me :)
      The modem and the 3COM netcard are integrated into the motherboard, so
      you can't change em. I use a modem card because winmodems, even if they
      have a linux driver, are flakey and use the processor alot.

      > Do you know if the Wireless LAN card takes up the PCMCIA slot or goes
      > in the internal PCI slot?

      Internal PCI, linux pcmcia services pick it up as Slot 0 (It thinks you
      have slot 0,1,and 2 (0 is the internal one)) as an orinoco_cs card..

      > I am really struggling to find any problems people have had with Dell
      > and Linux that are replicated across a number of people or are
      > consistent problems.

      None accept for the damn nvidia drivers not supporting APM yet.

      > What do you mean AGP support? I thought AGP was supported for
      > Nvidia? Does this mean my games and DVDs will be bad?

      Nonono, games and DVD's are wonderful! Just, you can't suspend the
      laptop yet (no power management support for the video cards)

      > Thanks for your help!

      No prob! next time make sure to reply to the list so others can see our
      conversation :)

      -r

      --
      Rodney "meff" Gordon II - meff@...

      -->
      Two can Live as Cheaply as One for Half as Long.
      -- Howard Kandel