Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Framebuffer on i8k2

  • Brad Langhorst
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 30, 2002
      --- Markus Kohli <kohli@...> wrote:

      > > Then change vga=0x307 to vga=0x884 for 1600x1200
      >
      > Don't think that's gonna work. The 0x??? format is
      > octal or something like
      > that.
      don't fear non base 10 numbers ;)
      >Try a pure vga=884, like in my config.

      um - i'm pretty sure it is supposed to be hex

      by the way anybody know the code for 1400x1050
      or do i have to start digging in the source?

      from /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt
      ----+-------------------------------------
      | 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x102
      256 | 0x301 0x303 0x305 0x307
      32k | 0x310 0x313 0x316 0x319
      64k | 0x311 0x314 0x317 0x31A
      16M | 0x312 0x315 0x318 0x31B

      note the 0x31A

      i'm pretty sure that lilo just interprets it as hex
      but
      you should pass it right in case that changes.

      brad

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • Brad Langhorst
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 30, 2002

        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 30, 2002
          --- Markus Kohli <kohli@...> wrote:

          > > Then change vga=0x307 to vga=0x884 for 1600x1200
          >
          > Don't think that's gonna work. The 0x??? format is
          > octal or something like
          > that.
          don't fear non base 10 numbers ;)
          >Try a pure vga=884, like in my config.

          um - i'm pretty sure it is supposed to be hex

          by the way anybody know the code for 1400x1050
          or do i have to start digging in the source?

          from /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt
          ----+-------------------------------------
          | 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x102
          256 | 0x301 0x303 0x305 0x307
          32k | 0x310 0x313 0x316 0x319
          64k | 0x311 0x314 0x317 0x31A
          16M | 0x312 0x315 0x318 0x31B

          note the 0x31A

          i'm pretty sure that lilo just interprets it as hex
          but
          you should pass it right in case that changes.

          brad

          http://health.yahoo.com
        • emil kirschner
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 30, 2002
            what framebuffer driver do you guys use? vesa
            definitely doesn't work with 2.4.5 (actually it does,
            the problem is that if I close the screen (blank the
            console) and reopen it, the screen coordinates are
            translated (after clear yout cursor would be in the
            middle of the screen). I'm about to upgrade to 2.4.18

            did anyone else have this problem already?

            Cheers,
            e.

            --- Brad Langhorst <bwlang@...> wrote:

            > --- Markus Kohli <kohli@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Then change vga=0x307 to vga=0x884 for 1600x1200
            > >
            > > Don't think that's gonna work. The 0x??? format is
            > > octal or something like
            > > that.
            > don't fear non base 10 numbers ;)
            > >Try a pure vga=884, like in my config.
            >
            > um - i'm pretty sure it is supposed to be hex
            >
            > by the way anybody know the code for 1400x1050
            > or do i have to start digging in the source?
            >
            > from /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt
            > ----+-------------------------------------
            > | 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x102
            > 256 | 0x301 0x303 0x305 0x307
            > 32k | 0x310 0x313 0x316 0x319
            > 64k | 0x311 0x314 0x317 0x31A
            > 16M | 0x312 0x315 0x318 0x31B
            >
            > note the 0x31A
            >
            > i'm pretty sure that lilo just interprets it as hex
            > but
            > you should pass it right in case that changes.
            >
            > brad

            http://health.yahoo.com
          • Rodney _meff_ Gordon II
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 30, 2002
              vesafb works for me
              its a known bug for rivafb to not be able to coexist with NVdriver..

              Thomas Deselaers (thomas@...) wrote:
              > Hello,
              >
              > is here someone successful in using vesa framebuffer on i8k2?
              >
              > I tried this, but it is not working, and another pity is: It seems that
              > vesa-framebuffer is not capable of resolutions higher than 1280x1024 but
              > I would like 1600x1200.
              >
              > Greeting,
              > thomas
              > --
              > thomas@... ?<>? JabberID on request ?<>? GPG/PGP key on request
              > ?< Unless stated otherwise everything I write is just my opinion >?

              Rodney "meff" Gordon II - meff@...

              -->
              Love is never asking why?
            • Domsalla, Thorsten
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 30, 2002
                > the problem is that if I close the screen (blank the
                > console) and reopen it, the screen coordinates are
                > [...]
                > did anyone else have this problem already?

                Yes, still in 2.4.18 ... :-(

                TJ
              • James H. Cloos Jr.
                Message 7 of 19 , May 1, 2002

                  Thomas> I tried this, but it is not working, and another pity is: It
                  Thomas> seems that vesa-framebuffer is not capable of resolutions
                  Thomas> higher than 1280x1024 but I would like 1600x1200.

                  The vesa mode number for resolutions above 1280x1024 is not
                  standardized; every vga bios uses different numbers.

                  On the radeon 7500 dell shiped in some of the 8100s, 1600x1200 is
                  0x374 (aka 884 in decimal) for 16 bit colour, IIRC.

                  Suse's yast2 can give a detailed hardware listing which mentions all
                  of the vesa modes the vga bios on board supports. That is where I got
                  the 0x374. I do not know how to get at that info on any of the other
                  dists. I'm sure it is available, though.

                  There is probably also a way to get that info in doze, before
                  upgrading to linux.

                  -JimC
                • Nils-Anders Duesund Nottseter
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 1, 2002
                    On Wed, 2002-05-01 at 09:39, James H. Cloos Jr. wrote:

                    > Thomas> I tried this, but it is not working, and another pity is: It
                    > Thomas> seems that vesa-framebuffer is not capable of resolutions
                    > Thomas> higher than 1280x1024 but I would like 1600x1200.
                    >
                    > The vesa mode number for resolutions above 1280x1024 is not
                    > standardized; every vga bios uses different numbers.
                    >
                    > On the radeon 7500 dell shiped in some of the 8100s, 1600x1200 is
                    > 0x374 (aka 884 in decimal) for 16 bit colour, IIRC.
                    >
                    > Suse's yast2 can give a detailed hardware listing which mentions all
                    > of the vesa modes the vga bios on board supports. That is where I got
                    > the 0x374. I do not know how to get at that info on any of the other
                    > dists. I'm sure it is available, though.
                    >
                    > There is probably also a way to get that info in doze, before
                    > upgrading to linux.
                    >
                    > -JimC

                    Great that somebody found some facts.
                    Can anybody with gf2go or gf4go and suse find out what the numbers are
                    for nvidia?

                    --
                    Nils-Anders
                  • Swen Thuemmler
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 2, 2002
                      On 2 May 2002, Nils-Anders Duesund Nottseter wrote:

                      > Great that somebody found some facts.
                      > Can anybody with gf2go or gf4go and suse find out what the numbers are
                      > for nvidia?

                      Hi,

                      on my i8k, the numbers are 837 and 838 (8bpp and 16bpp). Unfortunately it
                      does not work for me: the resolution is set to 1600x1200, but there seems
                      to be a problem with font sizes: it seems as if the font would use only
                      every second pixel, so that the font is 4 times as large. Additionally,
                      there are a lot of extra pixels somewhere on the screen (like white
                      noise), so it is unusable this way.

                      Has anybody a solution for this?

                      --Swen