bios versions...

  • Rob Hensley
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2002
      Right now I'm running the version of the bios that came with my i8k, and
      I'm having no problems what so ever. APM works fine, it suspends to ram
      when i close the lid (if i don't go into X first), and I've just plain had
      no problems at all. The only thing is, the version of the bios I'm using
      is A04 (which is pretty old, i think). Is there any reason why I should
      upgrade the bios, maybe not to the newest, but A07 at least? Any
      suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

      Rob Hensley
      E-email: hensleyrob@...
    • chintaylors
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2002
        Hi Rob,

        On two different I8100s at our observatory we saw a machine
        hang under linux and then after trying to reboot refuse to recognize
        the hard disk or the CDROM. This condition persisted from
        10-30 minutes and a dozen or so reboots. After the Dell
        initialization it
        just gave a missage about a "missing disk" and failed. In a
        BIOS FAQ Dell claimed that this was a problem in A03 that was
        fixed in A04. We upgraded all 5 of our I8100s to A07 and
        haven't seen this problem yet in 3 months. Knock on wood.
        In all other regards A07 seems to work well with both Linux
        and Win2k. I'd recommend it. Ciao,
        - Greg