Inspiron 3800 RH 7

  • Max Andersen
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 28, 2000
      Hi!

      I've just upgraded to RH 7 on my Inspiron 3800 and it seems to work
      as planned except for two things:

      1. The sound drivers from opensound.com does not work anymore.
      I hope it is just a reinstallation that is needed to fix this - I'll
      return with more info.

      2. The "jittering" in X is back!! This was removed in RH 6.x by using
      another X-driver, but is this also possible under RH 7 with XFree86
      v.4 ?? Anyone ?

      Max
    • Stefano
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 28, 2000
        On Saturday 28/10/2000, Max Andersen wrote:

        > Hi!
        > I've just upgraded to RH 7 on my Inspiron 3800 and it seems to work
        > as planned except for two things:

        I've rh7 on an Inspiron 3800 too.

        > 1. The sound drivers from opensound.com does not work anymore.
        > I hope it is just a reinstallation that is needed to fix this - I'll
        > return with more info.

        It works for me, only for 20 minutes but it works.

        > 2. The "jittering" in X is back!! This was removed in RH 6.x by using
        > another X-driver, but is this also possible under RH 7 with XFree86
        > v.4 ?? Anyone ?

        Try add "fifo_conservative" option to your XF86 setup.

        Section "Device"
        Indentifier "Ati Rage Mobility M1"
        VideRaom 8192
        Option "fifo_conservative"
        EndSection

        On my system X currently works with v4.0.1 and v3.3.6, but i'm
        still using 3.3.6 because it offers accelerated support to the
        video chipset.

        Stefano
      • Max R. Andersen
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 29, 2000
          On Sat, 28 Oct 2000, Stefano wrote:

          > On Saturday 28/10/2000, Max Andersen wrote:
          >
          > > Hi!
          > > I've just upgraded to RH 7 on my Inspiron 3800 and it seems to work
          > > as planned except for two things:
          >
          > I've rh7 on an Inspiron 3800 too.
          >
          > > 1. The sound drivers from opensound.com does not work anymore.
          > > I hope it is just a reinstallation that is needed to fix this - I'll
          > > return with more info.
          >
          > It works for me, only for 20 minutes but it works.

          The reinstallation was enough. So now the oss sound drivers works :)

          > > 2. The "jittering" in X is back!! This was removed in RH 6.x by using
          > > another X-driver, but is this also possible under RH 7 with XFree86
          > > v.4 ?? Anyone ?

          It seems that the upgrade did not activate X 4.01 thus I ran xf86cfg
          manually and then I got X 4.01 and no jitter.

          Now I have X 4.01 can someone tell me what the advantages are for me as
          an Inspiron 3800 owner ? Is there something that is faster, easier,
          fancier whatever ? :) (cauze I can't see much difference)

          > Try add "fifo_conservative" option to your XF86 setup.
          >
          > Section "Device"
          > Indentifier "Ati Rage Mobility M1"
          > VideRaom 8192
          > Option "fifo_conservative"
          > EndSection
          >
          > On my system X currently works with v4.0.1 and v3.3.6, but i'm
          > still using 3.3.6 because it offers accelerated support to the
          > video chipset.

          I thought the Ati Rage series was accelercated (even 3d accelerated) in
          the new X 4.01 ?

          Max R. Andersen (max@...)
        • Stefano
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2000
            On Sunday 29/10/2000, Max R. Andersen wrote:

            > > On my system X currently works with v4.0.1 and v3.3.6, but i'm
            > > still using 3.3.6 because it offers accelerated support to the
            > > video chipset.

            from http://www.xfree86.org/4.0.1/Status6.html#6

            3.3.6:
            Accelerated support is provided for [...] Rage Mobility (LM, LN,
            LR, LS) (by the XF86_Mach64 server).

            4.0.1:
            Accelerated support is provided for the Rage 128 chips by the
            "r128" driver. Accelerated support is provided for the Mach64
            Rage variants by the "ati" driver. Unaccelerated support is
            provided for all of the others except the Mach8 and some early
            Mach32 chips by the "ati" driver.

            Mach8 and some old Mach32 chips. The support in 4.0.1 is,
            however, unaccelerated for all chips except the Mach64, Rage and
            Rage 128 variants.

            But, personally, i can't see the difference between accelerated
            3.3.6 and unaccelerated 4.0.1.

            Stefano