Screen Blanking??

  • Frank Lipski
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2002
      When I am on battery power, my display will go blank when trying to
      recover from screen saver. I assume that is what it is. It seems when
      I am not using the computer for a period of time, the screen goes to a
      solid color, and I can't see anything. I try to hit any key to get out
      of the screen saver, and the screen behind is blank. I then had to
      reeboot. I assume there is also a delay "screen blank" when on battery
      somewhere, but I am not sure how to access this. Any info would be
      great. Frank
    • klkinney
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Frank Lipski <franklipski@y...> wrote:

        > When I am on battery power, my display will go blank when trying to
        > recover from screen saver. I assume that is what it is. It seems
        when
        > I am not using the computer for a period of time, the screen goes to
        > solid color, and I can't see anything. I try to hit any key to get
        out
        > of the screen saver, and the screen behind is blank. I then had to
        > reeboot. I assume there is also a delay "screen blank" when on
        battery
        > somewhere, but I am not sure how to access this. Any info would be
        > great. Frank

        I would love to know if there is a better way, but I went into the
        BIOS (F2 at start-up) and disabled much of the video items and left
        the hard disk on the power management screen. Will wait for nvidia to
        get a APM or BIOS to get APIC???

        I can go in and out of screen saver. I get a battery performance hit,
        but I don't have to reboot. I am not sure of most but I develop
        software with Linux and now somethings but not others and this will be
        a working laptop.

        I also had to make sure that I didn't have any "non-working" or
        configured services loaded. root@XXX]#setup Irda was one that
        conflicted with my sound card setup for example. I will have to check
        the postings for ways to set that up along with the firewire.

        Hope that helps, inform me if there are better ways? klk