8100 and time lose and battery status....

  • xenome3
    Message 1 of 36 , Apr 25, 2002
      Hi, I've got an inspiron 8100 with the A10 bios.

      I had some warrenty work done on my laptop and dell upgraded
      the bios while they had it (aren't they just so sweet) well my clock loses
      time now, actually it always did that, but the battery status definately
      stopped working when I got the laptop back. It says -1 charged all the time
      it detects when I go to the battery or AC, but not how much juice is left.

      The clock thing is driving me nuts...it loses a few minutes every few days.
      The bios seems to be the one with the wrong time, but I'm not sure if linux
      saves the time to the hardware clock or not (i'm using debian)
      either way, both the hw clock and the system time are wrong, they slow down.
      I'm using kernel 2.4.18

      anyone got any ideas on this???

      Thanks,
      Joseph
    • Tim Roberts
      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 30, 2002
        On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 06:36:19 -0600, Chris Hirsch <chris@...>
        wrote:

        >Ok...so then it must be linux because nobody seems to have a problem
        >with windows.

        Windows doesn't derive its time from the processor cycle counter. It uses the
        motherboard countdown timer, which always runs at 1.193MHz.

        Frankly, I thought the Linux kernel did the same thing, but this thread makes
        me wonder.

        --
        - Tim Roberts, timr@...
        Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.