Re: Problems with Mandrake 8.2 on Inspiron 2500

  • oran_kelly
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 29, 2002
      > Did you verify checksums on iso's before you burned 'em?

      I did. I have all 3 discs burned, all iso files checksums matched and,
      for completeness, I checked the burned discs. Checksums matched there
      too. So if it's the discs, I'd be surprised!

      I haven't had a chance to play with it until today, I'll post any
      results here later on/tomorrow.

      oran
    • oran_kelly
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 29, 2002
        Well, the last few hours has been an experience, I can tell you.

        I did the decent thing and booted the install in vgalo mode. Hey
        presto, got into the graphical install, selected my language, etc. I
        was upgrading my i2500 from MDK8.1 to 8.2. Should've been a breeze,
        right? HA!

        The installation was, as ever, pointy clicky heaven. Not a problem,
        all the way to the end. "Installation successful" they said, "Press
        enter to reboot". Enter, I pressed. My first suggestion of something
        wrong was the little "Kernel Panic: cannot mount root filesystem on
        03:05". (Does that mean device 3, part 5? Coz root=/dev/hda5 is passed
        to the kernel!) Hmm. Reboot - failsafe. Same panic. I was unhappy. I
        decided, what the hell, I've come this far, I will do a fresh reinstall.

        Back to disc 1, select 'Install', go back through the full
        installation, formatting hda5 and hda7 along the way (/ and /usr,
        leaving swap and /home alone). Everything goes according to plan.
        Reboot after successful install. Kernel panic. Same message. Same in
        failsafe. Insert rescue floppy I thoughtfully made during install and
        reboot. System boots now off the rescue. I have compared the options
        passed to the kernel during normal (lilo) boot and off the rescue
        disk...they are the same. However, having gotten the system
        up-and-running off the rescue disk, X11 freezes the entire system (as
        in I have to power-cycle: no C-A-BS or C-A-D will work, keyboard is
        completely locked out). I have the standard X black & white mesh on
        the screen, the standard X mouse cursor in the centre, but everything
        has frozen. Even the mouse cursor won't move around. And it's
        definitly X (as opposed to gdm/kdm)...I rebooted into runlevel 3,
        logged in and checked settings and tried startx and the same crap
        happened.

        So I am unhappy. It kind of looks to me like Mandrake 8.2 is not going
        to play nice on my laptop.
        So I'm now back running 8.1 for the moment until someone can suggest
        what on earth is wrong. The only thing I can think of that would be
        considered slightly different is that all my Linux partitions are
        reiserfs. Including /. Have there been any extensive changes or even
        problems reported on reiserfs somewhere between kernel 2.4.8 and
        2.4.18?? My partition layout, if it matters, is
        hda0 - NTFS
        hda2 - extended
        hda5 - /
        hda6 - swap
        hda7 - /usr
        hda8 - /home

        oran :-(
      • paul
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 29, 2002
          This is the first time I've heard of an hda0. It doesn't exist in my /dev on Red
          Hat.

          --
        • Hans Reiser
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 29, 2002
            oran_kelly wrote:

            > Have there been any extensive changes or even
            > problems reported on reiserfs somewhere between kernel 2.4.8 and
            > 2.4.18??

            2.4.18 is much more stable for ReiserFS, VFS, and VM.

            No disk format changes.....

            Your problem is probably graphics card and xwindows related, not fs
            related. Did you remember about the NVIDIA driver, and needing to
            upgrade it along with the rest of the kernel?

            I regret buying a Dell for my linux laptop myself..... Dell support for
            Linux just sucks, I still can't get hibernate to work for my Inspiron
            8100 with an Nvidia Geforce2Go..... I should have bought IBM.....

            Hans
          • oran_kelly
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 29, 2002
              > This is the first time I've heard of an hda0. It doesn't exist in my
              >/dev on Red Hat.

              Yes. That would be a typo. for '0', please read '1'. Thanks. :)

              oran
            • oran_kelly
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 30, 2002
                > Your problem is probably graphics card and xwindows related, not fs
                > related. Did you remember about the NVIDIA driver, and needing to
                > upgrade it along with the rest of the kernel?

                My 2500 is i810 based video/sound. Crappy.
                However, Mandrake 8.1 (XF 4.1.0) works without a hitch with 3D accel
                going.

                Still, video problems doesn't explain the VFS panic trying to mount
                root on '03:05'. The kernel isn't even finished initialising at this
                stage. What made me doubly curious is that the booting from hard disk
                + graphical lilo caused the panic but inserting the rescue floppy
                made during install did not cause the panic..and the settings passed
                to the kernel by each boot loader were identical.

                Really, I'm looking at 3 problems:

                1) The default install doesn't work. This is the colourdy crap I
                talked about in my first post. This I no longer consider a
                problem...I'm guessing it's just an issue with the resolution the
                install prog works at versus what my LCD panel is happy with. Had
                this kind of problem before with X, tis workable aroundable!

                2) After successful installation, upon reboot, the kernel cannot
                mount the root partition with "Kernel Panic: VFS: cannot mount root
                on 03:05" or something to that effect. This is #1 problem, which I
                currently have no clue how to tackle!

                3) XF 4.2 freezes the entire system after starting up (from the
                rescue floppy). I'll gladly tackle this problem after solving #2!! ;)

                > I regret buying a Dell for my linux laptop myself..... Dell support
                >for Linux just sucks, I still can't get hibernate to work for my
                > Inspiron 8100 with an Nvidia Geforce2Go..... I should have bought
                > IBM.....

                I don't even have APM support! There's a BIOS issue on the model I
                have that causes any access from Linux to the APM bios to segfault.
                Doesn't bring the machine down, just segfaults whatever program tries
                to use apm routines. I'm on A11 of the inspiron rev (that rev number
                is from memory...it's 'something' 11 anyway). All I can do is turn
                APM off so I don't have access to battery info and I can't even
                suspend.

                Still, despite my bitching and moaning, I'm still happy with me dell.
                It's pretty sturdy and a good weight for carrying around. And it's
                better than owning a compaq. :-)

                oran
              • skoolpig
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 25, 2002
                  Did you end up getting 8.2 to run on your setup? I had the same
                  problems. 8.1 installs fine but apm,pcmcia are problematic. 8.2
                  sometimes installs via the gui, sometime it locks up(same with
                  suse7.2). 8.2 was too falky for me to use. If i could get my
                  wireless orinoco to run in 8.1 i would be satisfied. This system
                  really isn't made for linux. RH7.2 has many issues also.
                  Mandrak 8.1 seems to be the best "out of the box" distro I can find.
                  I am interested to see if you have gotten any good results
                  latey.

                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "oran_kelly" <oran_kelly@y...> wrote:

                  > > Your problem is probably graphics card and xwindows related, not
                  fs
                  > > related. Did you remember about the NVIDIA driver, and needing
                  > > upgrade it along with the rest of the kernel?
                  >
                  > My 2500 is i810 based video/sound. Crappy.
                  > However, Mandrake 8.1 (XF 4.1.0) works without a hitch with 3D
                  accel
                  > going.
                  >
                  > Still, video problems doesn't explain the VFS panic trying to mount
                  > root on '03:05'. The kernel isn't even finished initialising at
                  this
                  > stage. What made me doubly curious is that the booting from hard
                  disk
                  > + graphical lilo caused the panic but inserting the rescue floppy
                  > made during install did not cause the panic..and the settings
                  passed
                  > to the kernel by each boot loader were identical.
                  >
                  > Really, I'm looking at 3 problems:
                  >
                  > 1) The default install doesn't work. This is the colourdy crap I
                  > talked about in my first post. This I no longer consider a
                  > problem...I'm guessing it's just an issue with the resolution the
                  > install prog works at versus what my LCD panel is happy with. Had
                  > this kind of problem before with X, tis workable aroundable!
                  >
                  > 2) After successful installation, upon reboot, the kernel cannot
                  > mount the root partition with "Kernel Panic: VFS: cannot mount root
                  > on 03:05" or something to that effect. This is #1 problem, which I
                  > currently have no clue how to tackle!
                  >
                  > 3) XF 4.2 freezes the entire system after starting up (from the
                  > rescue floppy). I'll gladly tackle this problem after solving #2!!
                  ;)