Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 8k and redhat 6.1

  • Stephen Lau
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 2, 2002
      i'm curious...why are you trying to install 6.1... that's years old..

      -steve

      --
      stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
      http://www.whacked.net/oss/ldl
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2, 2002
        What's even more curious is I have a similar problem on an 8ki with Red
        Hat 7.2! Worked fine on 7.1. I still have no solution.

        > i'm curious...why are you trying to install 6.1... that's years old..
        >
        > -steve
        >
        > On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 11:24:23PM -0000, prometheusj2002 wrote:
        > > Have installed redhat 6.1 on my inspiron 8k. Everything went fine and
        > > it's all working alright except when I tried to set up Xwindows.
        > > Nothing worked so I downloaded ther latest version of XFree86
        > > installed that and still can't get it to work. Every time I try to
        > > probe something the screen blacks out and the system hangs. What do I
        > > need to do to fix this problem and to get the GUI working or is this
        > > just a lost cause?
        > >
        > > System:
        > > PIII 850mhz
        > > 20G
        > > 128mb RAM
        > > ATI RAGE MOBILITY 128 AGP 4x Graphics Adapter
        > > ESS Maestro PCI Audio (WDM)
        > >
        > > Panel: Max. Supported Res. 1400 x 1050
        > > Max. Supported Refresh Rate 60Hz
      • andy
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2, 2002
          On Tuesday 02 April 2002 06:40 pm, you wrote:
          > i'm curious...why are you trying to install 6.1... that's years old..

          As Wiz Zumwalt would say, "Don't ask a question you don't want to hear the
          answer to." (Thanx Rick Cook)

          > -steve
          >
          > On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 11:24:23PM -0000, prometheusj2002 wrote:
          > > Have installed redhat 6.1 on my inspiron 8k. Everything went fine and
          > > it's all working alright except when I tried to set up Xwindows.
          > > Nothing worked so I downloaded ther latest version of XFree86
          > > installed that and still can't get it to work. Every time I try to
          > > probe something the screen blacks out and the system hangs. What do I
          > > need to do to fix this problem and to get the GUI working or is this
          > > just a lost cause?
          > >
          > > System:
          > > PIII 850mhz
          > > 20G
          > > 128mb RAM
          > > ATI RAGE MOBILITY 128 AGP 4x Graphics Adapter
          > > ESS Maestro PCI Audio (WDM)
          > >
          > > Panel: Max. Supported Res. 1400 x 1050
          > > Max. Supported Refresh Rate 60Hz
        • prometheusj2002
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 3, 2002
            I bought it about 2 years ago for and old desktop I have and just
            thought it would be handy to have on the laptop but if it doesn't
            work it doesn't work.

            Thanks.

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <ldl@g...> wrote:
            > i'm curious...why are you trying to install 6.1... that's years
            old..

            > -steve
            >
            > On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 11:24:23PM -0000, prometheusj2002 wrote:
            > > Have installed redhat 6.1 on my inspiron 8k. Everything went fine
            and
            > > it's all working alright except when I tried to set up Xwindows.
            > > Nothing worked so I downloaded ther latest version of XFree86
            > > installed that and still can't get it to work. Every time I try
            > > probe something the screen blacks out and the system hangs. What
            do I
            > > need to do to fix this problem and to get the GUI working or is
            this
            > > just a lost cause?
            > >
            > > System:
            > > PIII 850mhz
            > > 20G
            > > 128mb RAM
            > > ATI RAGE MOBILITY 128 AGP 4x Graphics Adapter
            > > ESS Maestro PCI Audio (WDM)
            > >
            > > Panel: Max. Supported Res. 1400 x 1050
            > > Max. Supported Refresh Rate 60Hz
            > >

            > --
            > stephen lau :: [ldl@g...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
            > http://www.whacked.net/oss/ldl
          • Ryurick M. Hristev
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 7, 2002
              On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, prometheusj2002 wrote:

              > I bought it about 2 years ago for and old desktop I have and just
              > thought it would be handy to have on the laptop but if it doesn't
              > work it doesn't work.

              [...]

              > > > just a lost cause?
              > > >
              > > > System:
              > > > PIII 850mhz
              > > > 20G
              > > > 128mb RAM
              > > > ATI RAGE MOBILITY 128 AGP 4x Graphics Adapter
              > > > ESS Maestro PCI Audio (WDM)
              > > >
              > > > Panel: Max. Supported Res. 1400 x 1050
              > > > Max. Supported Refresh Rate 60Hz

              The 1400x1050 is unusual and so not in the XFree "database"
              You need to insert the "Modeline" by hand. For XFree 4.* put the following
              in the XF86Config-4 (for I8k only!):

              Section "Monitor"
              Identifier "LCD"
              VendorName "Dell Inspiron 8000"
              ModelName "SXGA 15in"
              HorizSync 31.5 - 90.0
              VertRefresh 60.0
              Modeline "1400x1050" 108.000 1400 1448 1462 1688 1050 1050 1053 1066
              # Gamma 0.95 0.95 0.80
              EndSection

              then run 'X -probeonly > output 2>&1' and examine the output.

              You could also try the "subpixel" antialiasing, in XftConfig add:

              match edit rgba=rgb;

              Cheers,
              --
              Ryurick M. Hristev mailto:r.hristev@...
              Computer Systems Manager
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 8, 2002
                On Mon, 08 Apr 2002 08:02:47 +1200 (NZST), "Ryurick M. Hristev"
                <r.hristev@...> wrote:

                >The 1400x1050 is unusual and so not in the XFree "database"
                >You need to insert the "Modeline" by hand. For XFree 4.* put the following
                >in the XF86Config-4 (for I8k only!):

                Actually, starting with version 4.1.0, stock XFree86 DOES include several
                1400x1050 timings (60Hz, 70Hz, and 75Hz) in the default timing list. I know,
                because I added them...

                --
                - Tim Roberts, timr@...
                Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 11, 2002
                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Ryurick M. Hristev" <r.hristev@p...>

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 11, 2002
                    Did what you said to do but now when I try to run 'X -probeonly >
                    output 2>&1' I get an error message saying "X: /lib/libc.so.6:
                    version 'GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by X)" what do I have to do
                    to fix this?

                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "prometheusj2002"

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 11, 2002
                      On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, prometheusj2002 wrote:

                      > Did what you said to do but now when I try to run 'X -probeonly >
                      > output 2>&1' I get an error message saying "X: /lib/libc.so.6:
                      > version 'GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by X)" what do I have to do
                      > to fix this?

                      Your version of X (wherever you got it from) is probably too new
                      for the rest of the system. Either:

                      a. try installing a reasonable updated distro
                      (e.g. RedHat 7.2 or whatever)
                      b. use the X provided by the current distro you are using
                      c. get someone to help you directly (maybe there is a Linux club
                      around where you live ?)

                      Cheers,