Re: [linux-dell-laptops] lilo: No OS found

  • Dr. Keith G. Bowden
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2002
      It's looking at the wrong partition. K

      Click here for Free Video!!
      http://www.gohip.com/free_video/

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Domsalla, Thorsten <thorsten.domsalla@...>
      To: <linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 5:17 AM
      Subject: [linux-dell-laptops] lilo: No OS found

      > Hi,
      >
      > when installing lilo in the MBR it works the way expected. But, when
      > installing in in the boot record of some particular partition, say
      /dev/hda2
      > -> /boot, I get the message "OS not found".
      > /dev/hda2 is set as active, visible partition starting at cylinder <<
      1024.

      > Unfortunately, because of s2d it's essential to get this working ...
      >
      > Thorsten
      >
      > SuSE Linux 7.3, Kernel 2.4.18-rc4, Dual-boot DOS, WinXP, Win2k, Linux

    • Domsalla, Thorsten
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
        > It's looking at the wrong partition. K

        Ok, but why? Lilo is installed in /dev/hda2, /dev/hda2 is the (only!) active
        partition. /dev/hda2 is visible. What else?

        TJ
      • Mike Hicks
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
          "Domsalla, Thorsten" <thorsten.domsalla@...> wrote:

          > > It's looking at the wrong partition. K
          >
          > Ok, but why? Lilo is installed in /dev/hda2, /dev/hda2 is the (only!) active
          > partition. /dev/hda2 is visible. What else?

          It's possible you don't have a valid master boot record at the beginning
          of /dev/hda. It's a tiny boot loader that looks for an active partition
          and boots from there. You can try booting to Windows/DOS and running
          `fdisk /mbr' or there may be a small file included with LILO that you can
          just `dd' onto the beginning of your hard drive.

          --
          _ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ __ :wq!
          / \/ \(_)| ' // ._\ / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
            > It's possible you don't have a valid master boot record at the beginning
            > of /dev/hda. It's a tiny boot loader that looks for an active partition
            > and boots from there. You can try booting to Windows/DOS and running
            > `fdisk /mbr' or there may be a small file included with LILO that you can

            I ran the fdisk /mbr (DOS) but it didn't fix the problem. After that I
            installed lilo into the MBR and it worked fine. Unfortunately, there might
            be a conflict with s2d.

            TJ
          • Dr. Keith G. Bowden
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
              I don't know but it is.

              I don't know how LILO decides which one to look in.

              NT simply looks for a numbered partition. I suspect Linux
              is doing the same thing, but you need to find out.

              Only other possibility is OS/boot record isn't there.