Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: external keyboard/mouse kills built-in touchpad, am I the only one

  • Dr. Keith G. Bowden
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
      Anyone know how to change the (usb) mouse speed in Red Hat/Mandrake?

      Keith Bowden

      Click here for Free Video!!
      http://www.gohip.com/free_video/

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
        OK, of course it's a little bit odd being the only one replying to my
        own thread, but I got a little closer to understand the problem today.

        On February 28, 2002, I wrote:

        PMN> - extern mouse or keyboard on the PS/2 port in tty. The keyboard
        PMN> works fine, but when I plug in anything on the PS/2 port,
        PMN> Linux's mouse device, /dev/psaux dies.

        I got hold on a stash of PS/2 keyboards today. Plugging and
        unplugging worked fine with all those keyboards.

        So my conclusion is that this is a problem that is particular to my
        external keyboard which is a Logitech Cordless Desktop Pro. Some
        local Linux expert told me that it indeed was a known issue that Linux
        could have trouble with hotplugging of cordless devices due to longer
        response times from the keyboard.

        Guess, I'll have to see how Windoze handles this and then consider
        bugging Logitech, Dell, or both.

        /Peter
        --
      • jsc3@gtf.org
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
          Are you hot-plugging the PS2 stuff? PS2 stuff does NOT support hot
          plugging, at least not as far as I know. In fact, I have known people
          who fried their PS2 connectors doing that and were forced to use USB
          mouse/keyboard because of it.

          If you boot Windows 98 and it doesn't detect a mouse, it tells you
          that if you have a USB mouse, go ahead and plug it in, but if you
          have a PS2 mouse, power down the computer before you attach it. I
          have seen this message many times while building systems.

          > OK, of course it's a little bit odd being the only one replying to my
          > own thread, but I got a little closer to understand the problem today.
          >
          > On February 28, 2002, I wrote:
          >
          > PMN> - extern mouse or keyboard on the PS/2 port in tty. The keyboard
          > PMN> works fine, but when I plug in anything on the PS/2 port,
          > PMN> Linux's mouse device, /dev/psaux dies.
          >
          > I got hold on a stash of PS/2 keyboards today. Plugging and
          > unplugging worked fine with all those keyboards.
          >
          > So my conclusion is that this is a problem that is particular to my
          > external keyboard which is a Logitech Cordless Desktop Pro. Some
          > local Linux expert told me that it indeed was a known issue that Linux
          > could have trouble with hotplugging of cordless devices due to longer
          > response times from the keyboard.
          >
          > Guess, I'll have to see how Windoze handles this and then consider
          > bugging Logitech, Dell, or both.

          --
          John Cronin
        • Peter Møller Neergaard
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
            On March 1, 2002, John Cronin wrote:

            j> Are you hot-plugging the PS2 stuff? PS2 stuff does NOT support hot
            j> plugging, at least not as far as I know. In fact, I have known
            j> people who fried their PS2 connectors doing that and were forced to
            j> use USB mouse/keyboard because of it.

            You are correct, I am hotplugging the PS/2 stuff. From what I've been
            told, laptops are equipped with an electronic buffer that should make
            it safe to hotplug even PS/2 stuff. So what you say should only be
            true for desktop.

            I tried searching Dell's support page for information about using an
            extern keyboard, but could not find any details on plugging . But
            since the laptop behaved similarly under Windoze, I have now put this
            problem down as a an incident with Dell, I suppose they'll me what is
            safe and not.

            /Peter