XP upgrade

  • J. Orrell
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 3, 2002
      Hello,

      Am I correct in assuming that if I do an upgrade from ME to XP on my i8k,
      windows will obliterate my linux partitions?

      Thanks,
      John O.

      "I don't think we have even seen the tip of the iceberg yet."
      - A business "professional" commenting on future growth in IT.
    • paul@dpagin.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2002
        No, XP will ask where you want to install it. If you have free space
        you're good. If not, create some free space. Of heard of "partd"
        being used on Linux.

      • ffrank@rz.uni-potsdam.de
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2002
          "J. Orrell" <jorrell@...> schrieb:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Am I correct in assuming that if I do an upgrade from ME to XP on my i8k,
          > windows will obliterate my linux partitions?

          No, not necessarily. The WinXP that came with my I8K is a standard
          installation CD, not a recovery CD. Thus, it's got a kind of fdisk where
          you can select the partition to use.

          Bye, Frank
          --
          Frank Fürst, physikalische Biochemie, Universität Potsdam, Germany
          Tel.: +49-331-977-5062 Fax: +49-331-977-5062
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2002
            > No, not necessarily. The WinXP that came with my I8K is a standard
            > installation CD, not a recovery CD. Thus, it's got a kind of fdisk where
            > you can select the partition to use.

            As a test, I'm installing the XP that came with the 8100 on a PC. It
            seems to work. I have a non-related lock-up issue with my PC right
            now, so I can't finishing installing right now.

            BTW, I would rather get OS X on my PC instead of XP.
          • John Laurence Orrell
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 3, 2002
              On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 paul@... wrote:

              > > No, not necessarily. The WinXP that came with my I8K is a standard
              > > installation CD, not a recovery CD. Thus, it's got a kind of fdisk where
              > > you can select the partition to use.
              >
              > As a test, I'm installing the XP that came with the 8100 on a PC. It
              > seems to work. I have a non-related lock-up issue with my PC right
              > now, so I can't finishing installing right now.
              >
              > BTW, I would rather get OS X on my PC instead of XP.

              Whoa! That is possible?

            • paul@dpagin.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 3, 2002
                > > BTW, I would rather get OS X on my PC instead of XP.
                >
                > Whoa! That is possible?

                So far, I've found that the core of OS X, Darwin, can run on x86. I
                don't know about OS X itself. Darwin is free, OS X costs $129.00.

                http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/development_tools/darwin.html
              • Mads Bondo Dydensborg
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 3, 2002
                  On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 paul@... wrote:

                  > > > BTW, I would rather get OS X on my PC instead of XP.
                  > >
                  > > Whoa! That is possible?
                  >
                  > So far, I've found that the core of OS X, Darwin, can run on x86. I
                  > don't know about OS X itself. Darwin is free, OS X costs $129.00.

                  AFAIK OS X will not run on x86. The rationale would be obvious; If you
                  want OS X, you must buy apple hardware.

                  Mads

                  --
                  Mads Bondo Dydensborg. madsdyd@...
                  I'd say that Microsoft has every right to expect a user to buy a license
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 3, 2002
                    OS X will NOT run on x86 hardware. Although Apple has Open Sourced their
                    kernel, which has allowed for a x86 port, they haven't opened up the higher
                    level toolkits (ie, Carbon, Cocoa and Aqua). So you can get the basic unix
                    system that is OS X but none of their fancy GUI. But then you could always
                    just run X :)

                    --
                    http://freak-tasia.com

                    All our thoughts that's fit to write and then some
                  • Tim Roberts
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 4, 2002
                      On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 21:49:03 -0500, Nebular <nebular@...> wrote:

                      >OS X will NOT run on x86 hardware. Although Apple has Open Sourced their
                      >kernel, which has allowed for a x86 port, they haven't opened up the higher
                      >level toolkits (ie, Carbon, Cocoa and Aqua). So you can get the basic unix
                      >system that is OS X but none of their fancy GUI. But then you could always
                      >just run X :)

                      Yes, you could: XFree86 now supports Darwin.

                      --
                      - Tim Roberts, timr@...
                      Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 22, 2002
                        I have a Dell I8000 and I installed Gentoo on it(several times
                        actually) and KDE(several times-took longer than the kernel
                        install), it never seemed to overheat or behave strangely.

                        Kent

                        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "greenhorn666be" <greenhorn@e...>
                        wrote:
                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > As gentoo linux has just released it's first release, I thought
                        I'll