[linux-dell-laptops] Re: Turning off Touchpad "Tapping"?

  • David Epstein
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 1999
      Dear Andy

      Did you ever get a reply to this?

      You have to install a program called tpconfig. This is available on
      the www, and you could find it using a web search machine. You install
      it in /etc/rc.d somewhere. You need to look in /etc/inittab, where you
      will find the default run level on your machine. For example if this
      is runlevel 3, you install it in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d
      If you look in this directory, you will see the way things are set
      up--all the actual programs are somewhere else, in /etc/init.d, I
      think, and there are symbolic links from the run level directories.
      You should read the documentation that comes with tpconfig.

      I've just done this and it works fine. The stupid tapping mode has
      gone, much to my relief.

      Best wishes,
      David Epstein

      >I have a Dell Latitude CPi 266 running RH6.0 and X.
      >Under Win98 (now gone) I turned off the "tap touchpad
      >is left mouse button" thing ages ago (using the Dell
      >touchpad software I suppose, but I can't actually
      >remember for sure), because I hated it.
      >
      >Now with Linux, it is back. Is there any way to turn this
      >off? Nothing (apparently) in the BIOS, so I guess not?
      >
      >Thanks,
      >Andy

      >@Backup - The #1 Online Backup Service. Protect your files before
      >you lose them. Easy, Reliable, Secure online backups. INSTALL
      >today. http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/938
      >

      >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops

      dbae@...
      Phone: +44-1203-523571 (work) +44-1926-853955 (home) +44-1203-524182 (fax)
      David Epstein