Re: [linux-dell-laptops] How to make my Xircom 10/100+56k work?

  • neal mcdermott
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21, 2002
      cesar_cem wrote:

      > I have mandrake 8.2 and i finally could install correctly the NVIDIA
      > drivers and have XWindow working. With Full OpenGL acceleration and
      > 1600x1200 resolution. Also sound is working well.
      >
      > The problem that i have is that eventhough my PCMCIA card is
      > detected and i can see it under list hardware at Mandrake control
      > center i never get a dial up connection or lan communication.
      >
      > At the control center it appears:
      > Modem
      > -Xircom Cardbus 10/100+56k
      > --Vendor:Xircom
      > --Model: Cardbus 100/100+56k
      > --Kernel Module: unknown
      > --bus type:PCI
      >
      > and when i try to dial to my isp i receive a message
      > saying: /dev/modem not found ..., i'd tried every device under this
      > menu, tty0* and tts* (i think it says tht)
      >
      > with LAN:
      > -Xircom Cardbus 10/100+56k
      > --Vendor:Xircom
      > --Model: Cardbus 100/100+56k
      > --Kernel Module: tulip_cb
      > --bus type:PCI
      >
      > I've noticed that when i'm starting Mandrake I see some errors
      > referring to insmod and modeprobe:
      > something like this:
      > --insmod xircom_tulip_cb failed
      > and
      > --insmod xircom_cb failed
      > and other that says insmod xxxx1394 failed.
      >
      > Could it be the problem, insmod?
      >
      > I'm just starting with Linux and I really have no idea of what to
      > do, please help me.
      >

      > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
      > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=217097.2003762.3481930.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1708211820:HM/A=1042587/R=0/*http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=29150849&siteid=39282504&bfpage=account>

      I have the same Xircom card and am using it with SuSE 7.3 and had
      similar problems. I am new to Linux too and basically I just fiddled
      with options till I got it to work. The most important thing for me was
      to set it up as device: dev/ttyS3. With SuSE 7.3, it never worked as
      long as the dialer was looking for the card as /dev/modem. That said, I
      have found it necessary still to find workarounds for the quirks of this
      system.

      For example, I found that it couldn't find the modem if I had it
      configured to ask for a password, but it worked if I had it configured
      to save the password. Also, if it comes out of suspend, it doesn't
      work, but if I restart it, it works. Also, if I use the windows
      partition, then try to reboot into Linux, it doesn't work, but if I do a
      shutdown, then restart later, it works.

      My point here is, for me as a beginner anyway, that there are weird
      quirks to work around like this and you just have to fiddle and try
      different stuff, and be ready to live with some weird little
      characteristics of Linux. I am sure this is not true for Linux
      geniuses, who just go in and edit the config files, but I have not
      reached that point yet.

      Anyway, for me, the most important thing was configuring the card as
      dev/ttyS3. Hope that helps

      Neal McDermott