screen locked up, RH7.2 on I8100

  • tiger_lee007
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 23 9:09 AM

      I have a Red Hat 7.2 installed on my Dell I8100. I am
      suffering a very annoying problem for a long time: the
      screen is occasionally deadly locked up, it does not respond
      to any key or mouse. Everytime I have to power it off and
      then restart it. I have updated almost everything: linux kernel,
      nvidia driver, XFree86, gnome, ... but the problem is still
      there. Does anybody understand the problem and know how to fix
      it?

      All suggestions and advices are welcome!

      Thanks,
      Tiger
    • James Hirschorn
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 23 9:40 AM
        I guess the first thing to check is that your kernel is compiled without ACPI
        and APIC (as discussed in the FAQ)?

        James

        On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 05:09:20PM -0000, tiger_lee007 wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have a Red Hat 7.2 installed on my Dell I8100. I am
        > suffering a very annoying problem for a long time: the
        > screen is occasionally deadly locked up, it does not respond
        > to any key or mouse. Everytime I have to power it off and
        > then restart it. I have updated almost everything: linux kernel,
        > nvidia driver, XFree86, gnome, ... but the problem is still
        > there. Does anybody understand the problem and know how to fix
        > it?
        >
        > All suggestions and advices are welcome!
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Tiger
      • yukonmystery
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 23 10:23 AM
          Interestingly enough, I just upgraded to Mandrake 8.2, and in booting
          the stock kernel I get the following dmesg log:

          Dell Inspiron with broken BIOS detected. Refusing to enable the local
          APIC.

          And all the problems attributed to APIC in previous releases don't
          arise with a stock kernel. I'm wondering, is this a kernel thing, or a
          Mandrake thing?

          Cory

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., James Hirschorn <James.Hirschorn@l...>
          wrote:
          > I guess the first thing to check is that your kernel is compiled
          without ACPI
          > and APIC (as discussed in the FAQ)?
          >
          > James
          >
          > On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 05:09:20PM -0000, tiger_lee007 wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I have a Red Hat 7.2 installed on my Dell I8100. I am
          > > suffering a very annoying problem for a long time: the
          > > screen is occasionally deadly locked up, it does not respond
          > > to any key or mouse. Everytime I have to power it off and
          > > then restart it. I have updated almost everything: linux kernel,
          > > nvidia driver, XFree86, gnome, ... but the problem is still
          > > there. Does anybody understand the problem and know how to fix
          > > it?
          > >
          > > All suggestions and advices are welcome!
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Tiger
        • James Hirschorn
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 23 11:51 AM
            I seem to recall reading that this is a new kernel feature as of 2.4.18
            (probably in this newsgroup :) ).

            James

            On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 06:23:56PM -0000, yukonmystery wrote:
            > Interestingly enough, I just upgraded to Mandrake 8.2, and in booting
            > the stock kernel I get the following dmesg log:
            >
            > Dell Inspiron with broken BIOS detected. Refusing to enable the local
            > APIC.
            >
            > And all the problems attributed to APIC in previous releases don't
            > arise with a stock kernel. I'm wondering, is this a kernel thing, or a
            > Mandrake thing?
          • tiger_lee007
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 25 8:21 PM
              Hi James,

              I did as the FAQ suggests: put "disableapic disableacpi" at the
              end of the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst (I do not know
              how to recompile the kernel), but the problem is still there.
              The file /etc/pcmcia/config.opts also seems alright. Do you have
              further suggestions?

              Thanks,
              Tiger

              wrote:
              > I guess the first thing to check is that your kernel is compiled
              without ACPI
              > and APIC (as discussed in the FAQ)?
              >
              > James
              >
              > On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 05:09:20PM -0000, tiger_lee007 wrote:
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > I have a Red Hat 7.2 installed on my Dell I8100. I am
              > > suffering a very annoying problem for a long time: the
              > > screen is occasionally deadly locked up, it does not respond
              > > to any key or mouse. Everytime I have to power it off and
              > > then restart it. I have updated almost everything: linux kernel,
              > > nvidia driver, XFree86, gnome, ... but the problem is still
              > > there. Does anybody understand the problem and know how to fix
              > > it?
              > >
              > > All suggestions and advices are welcome!
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > Tiger
            • tiger_lee007
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 26 8:15 PM
                Hi James:

                I did as the FAQ suggests: put "disableapic disableacpi" at the
                end of the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst (I do not know
                how to recompile the kernel), but the problem is still there.
                The /etc/pcmcia/config.opts file also seems alright. Do you
                have further suggestions?

                Thanks,
                Tiger

                wrote:
                > I guess the first thing to check is that your kernel is compiled
                without ACPI
                > and APIC (as discussed in the FAQ)?
                >
                > James
                >
                > On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 05:09:20PM -0000, tiger_lee007 wrote:
                > > Hi,
                > >
                > > I have a Red Hat 7.2 installed on my Dell I8100. I am
                > > suffering a very annoying problem for a long time: the
                > > screen is occasionally deadly locked up, it does not respond
                > > to any key or mouse. Everytime I have to power it off and
                > > then restart it. I have updated almost everything: linux kernel,
                > > nvidia driver, XFree86, gnome, ... but the problem is still
                > > there. Does anybody understand the problem and know how to fix
                > > it?
                > >
                > > All suggestions and advices are welcome!
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > > Tiger
              • James Hirschorn
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 29 8:23 PM
                  Well, I don't think there is any "disableacpi" option. And I think there is a
                  mistake in the FAQ: The option should be "noapic" instead of "disableapic".

                  The only way to be sure that your problem is not due to APIC or ACPI, is to
                  compile the kernel yourself. I'm not the right person to ask for how to do
                  this (I've never used RH or any of the distros with rpm's).

                  Best Luck,
                  James

                  On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 04:15:20AM -0000, tiger_lee007 wrote:
                  > Hi James:
                  >
                  > I did as the FAQ suggests: put "disableapic disableacpi" at the
                  > end of the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst (I do not know
                  > how to recompile the kernel), but the problem is still there.
                  > The /etc/pcmcia/config.opts file also seems alright. Do you
                  > have further suggestions?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Tiger
                  >
                  > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., James Hirschorn <James.Hirschorn@l...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > I guess the first thing to check is that your kernel is compiled
                  > without ACPI
                  > > and APIC (as discussed in the FAQ)?
                  > >
                  > > James
                  > >
                  > > On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 05:09:20PM -0000, tiger_lee007 wrote:
                  > > > Hi,
                  > > >
                  > > > I have a Red Hat 7.2 installed on my Dell I8100. I am
                  > > > suffering a very annoying problem for a long time: the
                  > > > screen is occasionally deadly locked up, it does not respond
                  > > > to any key or mouse. Everytime I have to power it off and
                  > > > then restart it. I have updated almost everything: linux kernel,
                  > > > nvidia driver, XFree86, gnome, ... but the problem is still
                  > > > there. Does anybody understand the problem and know how to fix
                  > > > it?
                  > > >
                  > > > All suggestions and advices are welcome!
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks,
                  > > > Tiger

                • tiger_lee007
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 30 10:01 AM
                    Hi:

                    Does any body know how to complile the kernel in RH7.2?

                    Thank you very much!

                    Tiger

                    wrote:
                    > Well, I don't think there is any "disableacpi" option. And I think
                    there is a
                    > mistake in the FAQ: The option should be "noapic" instead of
                    "disableapic".

                    > The only way to be sure that your problem is not due to APIC or
                    ACPI, is to
                    > compile the kernel yourself. I'm not the right person to ask for how
                    to do
                    > this (I've never used RH or any of the distros with rpm's).
                    >
                    > Best Luck,
                    > James
                    >
                    > On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 04:15:20AM -0000, tiger_lee007 wrote:
                    > > Hi James:
                    > >
                    > > I did as the FAQ suggests: put "disableapic disableacpi" at the
                    > > end of the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst (I do not know
                    > > how to recompile the kernel), but the problem is still there.
                    > > The /etc/pcmcia/config.opts file also seems alright. Do you
                    > > have further suggestions?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > > Tiger
                    > >
                    > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., James Hirschorn
                    <James.Hirschorn@l...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > > I guess the first thing to check is that your kernel is compiled
                    > > without ACPI
                    > > > and APIC (as discussed in the FAQ)?
                    > > >
                    > > > James

                  • Andrew Braithwaite
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 1, 2002
                      Now I found just the opposite. I am running SuSE 7.3 Professional on a Latitude C800 and I had the same lock up problem. Any time I connected or disconnected the AC Power the machine would lock up. I downloaded 2.4.16-SuSE from the SuSE web site and compiled with ACPI in place of APM.

                      There are a few inconveniences, such as no battery indicator applet, but it is better then locking up whenever I try and move around .... which is the whole idea behind having a laptop.

                      HTH
                      Andy

                      --
                      Andrew J Braithwaite
                      Project Engineer

                    • tiger_lee007
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 13, 2002
                        Hi:

                        Could somebody tell me how to complile the kernel in RH7.2? I
                        have been suffering a long problem that X is frequently crashed
                        on my dell laptop. The FAQ said that this might be the problem
                        in compiling the kernel but I do not know how to compile it.
                        All suggestions are most welcome!

                        Thank you very much!

                        Tiger

                        (This message was posted a few weeks ago but I have not got
                        response, so I have to post it again. I am sorry for bothering
                        people!)

                        > I have a Red Hat 7.2 installed on my Dell I8100. I am
                        > suffering a very annoying problem for a long time: the
                        > screen is occasionally deadly locked up, it does not respond
                        > to any key or mouse. Everytime I have to power it off and
                        > then restart it. I have updated almost everything: linux
                        > kernel,
                        > nvidia driver, XFree86, gnome, ... but the problem is still
                        > there. Does anybody understand the problem and know how to fix
                        > it?
                        >
                        > All suggestions and advices are welcome!
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Tiger

                      • Nicolas Combe
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 14, 2002
                          tiger_lee007 wrote:
                          Hi:

                          Could somebody tell me how to complile the kernel in RH7.2? I
                          have been suffering a long problem that X is frequently crashed
                          on my dell laptop. The FAQ said that this might be the problem
                          in compiling the kernel but I do not know how to compile it.
                          All suggestions are most welcome!

                          Thank you very much!

                          Tiger

                          Hi,

                          I recompiled my kernel last week on a i8100.
                          You should also look at the kernel-How-To

                          Here is what I have done on a i8100 with RH7.2
                          You have to go in /usr/src/linux
                          The source of the kernel should be already installed, if not, you have to install them.

                          And as root you do :
                          $ make xconfig
                          You then have to configure your kernel, that could be long for the first time if ,look at all the different options meaning, but I think it is worth and instructive. You can have the kernel config of Steve Lau on his site to help if you want and you can also look at the kernel config your are using in /usr/src/linux/configs
                          Once you have finish, don t forget to save and before exiting
                          Then your config kernel is in the file .config... you can look at it.

                          $make dep
                          $make clean
                          $ make bzImage
                          $ cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage_my_new_kernel
                           You can give the name you want. I have also copied the System.map file though I don t know what it is for !

                          $ make modules
                          $ make modules_install

                          if you use grub, you must add in /boot/grub/grub.conf  the entry corrsponding to your new kernel, so something like :

                          title Red Hat Linux Custom (2.4.7-10) [13/04/2002]
                                  root (hd0,0)
                                  kernel /bzImage.my_kernel ro root=/dev/hda5
                                  initrd /initrd-2.4.7-10.img

                          then what I did, is to reboot. But since the Nvidia drivers is not compile to new kernel, the system drops to level 3.
                          I hten recompile the Nvidia driver (the kernel part).
                          I had also to recompile the module for the modem (lt_modem) or for the fan (i8kutils) depending on your system,

                          Hope that help.  But you should really read the kernel how-to carefully.

                          Nico

                        • Juergen Mueller
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 14, 2002
                            Hi Nicolas,

                            could you please post your kernel config (/usr/src/linux/.config)?

                            Cheers
                            Juergen

                            On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 08:44:47PM +0200, Nicolas Combe wrote:
                            > Hi,
                            >
                            > I recompiled my kernel last week on a i8100.
                            > You should also look at the kernel-How-To
                            >
                            > Here is what I have done on a i8100 with RH7.2
                            > You have to go in /usr/src/linux
                            > The source of the kernel should be already installed, if not, you have to
                            > install them.
                            >
                            > And as root you do :
                            > $ make xconfig
                            > You then have to configure your kernel, that could be long for the first
                            > time if ,look at all the different options meaning, but I think it is worth
                            > and instructive. You can have the kernel config of Steve Lau on his site to
                            > help if you want and you can also look at the kernel config your are using
                            > in /usr/src/linux/configs
                            > Once you have finish, don t forget to save and before exiting
                            > Then your config kernel is in the file .config... you can look at it.
                            >
                            > $make dep
                            > $make clean
                            > $ make bzImage
                            > $ cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage_my_new_kernel
                            > You can give the name you want. I have also copied the System.map file
                            > though I don t know what it is for !
                            >
                            > $ make modules
                            > $ make modules_install
                            >

                            > if you use grub, you must add in /boot/grub/grub.conf the entry
                            > corrsponding to your new kernel, so something like :
                            >
                            > > title Red Hat Linux Custom (2.4.7-10) [13/04/2002]
                            > > root (hd0,0)
                            > > kernel /bzImage.my_kernel ro root=/dev/hda5
                            > > initrd /initrd-2.4.7-10.img
                            > >

                            > then what I did, is to reboot. But since the Nvidia drivers is not compile
                            > to new kernel, the system drops to level 3.
                            > I hten recompile the Nvidia driver (the kernel part).
                            > I had also to recompile the module for the modem (lt_modem) or for the fan
                            > (i8kutils) depending on your system,
                            >
                            > Hope that help. But you should really read the kernel how-to carefully.
                            >
                            > Nico

                            necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going
                            to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
                            overhead. (from RFC 1925)
                          • Nicolas Combe
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 15, 2002
                              Juergen Mueller wrote:

                              > Hi Nicolas,
                              >
                              > could you please post your kernel config (/usr/src/linux/.config)?
                              >
                              > Cheers
                              > Juergen

                              Hi,
                              here is my kernel config (I have a kernel 2.4.7-10)

                              Nicolas

                              #
                              # Automatically generated make config: don't edit
                              #
                              CONFIG_X86=y
                              CONFIG_ISA=y
                              # CONFIG_SBUS is not set
                              CONFIG_UID16=y

                              #
                              # Code maturity level options
                              #
                              CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y

                              #
                              # Loadable module support
                              #
                              CONFIG_MODULES=y
                              # CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is not set
                              CONFIG_KMOD=y

                              #
                              # Processor type and features
                              #
                              # CONFIG_M386 is not set
                              # CONFIG_M486 is not set
                              # CONFIG_M586 is not set
                              # CONFIG_M586TSC is not set
                              # CONFIG_M586MMX is not set
                              # CONFIG_M686 is not set
                              CONFIG_MPENTIUMIII=y
                              # CONFIG_MPENTIUM4 is not set
                              # CONFIG_MK6 is not set
                              # CONFIG_MK7 is not set
                              # CONFIG_MCRUSOE is not set
                              # CONFIG_MWINCHIPC6 is not set
                              # CONFIG_MWINCHIP2 is not set
                              # CONFIG_MWINCHIP3D is not set
                              # CONFIG_MCYRIXIII is not set
                              CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK=y
                              CONFIG_X86_INVLPG=y
                              CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG=y
                              CONFIG_X86_XADD=y
                              CONFIG_X86_BSWAP=y
                              CONFIG_X86_POPAD_OK=y
                              # CONFIG_RWSEM_GENERIC_SPINLOCK is not set
                              CONFIG_RWSEM_XCHGADD_ALGORITHM=y
                              CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=5
                              CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
                              CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
                              CONFIG_X86_PGE=y
                              CONFIG_X86_USE_PPRO_CHECKSUM=y
                              # CONFIG_TOSHIBA is not set
                              # CONFIG_MICROCODE is not set
                              # CONFIG_X86_MSR is not set
                              # CONFIG_X86_CPUID is not set
                              # CONFIG_E820_PROC is not set
                              CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM=y
                              # CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G is not set
                              # CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
                              CONFIG_1GB=y
                              # CONFIG_2GB is not set
                              # CONFIG_3GB is not set
                              # CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION is not set
                              CONFIG_MTRR=y
                              # CONFIG_SMP is not set
                              # CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC is not set
                              CONFIG_MXT=y

                              #
                              # General setup
                              #
                              CONFIG_NET=y
                              # CONFIG_VISWS is not set
                              CONFIG_PCI=y
                              # CONFIG_PCI_GOBIOS is not set
                              # CONFIG_PCI_GODIRECT is not set
                              CONFIG_PCI_GOANY=y
                              CONFIG_PCI_BIOS=y
                              CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT=y
                              CONFIG_PCI_NAMES=y
                              # CONFIG_EISA is not set
                              # CONFIG_MCA is not set
                              CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y

                              #
                              # PCMCIA/CardBus support
                              #
                              CONFIG_PCMCIA=y
                              CONFIG_CARDBUS=y
                              CONFIG_I82365=y
                              # CONFIG_TCIC is not set

                              #
                              # Hotplug PCI Support
                              #
                              # CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI is not set
                              CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
                              # CONFIG_BSD_PROCESS_ACCT is not set
                              CONFIG_SYSCTL=y
                              CONFIG_KCORE_ELF=y
                              # CONFIG_KCORE_AOUT is not set
                              CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT=y
                              CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
                              CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC=y
                              CONFIG_PM=y
                              # CONFIG_ACPI is not set
                              CONFIG_APM=y
                              # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
                              # CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
                              # CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
                              # CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
                              CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
                              # CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
                              # CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set

                              #
                              # Binary emulation of other systems
                              #
                              # CONFIG_ABI is not set

                              #
                              # Support for foreign binary formats
                              #

                              #
                              # Linux-ABI debugging settings
                              #

                              #
                              # Memory Technology Devices (MTD)
                              #
                              # CONFIG_MTD is not set

                              #
                              # Parallel port support
                              #
                              # CONFIG_PARPORT is not set

                              #
                              # Plug and Play configuration
                              #
                              CONFIG_PNP=y
                              # CONFIG_ISAPNP is not set
                              # CONFIG_PNPBIOS is not set

                              #
                              # Block devices
                              #
                              CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=y
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_XD is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_CPQ_DA is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_CPQ_CISS_DA is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DAC960 is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NBD is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM is not set

                              #
                              # Multi-device support (RAID and LVM)
                              #
                              # CONFIG_MD is not set

                              #
                              # Networking options
                              #
                              CONFIG_PACKET=y
                              # CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP is not set
                              CONFIG_NETLINK=y
                              CONFIG_RTNETLINK=y
                              # CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV is not set
                              CONFIG_NETFILTER=y
                              # CONFIG_NETFILTER_DEBUG is not set
                              CONFIG_FILTER=y
                              CONFIG_UNIX=y
                              CONFIG_INET=y
                              # CONFIG_TUX is not set
                              # CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST is not set
                              # CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER is not set
                              # CONFIG_IP_PNP is not set
                              # CONFIG_NET_IPIP is not set
                              # CONFIG_NET_IPGRE is not set
                              # CONFIG_ARPD is not set
                              # CONFIG_INET_ECN is not set
                              # CONFIG_SYN_COOKIES is not set

                              #
                              # IP: Netfilter Configuration
                              #
                              CONFIG_IP_NF_CONNTRACK=m
                              CONFIG_IP_NF_FTP=m
                              CONFIG_IP_NF_IRC=m
                              # CONFIG_IP_NF_QUEUE is not set
                              CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES=m
                              # CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_LIMIT is not set
                              # CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MAC is not set
                              # CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MARK is not set
                              CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MULTIPORT=m
                              # CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TOS is not set
                              # CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TCPMSS is not set
                              # CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_STATE is not set
                              # CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_UNCLEAN is not set
                              # CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_OWNER is not set
                              CONFIG_IP_NF_FILTER=m
                              # CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REJECT is not set
                              # CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MIRROR is not set
                              CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT=m
                              CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_NEEDED=y
                              CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MASQUERADE=m
                              CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REDIRECT=m
                              CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_IRC=m
                              CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_FTP=m
                              # CONFIG_IP_NF_MANGLE is not set
                              # CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_LOG is not set
                              # CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_TCPMSS is not set
                              CONFIG_IP_NF_COMPAT_IPCHAINS=m
                              CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_NEEDED=y
                              # CONFIG_IP_NF_COMPAT_IPFWADM is not set

                              #
                              # IP: Virtual Server Configuration
                              #
                              # CONFIG_IP_VS is not set
                              # CONFIG_IPV6 is not set
                              # CONFIG_KHTTPD is not set
                              # CONFIG_ATM is not set

                              #
                              #
                              #
                              # CONFIG_IPX is not set
                              # CONFIG_ATALK is not set
                              # CONFIG_DECNET is not set
                              # CONFIG_BRIDGE is not set
                              # CONFIG_X25 is not set
                              # CONFIG_LAPB is not set
                              # CONFIG_LLC is not set
                              # CONFIG_NET_DIVERT is not set
                              # CONFIG_ECONET is not set
                              # CONFIG_WAN_ROUTER is not set
                              # CONFIG_NET_FASTROUTE is not set
                              # CONFIG_NET_HW_FLOWCONTROL is not set

                              #
                              # QoS and/or fair queueing
                              #
                              # CONFIG_NET_SCHED is not set

                              #
                              # Telephony Support
                              #
                              # CONFIG_PHONE is not set

                              #
                              # ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support
                              #
                              CONFIG_IDE=y

                              #
                              # IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices
                              #
                              CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y

                              #
                              # Please see Documentation/ide.txt for help/info on IDE drives
                              #
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD is not set
                              CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
                              CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_VENDOR is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_COMMERIAL is not set
                              CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECS=m
                              CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
                              CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE=m
                              CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=m
                              CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=m

                              #
                              # IDE chipset support/bugfixes
                              #
                              CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640=y
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640_ENHANCED is not set
                              CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RZ1000=y
                              CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
                              CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
                              CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
                              CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ADMA=y
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD is not set
                              CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
                              # CONFIG_IDEDMA_ONLYDISK is not set
                              CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
                              # CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_WIP is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AEC62XX is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ALI15X3 is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AMD74XX is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD64X is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CY82C693 is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CS5530 is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT34X is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT366 is not set
                              CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y
                              CONFIG_PIIX_TUNING=y
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NS87415 is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OPTI621 is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SVWKS is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SIS5513 is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SLC90E66 is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_TRM290 is not set
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX is not set
                              # CONFIG_IDE_CHIPSETS is not set
                              CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
                              # CONFIG_IDEDMA_IVB is not set
                              # CONFIG_DMA_NONPCI is not set
                              CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID is not set

                              #
                              # SCSI support
                              #
                              CONFIG_SCSI=m

                              #
                              # SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
                              #
                              CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m
                              CONFIG_SD_EXTRA_DEVS=40
                              CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST=m
                              CONFIG_CHR_DEV_OSST=m
                              CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=m
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR_VENDOR is not set
                              CONFIG_SR_EXTRA_DEVS=2
                              CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=m

                              #
                              # Some SCSI devices (e.g. CD jukebox) support multiple LUNs
                              #
                              CONFIG_SCSI_DEBUG_QUEUES=y
                              CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS is not set
                              CONFIG_SCSI_LOGGING=y

                              #
                              # SCSI low-level drivers
                              #
                              # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_3W_XXXX_RAID is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_7000FASST is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_ACARD is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_AHA152X is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_AHA1542 is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_AHA1740 is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_AACRAID is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX_OLD is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_ADVANSYS is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_IN2000 is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_AM53C974 is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_MEGARAID is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_BUSLOGIC is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_CPQFCTS is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_DMX3191D is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_DTC3280 is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_EATA is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_EATA_DMA is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_EATA_PIO is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_FUTURE_DOMAIN is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_GDTH is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_GENERIC_NCR5380 is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_IPS is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_INITIO is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_INIA100 is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C406A is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C7xx is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX is not set
                              CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX=m
                              CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_DEFAULT_TAGS=4
                              CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_MAX_TAGS=32
                              CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_SYNC=20
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_PROFILE is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_IOMAPPED is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_PQS_PDS is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_SYMBIOS_COMPAT is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_PAS16 is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_PCI2000 is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_PCI2220I is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_PSI240I is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_FAS is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_ISP is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_FC is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_1280 is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_QLA2100 is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_SEAGATE is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_SIM710 is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C416 is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_DC390T is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_T128 is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_U14_34F is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_ULTRASTOR is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_DEBUG is not set
                              # CONFIG_SCSI_ISCSI is not set

                              #
                              # PCMCIA SCSI adapter support
                              #
                              CONFIG_SCSI_PCMCIA=y
                              # CONFIG_PCMCIA_AHA152X is not set
                              # CONFIG_PCMCIA_FDOMAIN is not set
                              # CONFIG_PCMCIA_NINJA_SCSI is not set
                              # CONFIG_PCMCIA_QLOGIC is not set

                              #
                              # Fusion MPT device support
                              #
                              # CONFIG_FUSION is not set
                              # CONFIG_FUSION_BOOT is not set
                              # CONFIG_FUSION_ISENSE is not set
                              # CONFIG_FUSION_CTL is not set
                              # CONFIG_FUSION_LAN is not set

                              #
                              # IEEE 1394 (FireWire) support (EXPERIMENTAL)
                              #
                              # CONFIG_IEEE1394 is not set

                              #
                              # I2O device support
                              #
                              # CONFIG_I2O is not set

                              #
                              # Network device support
                              #
                              CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y

                              #
                              # ARCnet devices
                              #
                              # CONFIG_ARCNET is not set
                              CONFIG_DUMMY=m
                              CONFIG_BONDING=m
                              # CONFIG_EQUALIZER is not set
                              # CONFIG_TUN is not set
                              # CONFIG_ETHERTAP is not set

                              #
                              # Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)
                              #
                              CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
                              # CONFIG_HAPPYMEAL is not set
                              # CONFIG_SUNGEM is not set
                              CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_3COM=y
                              # CONFIG_EL1 is not set
                              # CONFIG_EL2 is not set
                              # CONFIG_ELPLUS is not set
                              # CONFIG_EL16 is not set
                              CONFIG_EL3=m
                              # CONFIG_3C515 is not set
                              CONFIG_VORTEX=m
                              # CONFIG_LANCE is not set
                              # CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_SMC is not set
                              # CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_RACAL is not set
                              # CONFIG_AT1700 is not set
                              # CONFIG_DEPCA is not set
                              # CONFIG_HP100 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NET_ISA is not set
                              CONFIG_NET_PCI=y
                              # CONFIG_PCNET32 is not set
                              # CONFIG_ADAPTEC_STARFIRE is not set
                              # CONFIG_AC3200 is not set
                              # CONFIG_APRICOT is not set
                              # CONFIG_CS89x0 is not set
                              # CONFIG_TULIP is not set
                              # CONFIG_DE4X5 is not set
                              # CONFIG_DGRS is not set
                              # CONFIG_DM9102 is not set
                              CONFIG_EEPRO100=y
                              # CONFIG_E100 is not set
                              # CONFIG_FEALNX is not set
                              # CONFIG_NATSEMI is not set
                              # CONFIG_NE2K_PCI is not set
                              # CONFIG_8139TOO is not set
                              # CONFIG_SIS900 is not set
                              # CONFIG_EPIC100 is not set
                              # CONFIG_SUNDANCE is not set
                              # CONFIG_TLAN is not set
                              # CONFIG_VIA_RHINE is not set
                              # CONFIG_WINBOND_840 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NET_POCKET is not set

                              #
                              # Ethernet (1000 Mbit)
                              #
                              # CONFIG_E1000 is not set
                              # CONFIG_ACENIC is not set
                              # CONFIG_DL2K is not set
                              # CONFIG_NS83820 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NET_BROADCOM is not set
                              # CONFIG_HAMACHI is not set
                              # CONFIG_YELLOWFIN is not set
                              # CONFIG_SK98LIN is not set
                              # CONFIG_FDDI is not set
                              # CONFIG_HIPPI is not set
                              CONFIG_PPP=y
                              # CONFIG_PPP_MULTILINK is not set
                              # CONFIG_PPP_FILTER is not set
                              CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC=y
                              CONFIG_PPP_SYNC_TTY=y
                              CONFIG_PPP_DEFLATE=y
                              CONFIG_PPP_BSDCOMP=y
                              # CONFIG_PPPOE is not set
                              # CONFIG_SLIP is not set

                              #
                              # Wireless LAN (non-hamradio)
                              #
                              # CONFIG_CIPE is not set
                              # CONFIG_NET_RADIO is not set

                              #
                              # Token Ring devices
                              #
                              # CONFIG_TR is not set
                              # CONFIG_NET_FC is not set
                              # CONFIG_RCPCI is not set
                              # CONFIG_SHAPER is not set

                              #
                              # Wan interfaces
                              #
                              # CONFIG_WAN is not set

                              #
                              # PCMCIA network device support
                              #
                              CONFIG_NET_PCMCIA=y
                              # CONFIG_PCMCIA_3C589 is not set
                              # CONFIG_PCMCIA_3C574 is not set
                              # CONFIG_PCMCIA_FMVJ18X is not set
                              CONFIG_PCMCIA_PCNET=y
                              # CONFIG_PCMCIA_NMCLAN is not set
                              # CONFIG_PCMCIA_SMC91C92 is not set
                              # CONFIG_PCMCIA_XIRC2PS is not set
                              # CONFIG_PCMCIA_AXNET is not set
                              # CONFIG_PCMCIA_XIRCOM is not set
                              # CONFIG_PCMCIA_XIRTULIP is not set
                              # CONFIG_NET_PCMCIA_RADIO is not set

                              #
                              # Amateur Radio support
                              #
                              # CONFIG_HAMRADIO is not set

                              #
                              # IrDA (infrared) support
                              #
                              # CONFIG_IRDA is not set

                              #
                              # ISDN subsystem
                              #
                              # CONFIG_ISDN is not set

                              #
                              # Old CD-ROM drivers (not SCSI, not IDE)
                              #
                              # CONFIG_CD_NO_IDESCSI is not set

                              #
                              # Input core support
                              #
                              CONFIG_INPUT=m
                              CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV=m
                              CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=m
                              CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1400
                              CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=1050
                              # CONFIG_INPUT_JOYDEV is not set
                              CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=m

                              #
                              # Character devices
                              #
                              CONFIG_VT=y
                              # CONFIG_ECC is not set
                              CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
                              CONFIG_SERIAL=y
                              # CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE is not set
                              # CONFIG_SERIAL_EXTENDED is not set
                              # CONFIG_SERIAL_NONSTANDARD is not set
                              CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
                              CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT=256

                              #
                              # I2C support
                              #
                              # CONFIG_I2C is not set

                              #
                              # Mice
                              #
                              # CONFIG_BUSMOUSE is not set
                              CONFIG_MOUSE=y
                              CONFIG_PSMOUSE=y
                              CONFIG_82C710_MOUSE=y
                              # CONFIG_PC110_PAD is not set

                              #
                              # Joysticks
                              #
                              # CONFIG_INPUT_GAMEPORT is not set
                              # CONFIG_INPUT_SERIO is not set

                              #
                              # Joysticks
                              #
                              # CONFIG_INPUT_IFORCE_USB is not set
                              # CONFIG_QIC02_TAPE is not set

                              #
                              # Watchdog Cards
                              #
                              # CONFIG_WATCHDOG is not set
                              CONFIG_INTEL_RNG=y
                              # CONFIG_NVRAM is not set
                              # CONFIG_RTC is not set
                              # CONFIG_DTLK is not set
                              # CONFIG_R3964 is not set
                              # CONFIG_APPLICOM is not set
                              # CONFIG_SONYPI is not set

                              #
                              # Ftape, the floppy tape device driver
                              #
                              # CONFIG_FTAPE is not set
                              CONFIG_AGP=m
                              CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
                              CONFIG_AGP_I810=y
                              # CONFIG_AGP_VIA is not set
                              # CONFIG_AGP_AMD is not set
                              # CONFIG_AGP_SIS is not set
                              # CONFIG_AGP_ALI is not set
                              # CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS is not set
                              CONFIG_DRM=y
                              # CONFIG_DRM_NEW is not set
                              CONFIG_DRM_OLD=y
                              # CONFIG_DRM40_TDFX is not set
                              # CONFIG_DRM40_GAMMA is not set
                              CONFIG_DRM40_R128=m
                              CONFIG_DRM40_RADEON=m
                              # CONFIG_DRM40_I810 is not set
                              # CONFIG_DRM40_MGA is not set

                              #
                              # PCMCIA character devices
                              #
                              # CONFIG_PCMCIA_SERIAL_CS is not set

                              #
                              # Multimedia devices
                              #
                              # CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV is not set

                              #
                              # Crypto Hardware support
                              #
                              # CONFIG_CRYPTO is not set

                              #
                              # File systems
                              #
                              # CONFIG_QUOTA is not set
                              CONFIG_AUTOFS_FS=y
                              CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS=y
                              # CONFIG_REISERFS_FS is not set
                              # CONFIG_ADFS_FS is not set
                              # CONFIG_AFFS_FS is not set
                              # CONFIG_HFS_FS is not set
                              # CONFIG_BFS_FS is not set
                              # CONFIG_CMS_FS is not set
                              CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
                              CONFIG_JBD=y
                              CONFIG_JBD_DEBUG=y
                              # CONFIG_BUFFER_DEBUG is not set
                              CONFIG_FAT_FS=y
                              CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=y
                              # CONFIG_UMSDOS_FS is not set
                              CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y
                              # CONFIG_EFS_FS is not set
                              # CONFIG_CRAMFS is not set
                              CONFIG_TMPFS=y
                              # CONFIG_RAMFS is not set
                              CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y
                              CONFIG_JOLIET=y
                              # CONFIG_MINIX_FS is not set
                              # CONFIG_FREEVXFS_FS is not set
                              CONFIG_NTFS_FS=y
                              # CONFIG_NTFS_RW is not set
                              # CONFIG_HPFS_FS is not set
                              CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
                              # CONFIG_DEVFS_FS is not set
                              CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS=y
                              # CONFIG_QNX4FS_FS is not set
                              # CONFIG_ROMFS_FS is not set
                              CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
                              # CONFIG_SYSV_FS is not set
                              # CONFIG_UDF_FS is not set
                              # CONFIG_UFS_FS is not set

                              #
                              # Network File Systems
                              #
                              # CONFIG_CODA_FS is not set
                              CONFIG_NFS_FS=m
                              CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
                              CONFIG_NFSD=y
                              CONFIG_NFSD_V3=y
                              CONFIG_SUNRPC=y
                              CONFIG_LOCKD=y
                              CONFIG_LOCKD_V4=y
                              CONFIG_SMB_FS=y
                              # CONFIG_SMB_NLS_DEFAULT is not set
                              # CONFIG_NCP_FS is not set

                              #
                              # Partition Types
                              #
                              # CONFIG_PARTITION_ADVANCED is not set
                              CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION=y
                              CONFIG_SMB_NLS=y
                              CONFIG_NLS=y

                              #
                              # Native Language Support
                              #
                              CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT="iso8859-1"
                              CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_437=y
                              # CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_737 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_775 is not set
                              CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_850=y
                              # CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_852 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_855 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_857 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_860 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_861 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_862 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_863 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_864 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_865 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_866 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_869 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_936 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_950 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_932 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_949 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_874 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_8 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_1251 is not set
                              CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_1=y
                              # CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_2 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_3 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_4 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_5 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_6 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_7 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_9 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_13 is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_14 is not set
                              CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_15=y
                              # CONFIG_NLS_KOI8_R is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_KOI8_U is not set
                              # CONFIG_NLS_UTF8 is not set

                              #
                              # Console drivers
                              #
                              CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
                              CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
                              # CONFIG_VIDEO_IGNORE_BAD_MODE is not set
                              # CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set

                              #
                              # Frame-buffer support
                              #
                              # CONFIG_FB is not set

                              #
                              # Sound
                              #
                              CONFIG_SOUND=m
                              # CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI is not set
                              # CONFIG_SOUND_EMU10K1 is not set
                              # CONFIG_SOUND_FUSION is not set
                              # CONFIG_SOUND_CS4281 is not set
                              # CONFIG_SOUND_ES1370 is not set
                              # CONFIG_SOUND_ES1371 is not set
                              # CONFIG_SOUND_ESSSOLO1 is not set
                              # CONFIG_SOUND_MAESTRO is not set
                              CONFIG_SOUND_MAESTRO3=m
                              # CONFIG_SOUND_ICH is not set
                              # CONFIG_SOUND_SONICVIBES is not set
                              # CONFIG_SOUND_BT878 is not set
                              # CONFIG_SOUND_TRIDENT is not set
                              # CONFIG_SOUND_MSNDCLAS is not set
                              # CONFIG_SOUND_MSNDPIN is not set
                              # CONFIG_SOUND_VIA82CXXX is not set
                              # CONFIG_SOUND_OSS is not set

                              #
                              # USB support
                              #
                              CONFIG_USB=m
                              # CONFIG_USB_DEBUG is not set

                              #
                              # Miscellaneous USB options
                              #
                              CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
                              # CONFIG_USB_BANDWIDTH is not set
                              # CONFIG_USB_LONG_TIMEOUT is not set
                              # CONFIG_USB_LARGE_CONFIG is not set

                              #
                              # USB Controllers
                              #
                              CONFIG_USB_UHCI=m
                              CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT=m
                              # CONFIG_USB_OHCI is not set

                              #
                              # USB Device Class drivers
                              #
                              CONFIG_USB_AUDIO=m
                              # CONFIG_USB_BLUETOOTH is not set
                              CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=m
                              CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG=y
                              CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_FREECOM=y
                              CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DPCM=y
                              # CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_SDDR09 is not set
                              # CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_HP8200e is not set
                              CONFIG_USB_ACM=m
                              CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=m

                              #
                              # USB Human Interface Devices (HID)
                              #
                              CONFIG_USB_HID=m
                              # CONFIG_USB_HIDDEV is not set
                              CONFIG_USB_KBD=m
                              CONFIG_USB_MOUSE=m
                              # CONFIG_USB_WACOM is not set

                              #
                              # USB Imaging devices
                              #
                              # CONFIG_USB_DC2XX is not set
                              # CONFIG_USB_MDC800 is not set
                              CONFIG_USB_SCANNER=m
                              # CONFIG_USB_MICROTEK is not set
                              # CONFIG_USB_HP5300 is not set

                              #
                              # USB Multimedia devices
                              #

                              #
                              # Video4Linux support is needed for USB Multimedia device support
                              #
                              # CONFIG_USB_DABUSB is not set

                              #
                              # USB Network adaptors
                              #
                              # CONFIG_USB_PLUSB is not set
                              # CONFIG_USB_PEGASUS is not set
                              # CONFIG_USB_KAWETH is not set
                              # CONFIG_USB_CATC is not set
                              # CONFIG_USB_CDCETHER is not set
                              # CONFIG_USB_USBNET is not set

                              #
                              # USB port drivers
                              #

                              #
                              # USB Serial Converter support
                              #
                              # CONFIG_USB_SERIAL is not set

                              #
                              # Miscellaneous USB drivers
                              #
                              # CONFIG_USB_RIO500 is not set

                              #
                              # Bluetooth support
                              #
                              # CONFIG_BLUEZ is not set

                              #
                              # Kernel hacking
                              #
                              # CONFIG_SMALL is not set
                              # CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL is not set
                            • tiger_lee007
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 19, 2002
                                Hi, This is an old problem with my laptop. I have tried every
                                method to improve it, including upgrading the nvidia drives,
                                upgrading Red Hat to RH7.3, but the problem is always there.
                                I wonder if this is a common problem and if there is a better
                                understanding and solution to it now.

                                It sounds weird, if I reboot the machine right after it's
                                booted, then it seems the problem is gone. Does anybody
                                understand this? Is there any difference between booting
                                the laptop once and booting it twice?

                                Tiger

                                --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "tiger_lee007" <tiger_lee007@y...>
                                wrote:
                                > Hi,
                                >
                                > I have a Red Hat 7.2 installed on my Dell I8100. I am
                                > suffering a very annoying problem for a long time: the
                                > screen is occasionally deadly locked up, it does not respond
                                > to any key or mouse. Everytime I have to power it off and
                                > then restart it. I have updated almost everything: linux kernel,
                                > nvidia driver, XFree86, gnome, ... but the problem is still
                                > there. Does anybody understand the problem and know how to fix
                                > it?
                                >
                                > All suggestions and advices are welcome!
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                > Tiger

                                Added: sometimes the laptop is automatically power-off.
                              • tiger_lee007
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 22, 2002

                                  wrote:
                                  > Hi,
                                  >
                                  > I have a Red Hat 7.2 installed on my Dell I8100. I am
                                  > suffering a very annoying problem for a long time: the
                                  > screen is occasionally deadly locked up, it does not respond
                                  > to any key or mouse. Everytime I have to power it off and
                                  > then restart it. I have updated almost everything: linux kernel,
                                  > nvidia driver, XFree86, gnome, ... but the problem is still
                                  > there. Does anybody understand the problem and know how to fix
                                  > it?
                                  >
                                  > All suggestions and advices are welcome!
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  > Tiger

                                  Added: sometimes the laptop is automatically power-off.
                                • Roger
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 23, 2002
                                    --- tiger_lee007 <tiger_lee007@...> wrote:
                                    > Hi, This is an old problem with my laptop. I have tried every
                                    > method to improve it, including upgrading the nvidia drives,
                                    > upgrading Red Hat to RH7.3, but the problem is always there.
                                    > I wonder if this is a common problem and if there is a better
                                    > understanding and solution to it now.
                                    >
                                    > It sounds weird, if I reboot the machine right after it's
                                    > booted, then it seems the problem is gone. Does anybody
                                    > understand this? Is there any difference between booting
                                    > the laptop once and booting it twice?

                                    cold boot: start the computer with power off.
                                    warm boot: restart the computer (power does not go off)

                                    cold boot will restart the machine from a known state. warm boot may
                                    not zero everything out.

                                    but, with the technology advances, I'm not sure if this is still true.

                                    Roger

                                    http://sbc.yahoo.com