Re: [linux-dell-laptops] debian support

  • Dr. Keith G. Bowden
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
      So why is Debian better than (for instance) Mandrake?

      Keith Bowden

      Click here for Free Video!!
      http://www.gohip.com/free_video/

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
        > That's no reason not to use the Debian package method. I have patched
        > the NVidia kernel driver to get S2R to work. I would suggest that you
        > first try to get things working without the patch (which I believe is
        > only needed to get 1600x1200 mode).

        No, the 2 extra lines in os-registry.c are needed for all owners of 4100's and
        GeForce2 Go chips. Without it, we get the dreaded 2 inches of black and a grey
        bar across the bottom.

        > This sounds like your kernel source does not match the kernel image that
        > is running. Did you compile the kernel yourself?

        The kernel is kernel-image-2.4.17-686 from apt-get and the source is 2.4.17
        also downloaded with apt-get. I am using the Debian kernel because nobody will
        tell me how to make a kernel so my system doesn't lock up. The stock woody, sid
        and Mandrake kernels all work fine, so enough of trying to compile a kernel for
        a laptop! ARGH!!...Anyway, my problem was when using AC power, unplug the power
        cable and system locks. When running on battery and plug the AC cord in, system
        locks. This doesn't happen when using the kernels mentioned above. I tried for
        3 weeks to compile 2.4.17 using different peoples advice, with APM, w/o, with
        ACPI, w/o, this and that, and nothing worked, the same thing happened. So I am
        sticking with the precompiled kernels for my laptop. I'll leave the custom
        kernels to my Athlon.

        =====
        Jeremy Mann
        jeremy@...

        Bioinformatics Department

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
      • James Hirschorn
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
          On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 20:46, Jeremy Mann wrote:

          > No, the 2 extra lines in os-registry.c are needed for all owners of 4100's and
          > GeForce2 Go chips. Without it, we get the dreaded 2 inches of black and a grey
          > bar across the bottom.

          Fine, but I'm willing to bet that the problem is that you are using
          Debian, but not using the Debian packaging for the NVidia kernel module.
          See the file "/usr/share/doc/kernel-source-2.4.17/README.headers.gz",
          especially about how Debian is different from other distros with regards
          to kernel headers. ... Sounds like the FAQ needs a Debian section ... As
          I mentioned, you can still use the patch with the Debian package.

          > a laptop! ARGH!!...Anyway, my problem was when using AC power, unplug the power
          > cable and system locks. When running on battery and plug the AC cord in, system
          > locks. This doesn't happen when using the kernels mentioned above. I tried for
          > 3 weeks to compile 2.4.17 using different peoples advice, with APM, w/o, with
          > ACPI, w/o, this and that, and nothing worked, the same thing happened. So I am
          > sticking with the precompiled kernels for my laptop. I'll leave the custom
          > kernels to my Athlon.

          You could try to use someone elses kernel config. Preferably someone
          with a 4100.

          James
        • James Hirschorn
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
            On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 18:20, Dr. Keith G. Bowden wrote:
            > So why is Debian better than (for instance) Mandrake?
            >
            > Keith Bowden

            There are a large number of distributions (including Mandrake?) which
            are based on rpm's, and since they use basically the same packaging
            method, they are basically the same at least at a fundamental level.
            AFAIK Debian is leaps and bounds more advanced than other distros in
            terms of being "well thought out", and organized, etc...

            Here is a pros and cons list:

            http://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian

            And here is someone's comparison to Red Hat:

            http://debian-br.sourceforge.net/txt/debian_vs_redhat.html

            Cheers,
            James
          • Nils-Anders Duesund N√łttseter
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 4, 2002
              > The kernel is kernel-image-2.4.17-686 from apt-get and the source is
              2.4.17
              > also downloaded with apt-get. I am using the Debian kernel because nobody
              will
              > tell me how to make a kernel so my system doesn't lock up. The stock
              woody, sid
              > and Mandrake kernels all work fine, so enough of trying to compile a
              kernel for
              > a laptop! ARGH!!...Anyway, my problem was when using AC power, unplug the
              power
              > cable and system locks. When running on battery and plug the AC cord in,
              system
              > locks. This doesn't happen when using the kernels mentioned above. I tried
              for
              > 3 weeks to compile 2.4.17 using different peoples advice, with APM, w/o,
              with
              > ACPI, w/o, this and that, and nothing worked, the same thing happened. So
              I am
              > sticking with the precompiled kernels for my laptop. I'll leave the custom
              > kernels to my Athlon.

              I don't know if you've solved this problem yet, but I had the exact same
              problem on my I8000. Recompile your kernel 2.4.17 without any APIC support,
              (apm and acpi are both ok). This made my life a lot better.

              Nils-Anders Duesund N√łttseter
              nils-anders.nottseter@...