Lycoris won't boot on a Dell Inspiron 5000 (w/ GRUB)

  • bradley_root
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2002
      Hi, I'm a newbie who absolutely loves using Lycoris;
      but I'm having problems with my bootloader. GRUB
      freezes every time I try to boot Linux--this happens
      both when I try to boot from my hard drive and when I
      try to boot from my boot disk.

      The only way I can boot up Lycoris is to insert the
      Installation CD and choose the upgrade option. I do
      not have a dual boot; my entire hard drive is
      dedicated to Lycoris.

      I'm wondering if there is a conflict with my
      computer's bios (I have a Dell Inspiron 5000) since my
      friend who also has an Inspiron 5000 is having the
      same problem with Lycoris (but not RedHat).

      I tried installing LILO, but after I run the Quick
      installation, my computer still uses GRUB to boot.
      I'm sure that I am just installing LILO wrong.

      I'm hoping someone out there can either teach me how to
      install LILO or teach me how to get Lycoris to boot on my Dell.

      Thanks.