VMware with WinXP guest on C810

  • jmhofheim
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2002
      Hi!

      Anyone running a Latitude C810 (or similar, with NVIDIA card) under
      Linux with WinXP as VMware guest??

      I can't get the thing to install XP from CD. And it keeps
      complaining that no DGA is available.

      The other way round works ok (XP as host) but that's not what I
      really want.

      Any help appriciated!!!

      Thanks
      Juergen
    • Morten Wang
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2002
        * jmhofheim
        > Anyone running a Latitude C810 (or similar, with NVIDIA card) under
        > Linux with WinXP as VMware guest??

        Inspiron 8k1, Nvidia-card here. don't know if that helps.

        > I can't get the thing to install XP from CD. And it keeps
        > complaining that no DGA is available.

        I had to set the VM's disk controllers to PIO-mode, in other words
        turn off DMA, without it XP wouldn't correctly format the drive.

        apart from that XP installed like a charm, correctly booting from the
        CD and all.

        Morten!

        --
        "...a liquid which was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea."
        My opinions are not necessarily those of my provider,
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2002
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Morten Wang <warnckew@o...> wrote:
          > * jmhofheim
          > > Anyone running a Latitude C810 (or similar, with NVIDIA card)
          under
          > > Linux with WinXP as VMware guest??
          >
          > Inspiron 8k1, Nvidia-card here. don't know if that helps.
          >
          > > I can't get the thing to install XP from CD. And it keeps
          > > complaining that no DGA is available.
          >
          > I had to set the VM's disk controllers to PIO-mode, in other words
          > turn off DMA, without it XP wouldn't correctly format the drive.
          >
          > apart from that XP installed like a charm, correctly booting from
          the
          > CD and all.
          >

          > Morten!
          >
          > --
          > "...a liquid which was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea."
          > My opinions are not necessarily those of my provider,
          > not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.

          If you are using the XP disk that came from dell I have had the same
          trouble. First I was in win2k and was using vmware to try to run
          XP. but I never go that working. Then in mandrake running vmware I
          was able to get win2k running but I have never gotten XP to load. It
          fires up really slow, and evenutally boots off the cd. but
          everything is really suspended takes a long time to get anywhere.

          In linux I was able to get to the point if formatting the partition
          then it reboots and starts over. but that is as far as I have gotten.

          Not really any good info, but at least you know you arent alone

          Take Care
          simeon
        • Morten Wang
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2002
            * simbateman
            > ... but I have never gotten XP to load. It fires up really slow,
            > and evenutally boots off the cd. but everything is really suspended
            > takes a long time to get anywhere.
            >
            > In linux I was able to get to the point if formatting the partition
            > then it reboots and starts over. but that is as far as I have gotten.

            this is the same behaviour I experienced until I shut off UDMA disk
            access in the VM (hit F2 when the VM boots to enter setup, then you
            can access the Primary & Secondary Master & Slave settings to shut of
            UDMA). that's also the same suggested solution I found after googling
            a bit, IIRC it wasn't mentioned on Dell's message board.

            once I had UDMA off it ran correctly.

            Morten!