Re: [linux-dell-laptops] debian support

  • Dr. Keith G. Bowden
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
      So why is Debian better than (for instance) Mandrake?

      Keith Bowden

      Click here for Free Video!!
      http://www.gohip.com/free_video/

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
        On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 20:46, Jeremy Mann wrote:

        > No, the 2 extra lines in os-registry.c are needed for all owners of 4100's and
        > GeForce2 Go chips. Without it, we get the dreaded 2 inches of black and a grey
        > bar across the bottom.

        Fine, but I'm willing to bet that the problem is that you are using
        Debian, but not using the Debian packaging for the NVidia kernel module.
        See the file "/usr/share/doc/kernel-source-2.4.17/README.headers.gz",
        especially about how Debian is different from other distros with regards
        to kernel headers. ... Sounds like the FAQ needs a Debian section ... As
        I mentioned, you can still use the patch with the Debian package.

        > a laptop! ARGH!!...Anyway, my problem was when using AC power, unplug the power
        > cable and system locks. When running on battery and plug the AC cord in, system
        > locks. This doesn't happen when using the kernels mentioned above. I tried for
        > 3 weeks to compile 2.4.17 using different peoples advice, with APM, w/o, with
        > ACPI, w/o, this and that, and nothing worked, the same thing happened. So I am
        > sticking with the precompiled kernels for my laptop. I'll leave the custom
        > kernels to my Athlon.

        You could try to use someone elses kernel config. Preferably someone
        with a 4100.

        James
      • James Hirschorn
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
          On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 18:20, Dr. Keith G. Bowden wrote:
          > So why is Debian better than (for instance) Mandrake?
          >
          > Keith Bowden

          There are a large number of distributions (including Mandrake?) which
          are based on rpm's, and since they use basically the same packaging
          method, they are basically the same at least at a fundamental level.
          AFAIK Debian is leaps and bounds more advanced than other distros in
          terms of being "well thought out", and organized, etc...

          Here is a pros and cons list:

          http://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian

          And here is someone's comparison to Red Hat:

          http://debian-br.sourceforge.net/txt/debian_vs_redhat.html

          Cheers,
          James
        • Nils-Anders Duesund N√łttseter
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 4, 2002
            > The kernel is kernel-image-2.4.17-686 from apt-get and the source is
            2.4.17
            > also downloaded with apt-get. I am using the Debian kernel because nobody
            will
            > tell me how to make a kernel so my system doesn't lock up. The stock
            woody, sid
            > and Mandrake kernels all work fine, so enough of trying to compile a
            kernel for
            > a laptop! ARGH!!...Anyway, my problem was when using AC power, unplug the
            power
            > cable and system locks. When running on battery and plug the AC cord in,
            system
            > locks. This doesn't happen when using the kernels mentioned above. I tried
            for
            > 3 weeks to compile 2.4.17 using different peoples advice, with APM, w/o,
            with
            > ACPI, w/o, this and that, and nothing worked, the same thing happened. So
            I am
            > sticking with the precompiled kernels for my laptop. I'll leave the custom
            > kernels to my Athlon.

            I don't know if you've solved this problem yet, but I had the exact same
            problem on my I8000. Recompile your kernel 2.4.17 without any APIC support,
            (apm and acpi are both ok). This made my life a lot better.

            Nils-Anders Duesund N√łttseter
            nils-anders.nottseter@...