nvidia / apm query - not in faq...

  • idan_gazit
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2002
      Hey everybody,

      First off, thanks for all of the wonderful data you guys have put
      together here. It's made my install much simpler. Some specs:

      i4k
      PIII/1200
      g2go 32m / SXGA+ (1400x1050)
      2.4.17 (apm, no apic, no acpi)
      Linux-From-Scratch 3.1 (e.g. none of that RH gunk ;) )
      nvidia drivers/glx 2314&2313, respectively.

      I've read all about the nvidia/apm debacle. I *KNOW* that it's
      impossible to perform apm activities such as suspend and such.

      However... is there a way to get basic APM functionality without
      destabilizing X? All I'd like is for my battery monitor to work; I
      have no interest in suspend-to-(whatever). Side bonus would be
      kapm_idled -- it really does assist with battery life.

      When booting with APM on, I'm fine in console and I can boot X just
      fine but I get random unrecoverale freezes (e.g. Ctl-Alt-Del, C-A-
      Bksp don't work) after an unspecified amount of time. I can reproduce
      these errors consistently by moving around a transparent gnome-
      terminal or by spending longer than 3 minutes in anjuta (gnome C/C++
      IDE). With APM off (boot with apm=off) errors never happen.

      I've disabled agp (option "NvAGP" "0") and this continues to happen.

      Screen blanking used to be a lockup, would come back with vertical
      black-white line garbage, but I could kill the X server sometimes.
      This has gone away since I disabled AGP and made some careful
      settings for dpms.

      Any thoughts? It seems like I either run a stable X with no apm or an
      unstable one with apm.

      Thanks,

      Idan
    • Dr. Keith G. Bowden
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2002

        I have identical problems and I started from Mandrake8.1 and the nvidia
        rpm's (2313) (not on a Dell).

        You don't say if you trie switching APM off in the BIOS?

        Where do I set apm=off?

        Keith Bowden

        (Reply directly to me.)

        Click here for Free Video!!