Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: external keyboard/mouse kills built-in touchpad, am I the only one

  • Dr. Keith G. Bowden
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
      Anyone know how to change the (usb) mouse speed in Red Hat/Mandrake?

      Keith Bowden

      Click here for Free Video!!
      http://www.gohip.com/free_video/

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
        Are you hot-plugging the PS2 stuff? PS2 stuff does NOT support hot
        plugging, at least not as far as I know. In fact, I have known people
        who fried their PS2 connectors doing that and were forced to use USB
        mouse/keyboard because of it.

        If you boot Windows 98 and it doesn't detect a mouse, it tells you
        that if you have a USB mouse, go ahead and plug it in, but if you
        have a PS2 mouse, power down the computer before you attach it. I
        have seen this message many times while building systems.

        --
        John Cronin
      • Peter Møller Neergaard
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
          On March 1, 2002, John Cronin wrote:

          j> Are you hot-plugging the PS2 stuff? PS2 stuff does NOT support hot
          j> plugging, at least not as far as I know. In fact, I have known
          j> people who fried their PS2 connectors doing that and were forced to
          j> use USB mouse/keyboard because of it.

          You are correct, I am hotplugging the PS/2 stuff. From what I've been
          told, laptops are equipped with an electronic buffer that should make
          it safe to hotplug even PS/2 stuff. So what you say should only be
          true for desktop.

          I tried searching Dell's support page for information about using an
          extern keyboard, but could not find any details on plugging . But
          since the laptop behaved similarly under Windoze, I have now put this
          problem down as a an incident with Dell, I suppose they'll me what is
          safe and not.

          /Peter