Re: useful fan control utils/gkrellm plugins

  • klkinney
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2002
      Setting up the fan control? details on the rpm - Question below
      Have an i81K with A08 and both fans run all the time? I looked in the
      BIOS and there was no indication of the CPU temp or blocks to check
      temperature?

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <ldl@g...> wrote:
      > On AC, I have the left fan come on at 60, the right come on at 65,
      the left
      > goes to high at 70, and the both are high at 75.
      >
      > for battery, I have the same thing except 5 degrees hotter for both.
      >
      > -steve
      >
      > On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 02:17:56PM -0000, fortepianissimo wrote:
      > > It's nicely packaged into one single rpm:
      > >
      > > http://enigma.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=601
      > >
      > > make sure when compiling kernel you have turned on CONFIG_I8K.

      ** Is the rpm edited to show that the CONFIG_I8K is turned on? Is it
      set to 1 or on for example?

      > > (BTW my machine is I4100+BIOS A04 and it runs perfectly with all
      bells
      > > and whistles)
      > >
      > > Before running gkrellm remember "modprobe i8k", this will give you
      > > /proc/i8k and you can cat it to see the info (including fan
      status,

      ** If there is no i8k there from modprobe or checking /proc, is the
      rpm -Uvh used to install it or -ivh?

      > > rotation speed, service tag, etc) in one line.
      > >
      > > Better yet you can use the included gkrellm plugin to either
      > > automatically/manually control both of your fans. For automatic
      mode
      > > you can set up the control policy for both fans (above what temp
      > > should the fans kick in, etc).

      **Is gKrekkm used to set up an application or run it in the background
      from a prompt to start it? #./gkrellm &

      > > One question: for those who are already using it, what are the
      > > reasonable settings for the automatic fan control?
      > >
      > > Ben
      > >

      > --
      > stephen lau :: [ldl@g...] :: www.grommit.com :: gpg key id:
      0x09E5CD21