reiserfs SuSE 7.2 Professional

  • Andrew McGlashan
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2002
      I have a 'standard' install of 2.4.4 kernel of SuSE 7.2 Professional (desktop dual 466c processors in a BP6 motherboard -- I know, it is not a dell laptop, but when I get this sorted, I might update the laptop with a kernel rebuild.  All is Okay without a kernel rebuild, but I want to use more features that the stock kernel gives me.).

      Trouble is when I compile my own kernel, it can not mount the / fs (reiserfs).

      I have tried using initrd with reiserfs; I have tried including reiserfs in the kernel with =y setting.

      Lilo seems to be setup fine.

      Here is the text leading up to the kernel panic that I get:

      -----------------
      Using /lib/modules/2.4.4-SMP/kernel/fs/reiserfs/reiserfs.o
      kmod:failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-3, errno = 2
      VFS: Cannot open root device "345" or 03:45
      kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:45
      -----------------

      I can boot fine from the SuSE DVD -- I go through the install options until I get to a screen that allows me to boot an existing installation; that boots fine.

      Does anyone have a good .config file for this setup?  I want to use that as a base...

      Thanks

      AndrewM
    • Steve Briggs
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2002
        I have had this problem as well.
        When you rebuild your kernel DONT put ReiserFS in as a modules.
        Compile ReiserFS directly into the kernel.

        This fixed the problem for me.

        Steve........