[linux-dell-laptops] Unable to boot from hard disk.

  • rid@getech.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 1999
      This is a bit long winded but I really need help on this please.
      My general situation is that I can no longer boot Win98 from my hard
      disk after installing linux.

      Here is what I have, and what I did==>>
      Dell Latitude CPT 333 with Win98 pre-installed. Completed setup all ok.
      4.6Gb hard drive, one partition for Win98.
      Want to install linux to dual boot with Win98.
      Used FIPS to create second partition - all ok
      Boot Win98 fine and see the 2 partitions, C:2Gb and D:2.6GB
      Boot from Debain cdrom and start linux install.
      Used fdisk to delete the second partition I had created with FIPS, and
      created 6 new partitoins from the space; 2 primary and 4 logical.
      My partition table looks like this now;
      /dev/hda1 boot Primary Win98 2000.29 C:
      /dev/hda2 boot Primary Linux 78.45 / (was placed at begining of
      space)
      /dev/hda3 Primary Linux swap 31.38 swap (was placed at end of
      space)
      /dev/hda4 extended Linux
      /dev/hda5 logical Linux 47 /tmp
      /dev/hda6 logical Linux 86 /var
      /dev/hda7 logical Linux 400 /usr
      /dev/hda8 logical Linux 2000 /home
      Initial installation went ok and I created a boot floppy.
      I did NOT choose to make linux boot from hard disk since I wish to boot
      linux using loadlin.exe.
      Booted from new linux floppy ok, logged on as root etc, etc.........
      Shutdown machine.
      Turned machine on with no CD or floppy in, i.e. booting from hard disk
      (wanted to boot Win98)
      Goes through initial DELL screen ok, then the hdd light indicator is
      initialised as if starting booting from hard disk.
      Then I get the message == INVALID PARTITION TABLE. SETUP CANNOT CONTINUE

      Ouch, help.

      After an initial panick I booted from a dos floppy and everything is
      fine with the C: partition, i.e all data there as before. I also booted
      from the linux floppy I created and was able to mount the /dev/hda1
      partition and everything present.

      So what have I done wrong? are ther to many primary partitions, too
      many set a bootable, or what?
      Do I need to re partition the Linux side of things with one primary
      (/), and a swap and another logical.?
      I did not create a bootable Win98 floppy since I had not done anything
      to the system as yet. So booting from this is not an option.

      Well thats it. Hope you can be of help. Many thanks.
      ROB DANIELS