Re: [linux-dell-laptops] debian support

  • James Hirschorn
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
      On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 16:01, Jeremy Mann wrote:
      > Maybe you can help. I am trying to compile the NVIDIA drivers for the
      > 2.4.17-686 kernel on my I4100 laptop. All I get is Unresolved Symbol errors
      > when compiling. I have the 2.4.17 sources, all compilers and headers, all
      > includes, everything. I can compile the driver fine in Mandrake (2.4.8), but it
      > simply will not compile in Debian.Any ideas?

      So you cd to the kernel source directory, and then run "make-kpkg
      modules_install" and you get Unresolved Symbol errors? I've never seen
      that. Maybe you could provide the first few error messages?

      James
    • Jeremy Mann
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
        > So you cd to the kernel source directory, and then run "make-kpkg
        > modules_install" and you get Unresolved Symbol errors? I've never seen
        > that. Maybe you could provide the first few error messages?
        >
        > James

        I have to build the kernel driver manually because I need to add the patch so
        it will work with my I4100 and UXGA screen. I can't give you the exact error
        messages since in Debian I am stuck in console and LINKS, W3M and LYNX won't do
        my yahoo mail ;(

        Anyway, I just rebooted into Debian and I was wrong the first time. The driver
        compiles, but when it is modprobe/insmod I get the Unresolved Symbols error. I
        remember seeing pci_write, pci_read, but it is just TOO much to write down.

        If necessary, can somebody compile the NVIDIA driver with the 2.4.17-686 kernel
        AND the 4100 UXGA patch and email it to me?

        > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/pgp-signature name=signature.asc

        =====
        Jeremy Mann
        jeremy@...

        Bioinformatics Department

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
      • James Hirschorn
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
          On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 17:10, Jeremy Mann wrote:

          > I have to build the kernel driver manually because I need to add the patch so
          > it will work with my I4100 and UXGA screen. I can't give you the exact error
          > messages since in Debian I am stuck in console and LINKS, W3M and LYNX won't do
          > my yahoo mail ;(

          That's no reason not to use the Debian package method. I have patched
          the NVidia kernel driver to get S2R to work. I would suggest that you
          first try to get things working without the patch (which I believe is
          only needed to get 1600x1200 mode).

          > Anyway, I just rebooted into Debian and I was wrong the first time. The driver
          > compiles, but when it is modprobe/insmod I get the Unresolved Symbols error. I
          > remember seeing pci_write, pci_read, but it is just TOO much to write down.

          This sounds like your kernel source does not match the kernel image that
          is running. Did you compile the kernel yourself?

          James

          > If necessary, can somebody compile the NVIDIA driver with the 2.4.17-686 kernel
          > AND the 4100 UXGA patch and email it to me?

        • Dr. Keith G. Bowden
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
            So why is Debian better than (for instance) Mandrake?

            Keith Bowden

            Click here for Free Video!!
            http://www.gohip.com/free_video/

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
              > That's no reason not to use the Debian package method. I have patched
              > the NVidia kernel driver to get S2R to work. I would suggest that you
              > first try to get things working without the patch (which I believe is
              > only needed to get 1600x1200 mode).

              No, the 2 extra lines in os-registry.c are needed for all owners of 4100's and
              GeForce2 Go chips. Without it, we get the dreaded 2 inches of black and a grey
              bar across the bottom.

              > This sounds like your kernel source does not match the kernel image that
              > is running. Did you compile the kernel yourself?

              The kernel is kernel-image-2.4.17-686 from apt-get and the source is 2.4.17
              also downloaded with apt-get. I am using the Debian kernel because nobody will
              tell me how to make a kernel so my system doesn't lock up. The stock woody, sid
              and Mandrake kernels all work fine, so enough of trying to compile a kernel for
              a laptop! ARGH!!...Anyway, my problem was when using AC power, unplug the power
              cable and system locks. When running on battery and plug the AC cord in, system
              locks. This doesn't happen when using the kernels mentioned above. I tried for
              3 weeks to compile 2.4.17 using different peoples advice, with APM, w/o, with
              ACPI, w/o, this and that, and nothing worked, the same thing happened. So I am
              sticking with the precompiled kernels for my laptop. I'll leave the custom
              kernels to my Athlon.

              =====

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
                On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 20:46, Jeremy Mann wrote:

                > No, the 2 extra lines in os-registry.c are needed for all owners of 4100's and
                > GeForce2 Go chips. Without it, we get the dreaded 2 inches of black and a grey
                > bar across the bottom.

                Fine, but I'm willing to bet that the problem is that you are using
                Debian, but not using the Debian packaging for the NVidia kernel module.
                See the file "/usr/share/doc/kernel-source-2.4.17/README.headers.gz",
                especially about how Debian is different from other distros with regards
                to kernel headers. ... Sounds like the FAQ needs a Debian section ... As
                I mentioned, you can still use the patch with the Debian package.

                > a laptop! ARGH!!...Anyway, my problem was when using AC power, unplug the power
                > cable and system locks. When running on battery and plug the AC cord in, system
                > locks. This doesn't happen when using the kernels mentioned above. I tried for
                > 3 weeks to compile 2.4.17 using different peoples advice, with APM, w/o, with
                > ACPI, w/o, this and that, and nothing worked, the same thing happened. So I am
                > sticking with the precompiled kernels for my laptop. I'll leave the custom
                > kernels to my Athlon.

                You could try to use someone elses kernel config. Preferably someone
                with a 4100.

                James
              • James Hirschorn
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
                  On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 18:20, Dr. Keith G. Bowden wrote:
                  > So why is Debian better than (for instance) Mandrake?
                  >
                  > Keith Bowden

                  There are a large number of distributions (including Mandrake?) which
                  are based on rpm's, and since they use basically the same packaging
                  method, they are basically the same at least at a fundamental level.
                  AFAIK Debian is leaps and bounds more advanced than other distros in
                  terms of being "well thought out", and organized, etc...

                  Here is a pros and cons list:

                  http://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian

                  And here is someone's comparison to Red Hat:

                  http://debian-br.sourceforge.net/txt/debian_vs_redhat.html

                  Cheers,
                  James
                • Nils-Anders Duesund N√łttseter
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 4, 2002
                    > The kernel is kernel-image-2.4.17-686 from apt-get and the source is
                    2.4.17
                    > also downloaded with apt-get. I am using the Debian kernel because nobody
                    will
                    > tell me how to make a kernel so my system doesn't lock up. The stock
                    woody, sid
                    > and Mandrake kernels all work fine, so enough of trying to compile a
                    kernel for
                    > a laptop! ARGH!!...Anyway, my problem was when using AC power, unplug the
                    power
                    > cable and system locks. When running on battery and plug the AC cord in,
                    system
                    > locks. This doesn't happen when using the kernels mentioned above. I tried
                    for
                    > 3 weeks to compile 2.4.17 using different peoples advice, with APM, w/o,
                    with
                    > ACPI, w/o, this and that, and nothing worked, the same thing happened. So
                    I am
                    > sticking with the precompiled kernels for my laptop. I'll leave the custom
                    > kernels to my Athlon.

                    I don't know if you've solved this problem yet, but I had the exact same
                    problem on my I8000. Recompile your kernel 2.4.17 without any APIC support,
                    (apm and acpi are both ok). This made my life a lot better.

                    Nils-Anders Duesund N√łttseter
                    nils-anders.nottseter@...