Gentoo Linux and my i8k's fans

  • greenhorn666be
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2, 2002

      As gentoo linux has just released it's first release, I thought I'll
      give it a try on my Dell Inspiron 8100...
      But! Since that distribution does compile everything from scratch on
      install, how will my fans behave?
      I wonder, because I once left the notebook powered on over night at
      login prompt ( no I don't use (x|g|k)dm ). Next morning, I logged in,
      launched X and gkrellm reported the cpu temp to be about 61°C and
      launched the both fans at full speed - I suppose the fans never
      started to cool down the machine because I use a Dell i8k aware kernel
      and do control fans using Massimo Dal Zotto's i8kutils with the
      GKrellM plugin to it (which were not running at login prompt)...
      Or does the BIOS never turn on the fans by itselfs (even with a base
      kernel)?
      Should I be afraid having my cpu melting down trying to install gentoo
      linux on my Dell Inspiron, cause it'll have it to compile for hours
      with no manual fan control available...?

      Thanks,

      Alex
    • J. Orrell
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2002
        Hello,

        Am I correct in assuming that if I do an upgrade from ME to XP on my i8k,
        windows will obliterate my linux partitions?

        Thanks,
        John O.

        "I don't think we have even seen the tip of the iceberg yet."
        - A business "professional" commenting on future growth in IT.
      • paul@dpagin.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2002
          No, XP will ask where you want to install it. If you have free space
          you're good. If not, create some free space. Of heard of "partd"
          being used on Linux.

        • ffrank@rz.uni-potsdam.de
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2002
            "J. Orrell" <jorrell@...> schrieb:

            > Hello,
            >
            > Am I correct in assuming that if I do an upgrade from ME to XP on my i8k,
            > windows will obliterate my linux partitions?

            No, not necessarily. The WinXP that came with my I8K is a standard
            installation CD, not a recovery CD. Thus, it's got a kind of fdisk where
            you can select the partition to use.

            Bye, Frank
            --
            Frank Fürst, physikalische Biochemie, Universität Potsdam, Germany
            Tel.: +49-331-977-5062 Fax: +49-331-977-5062
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 3, 2002
              > No, not necessarily. The WinXP that came with my I8K is a standard
              > installation CD, not a recovery CD. Thus, it's got a kind of fdisk where
              > you can select the partition to use.

              As a test, I'm installing the XP that came with the 8100 on a PC. It
              seems to work. I have a non-related lock-up issue with my PC right
              now, so I can't finishing installing right now.

              BTW, I would rather get OS X on my PC instead of XP.
            • John Laurence Orrell
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 3, 2002
                On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 paul@... wrote:

                > > No, not necessarily. The WinXP that came with my I8K is a standard
                > > installation CD, not a recovery CD. Thus, it's got a kind of fdisk where
                > > you can select the partition to use.
                >
                > As a test, I'm installing the XP that came with the 8100 on a PC. It
                > seems to work. I have a non-related lock-up issue with my PC right
                > now, so I can't finishing installing right now.
                >
                > BTW, I would rather get OS X on my PC instead of XP.

                Whoa! That is possible?

              • paul@dpagin.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 3, 2002
                  > > BTW, I would rather get OS X on my PC instead of XP.
                  >
                  > Whoa! That is possible?

                  So far, I've found that the core of OS X, Darwin, can run on x86. I
                  don't know about OS X itself. Darwin is free, OS X costs $129.00.

                  http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/development_tools/darwin.html
                • Mads Bondo Dydensborg
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 3, 2002
                    On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 paul@... wrote:

                    > > > BTW, I would rather get OS X on my PC instead of XP.
                    > >
                    > > Whoa! That is possible?
                    >
                    > So far, I've found that the core of OS X, Darwin, can run on x86. I
                    > don't know about OS X itself. Darwin is free, OS X costs $129.00.

                    AFAIK OS X will not run on x86. The rationale would be obvious; If you
                    want OS X, you must buy apple hardware.

                    Mads

                    --
                    Mads Bondo Dydensborg. madsdyd@...
                    I'd say that Microsoft has every right to expect a user to buy a license
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 3, 2002
                      OS X will NOT run on x86 hardware. Although Apple has Open Sourced their
                      kernel, which has allowed for a x86 port, they haven't opened up the higher
                      level toolkits (ie, Carbon, Cocoa and Aqua). So you can get the basic unix
                      system that is OS X but none of their fancy GUI. But then you could always
                      just run X :)

                      --
                      http://freak-tasia.com

                      All our thoughts that's fit to write and then some
                    • Tim Roberts
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 4, 2002
                        On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 21:49:03 -0500, Nebular <nebular@...> wrote:

                        >OS X will NOT run on x86 hardware. Although Apple has Open Sourced their
                        >kernel, which has allowed for a x86 port, they haven't opened up the higher
                        >level toolkits (ie, Carbon, Cocoa and Aqua). So you can get the basic unix
                        >system that is OS X but none of their fancy GUI. But then you could always
                        >just run X :)

                        Yes, you could: XFree86 now supports Darwin.

                        --
                        - Tim Roberts, timr@...
                        Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 22, 2002
                          I have a Dell I8000 and I installed Gentoo on it(several times
                          actually) and KDE(several times-took longer than the kernel
                          install), it never seemed to overheat or behave strangely.

                          Kent

                          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "greenhorn666be" <greenhorn@e...>