Inspiron 8k and redhat 6.1

  • prometheusj2002
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 2, 2002
      Have installed redhat 6.1 on my inspiron 8k. Everything went fine and
      it's all working alright except when I tried to set up Xwindows.
      Nothing worked so I downloaded ther latest version of XFree86
      installed that and still can't get it to work. Every time I try to
      probe something the screen blacks out and the system hangs. What do I
      need to do to fix this problem and to get the GUI working or is this
      just a lost cause?

      System:
      PIII 850mhz
      20G
      128mb RAM
      ATI RAGE MOBILITY 128 AGP 4x Graphics Adapter
      ESS Maestro PCI Audio (WDM)

      Panel: Max. Supported Res. 1400 x 1050
      Max. Supported Refresh Rate 60Hz
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2, 2002
        i'm curious...why are you trying to install 6.1... that's years old..

        -steve

        --
        stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
        http://www.whacked.net/oss/ldl
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2, 2002
          What's even more curious is I have a similar problem on an 8ki with Red
          Hat 7.2! Worked fine on 7.1. I still have no solution.

          > i'm curious...why are you trying to install 6.1... that's years old..
          >
          > -steve
          >
          > On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 11:24:23PM -0000, prometheusj2002 wrote:
          > > Have installed redhat 6.1 on my inspiron 8k. Everything went fine and
          > > it's all working alright except when I tried to set up Xwindows.
          > > Nothing worked so I downloaded ther latest version of XFree86
          > > installed that and still can't get it to work. Every time I try to
          > > probe something the screen blacks out and the system hangs. What do I
          > > need to do to fix this problem and to get the GUI working or is this
          > > just a lost cause?
          > >
          > > System:
          > > PIII 850mhz
          > > 20G
          > > 128mb RAM
          > > ATI RAGE MOBILITY 128 AGP 4x Graphics Adapter
          > > ESS Maestro PCI Audio (WDM)
          > >
          > > Panel: Max. Supported Res. 1400 x 1050
          > > Max. Supported Refresh Rate 60Hz
        • andy
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 2002
            On Tuesday 02 April 2002 06:40 pm, you wrote:
            > i'm curious...why are you trying to install 6.1... that's years old..

            As Wiz Zumwalt would say, "Don't ask a question you don't want to hear the
            answer to." (Thanx Rick Cook)

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3, 2002
              I bought it about 2 years ago for and old desktop I have and just
              thought it would be handy to have on the laptop but if it doesn't
              work it doesn't work.

              Thanks.

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <ldl@g...> wrote:
              > i'm curious...why are you trying to install 6.1... that's years
              old..

              > -steve
              >
              > On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 11:24:23PM -0000, prometheusj2002 wrote:
              > > Have installed redhat 6.1 on my inspiron 8k. Everything went fine
              and
              > > it's all working alright except when I tried to set up Xwindows.
              > > Nothing worked so I downloaded ther latest version of XFree86
              > > installed that and still can't get it to work. Every time I try
              > > probe something the screen blacks out and the system hangs. What
              do I
              > > need to do to fix this problem and to get the GUI working or is
              this
              > > just a lost cause?
              > >
              > > System:
              > > PIII 850mhz
              > > 20G
              > > 128mb RAM
              > > ATI RAGE MOBILITY 128 AGP 4x Graphics Adapter
              > > ESS Maestro PCI Audio (WDM)
              > >
              > > Panel: Max. Supported Res. 1400 x 1050
              > > Max. Supported Refresh Rate 60Hz
              > >

              > --
              > stephen lau :: [ldl@g...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
              > http://www.whacked.net/oss/ldl
            • Ryurick M. Hristev
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 7, 2002
                On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, prometheusj2002 wrote:

                > I bought it about 2 years ago for and old desktop I have and just
                > thought it would be handy to have on the laptop but if it doesn't
                > work it doesn't work.

                [...]

                > > > just a lost cause?
                > > >
                > > > System:
                > > > PIII 850mhz
                > > > 20G
                > > > 128mb RAM
                > > > ATI RAGE MOBILITY 128 AGP 4x Graphics Adapter
                > > > ESS Maestro PCI Audio (WDM)
                > > >
                > > > Panel: Max. Supported Res. 1400 x 1050
                > > > Max. Supported Refresh Rate 60Hz

                The 1400x1050 is unusual and so not in the XFree "database"
                You need to insert the "Modeline" by hand. For XFree 4.* put the following
                in the XF86Config-4 (for I8k only!):

                Section "Monitor"
                Identifier "LCD"
                VendorName "Dell Inspiron 8000"
                ModelName "SXGA 15in"
                HorizSync 31.5 - 90.0
                VertRefresh 60.0
                Modeline "1400x1050" 108.000 1400 1448 1462 1688 1050 1050 1053 1066
                # Gamma 0.95 0.95 0.80
                EndSection

                then run 'X -probeonly > output 2>&1' and examine the output.

                You could also try the "subpixel" antialiasing, in XftConfig add:

                match edit rgba=rgb;

                Cheers,
                --
                Ryurick M. Hristev mailto:r.hristev@...
                Computer Systems Manager
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 8, 2002
                  On Mon, 08 Apr 2002 08:02:47 +1200 (NZST), "Ryurick M. Hristev"
                  <r.hristev@...> wrote:

                  >The 1400x1050 is unusual and so not in the XFree "database"
                  >You need to insert the "Modeline" by hand. For XFree 4.* put the following
                  >in the XF86Config-4 (for I8k only!):

                  Actually, starting with version 4.1.0, stock XFree86 DOES include several
                  1400x1050 timings (60Hz, 70Hz, and 75Hz) in the default timing list. I know,
                  because I added them...

                  --
                  - Tim Roberts, timr@...
                  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 11, 2002
                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Ryurick M. Hristev" <r.hristev@p...>

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 11, 2002
                      Did what you said to do but now when I try to run 'X -probeonly >
                      output 2>&1' I get an error message saying "X: /lib/libc.so.6:
                      version 'GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by X)" what do I have to do
                      to fix this?

                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "prometheusj2002"

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 11, 2002
                        On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, prometheusj2002 wrote:

                        > Did what you said to do but now when I try to run 'X -probeonly >
                        > output 2>&1' I get an error message saying "X: /lib/libc.so.6:
                        > version 'GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by X)" what do I have to do
                        > to fix this?

                        Your version of X (wherever you got it from) is probably too new
                        for the rest of the system. Either:

                        a. try installing a reasonable updated distro
                        (e.g. RedHat 7.2 or whatever)
                        b. use the X provided by the current distro you are using
                        c. get someone to help you directly (maybe there is a Linux club
                        around where you live ?)

                        Cheers,