RE: [linux-dell-laptops] lilo: No OS found

  • Domsalla, Thorsten
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
      > It's looking at the wrong partition. K

      Ok, but why? Lilo is installed in /dev/hda2, /dev/hda2 is the (only!) active
      partition. /dev/hda2 is visible. What else?

      TJ
    • Mike Hicks
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
        "Domsalla, Thorsten" <thorsten.domsalla@...> wrote:

        > > It's looking at the wrong partition. K
        >
        > Ok, but why? Lilo is installed in /dev/hda2, /dev/hda2 is the (only!) active
        > partition. /dev/hda2 is visible. What else?

        It's possible you don't have a valid master boot record at the beginning
        of /dev/hda. It's a tiny boot loader that looks for an active partition
        and boots from there. You can try booting to Windows/DOS and running
        `fdisk /mbr' or there may be a small file included with LILO that you can
        just `dd' onto the beginning of your hard drive.

        --
        _ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ __ :wq!
        / \/ \(_)| ' // ._\ / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
          > It's possible you don't have a valid master boot record at the beginning
          > of /dev/hda. It's a tiny boot loader that looks for an active partition
          > and boots from there. You can try booting to Windows/DOS and running
          > `fdisk /mbr' or there may be a small file included with LILO that you can

          I ran the fdisk /mbr (DOS) but it didn't fix the problem. After that I
          installed lilo into the MBR and it worked fine. Unfortunately, there might
          be a conflict with s2d.

          TJ
        • Dr. Keith G. Bowden
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
            I don't know but it is.

            I don't know how LILO decides which one to look in.

            NT simply looks for a numbered partition. I suspect Linux
            is doing the same thing, but you need to find out.

            Only other possibility is OS/boot record isn't there.

            Click here for Free Video!!
            http://www.gohip.com/free_video/