Re: [linux-dell-laptops] keyboard problem

  • ffrank@rz.uni-potsdam.de
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
      "nanlin999" <nanlin999@...> schrieb:

      > Hi, gurus,
      >
      > I installed RedHat 7.2 on my Dell Inspiron 8100. Everything seems
      > wonderful. However, the keyboard of the laptop seems not recognized
      > by linux. For example, when I press y, it gives me z. This gives me
      > too much trouble when I try to input my password. How can I solve
      > this problem?Thank you for your help.

      It seems that you told linux to use a non-english Keyboard layout. Is
      this the same in X and on the console? In X, you have to change the line
      in XF86Config now beeing
      Option "XkbLayout" "xx"

      with xx being, e.g., "de" for Germany, into
      Option "XkbLayout" "us"

      (the british use the same layout, don't they?). On the console it's more
      difficult, because it depends on the distribution, and I don't use
      RedHat.

      bye, Frank
      --
      Frank Fürst, physikalische Biochemie, Universität Potsdam, Germany
      Tel.: +49-331-977-5062 Fax: +49-331-977-5062
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 15, 2002
        Seem to be having a keyboard problem with mandrake 9. Certain keys
        are dead. My i,k,,,del,.,down arrow, keys will not respond under
        linux. However, on my seperate hard drive with windows everything
        works fine. All this is on a latitude cpir. Any suggestions would be
        appreciated. If I can't figure this out in next few days I'll try
      • Chuck Stuettgen
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 15, 2002
          On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 10:36, mtbtreker wrote:
          > Seem to be having a keyboard problem with mandrake 9. Certain keys
          > are dead. My i,k,,,del,.,down arrow, keys will not respond under
          > linux. However, on my seperate hard drive with windows everything
          > works fine. All this is on a latitude cpir. Any suggestions would be
          > appreciated. If I can't figure this out in next few days I'll try

          You will soon have the same problem on your windows hard drive. Dell has
          had to replace the system boards on three different Inspiron laptops at
          the company I work for. A 3500,4100,and 8000. They all had the same keys
          fail, the exact same ones you are having a problem with. Replacing the
          keyboards does not solve the problem. Nor will flashing the latest BIOS
          cure it. Dell replaced the keyboard on the I8000 three times then
          decided it must be the system board. After they replaced the system
          board(s) on all three systems the problem was solved.

          --
          Chuck Stuettgen <cstuettgen@...>