Inspiron 8200 Crystal / Cyrus Logic CS4205 sound chipset in Linux?

  • demosthenes_down_under
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2002

      I am about to purchase a Dell 8200 Inspiron to use almost exclusively
      with Linux. Does anyone know what difficulty if any I will have with
      the sound chipset? It is listed as SoundBlaster compatible - so
      perhaps a generic SB driver will work. I will also require the SPDIF
      fport to work in the future when I want to watch DVDs in Linux with
      5.1 sound.

      I also know that I should order the Lucent ethernet / internal modem
      combination card as this should work under Linux rather than the 3COM
      card as this almost guaranteed not to work apparantly.

      I also want to get the TrueMobile internal wireless LAN card - does
      anyone know if this will work with Linux?

      Does anyone have any other experience with the Inspiron 8200 and
      Linux?

      Thanks!
      Any pointers?

      Thanks!
    • Rodney _meff_ Gordon II
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2002
        demosthenes_down_under (demosthenes@...) wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I am about to purchase a Dell 8200 Inspiron to use almost exclusively
        > with Linux. Does anyone know what difficulty if any I will have with
        > the sound chipset? It is listed as SoundBlaster compatible - so
        > perhaps a generic SB driver will work. I will also require the SPDIF
        > fport to work in the future when I want to watch DVDs in Linux with
        > 5.1 sound.

        The soundcard is a Intel ICH I810 Integrated chipset card, works fine
        under linux, and I can play DVD's fine, with the right software you
        should be able to get output to spdif if there is a spdif port (I didn't
        check so I don't know :) )

        > I also know that I should order the Lucent ethernet / internal modem
        > combination card as this should work under Linux rather than the 3COM
        > card as this almost guaranteed not to work apparantly.

        With the 8200 the modem and ethernet are integrated. The 3COM net works
        perfect with the 3c59x driver, and the modem is a HSF Rockwell modem
        apparently, from reading posts from here. I personally am just using a
        non-winmodem Xircom PCMCIA card for a modem.

        > I also want to get the TrueMobile internal wireless LAN card - does
        > anyone know if this will work with Linux?

        Works perfectly with latest pcmcia-cs and wireless-tools. Typing on my
        system using it now ;)

        > Does anyone have any other experience with the Inspiron 8200 and
        > Linux?

        Works great, accept waiting on NVidia for APM support in their geforce
        drivers *grr*

        --
        Rodney "meff" Gordon II - meff@...

        -->
        Patch griefs with proverbs.
        -- William Shakespeare, "Much Ado About Nothing"
      • Thomas Deselaers
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2002
          On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 08:51:29PM -0500, Rodney _meff_ Gordon II wrote:
          > demosthenes_down_under (demosthenes@...) wrote:
          > > Does anyone have any other experience with the Inspiron 8200 and
          > > Linux?
          >
          > Works great, accept waiting on NVidia for APM support in their geforce
          > drivers *grr*

          And even this works with the small "patch" which is outlined in section
          1.1 in the faq. You just change two lines in the source-parts of the
          nvidia-kernel-driver and apm s2r works fine.
          Thus only thing I cannot make work is suspend to disk.

          thomas

          «< Unless stated otherwise everything I write is just my opinion >»
        • Rodney _meff_ Gordon II
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2002
            Ermm, Thomas? I can't get S2R to work, when I resume the LCD is all
            messed up and I have to hard reboot. I made sure AGP was off and all..
            Are you sure you got it working with the GeForce4 440 Go?

            Thomas Deselaers (thomas@...) wrote:
            > And even this works with the small "patch" which is outlined in section
            > 1.1 in the faq. You just change two lines in the source-parts of the
            > nvidia-kernel-driver and apm s2r works fine.
            > Thus only thing I cannot make work is suspend to disk.

            --
            Rodney "meff" Gordon II - meff@...

            -->
            If you're constantly being mistreated, you're cooperating with the treatment.
          • craigos_au
            Message 5 of 5 , May 9, 2002

              I definately have S2R working with a i8200 and the GeForce4 440 Go.

              Are you sure you have removed the two kernel modules BEFORE you hit
              Fn-Escape?? (e.g. shut down X, rmmod the two drivers and then Fn-Esc)

              I have a script for doing the S2R, which basically removes the two
              modules and then does a "apm --standby". This works fine.

              I don't have the two modules handy, the laptop is off at the moment (I
              haven't gotten around to S2D yet, going to try now.)

              Craig

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Rodney _meff_ Gordon II <meff@p...>