Re: [linux-dell-laptops] debian support

  • Jeremy Mann
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
      Maybe you can help. I am trying to compile the NVIDIA drivers for the
      2.4.17-686 kernel on my I4100 laptop. All I get is Unresolved Symbol errors
      when compiling. I have the 2.4.17 sources, all compilers and headers, all
      includes, everything. I can compile the driver fine in Mandrake (2.4.8), but it
      simply will not compile in Debian.Any ideas?

      > Switching from Debian is definitely the wrong option! Aside from the
      > fact that its the best Linux distro :), the Debian packages make it very
      > simple to install the NVidia drivers. I assume you have obtained the two
      > required packages from a Debian server:
      >
      > nvidia-kernel-src
      > nvidia-glx-src
      >
      > Make sure you also get the 'recommends' package: wget. Then follow the
      > instruction in /usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-src/README.Debian and
      > /usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx-src/README.Debian. That covers just about
      > everything except the hack by someone in this newsgroup for enabling
      > S2R.
      >
      > Best Luck,
      > James
      > > not sure exactly what to dowith them, nor how to get X working properly in
      > > Debian system. So if you could point me in a direction that would a ba bit
      > > morehelp to those of use with deb based systems it would be greatly
      > > appreciated
      > >
      > > Nebular
      >

      > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/pgp-signature name=signature.asc

      =====
      Jeremy Mann
      jeremy@...

      Bioinformatics Department

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
    • James Hirschorn
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
        On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 16:01, Jeremy Mann wrote:
        > Maybe you can help. I am trying to compile the NVIDIA drivers for the
        > 2.4.17-686 kernel on my I4100 laptop. All I get is Unresolved Symbol errors
        > when compiling. I have the 2.4.17 sources, all compilers and headers, all
        > includes, everything. I can compile the driver fine in Mandrake (2.4.8), but it
        > simply will not compile in Debian.Any ideas?

        So you cd to the kernel source directory, and then run "make-kpkg
        modules_install" and you get Unresolved Symbol errors? I've never seen
        that. Maybe you could provide the first few error messages?

        James
      • Jeremy Mann
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
          > So you cd to the kernel source directory, and then run "make-kpkg
          > modules_install" and you get Unresolved Symbol errors? I've never seen
          > that. Maybe you could provide the first few error messages?
          >
          > James

          I have to build the kernel driver manually because I need to add the patch so
          it will work with my I4100 and UXGA screen. I can't give you the exact error
          messages since in Debian I am stuck in console and LINKS, W3M and LYNX won't do
          my yahoo mail ;(

          Anyway, I just rebooted into Debian and I was wrong the first time. The driver
          compiles, but when it is modprobe/insmod I get the Unresolved Symbols error. I
          remember seeing pci_write, pci_read, but it is just TOO much to write down.

          If necessary, can somebody compile the NVIDIA driver with the 2.4.17-686 kernel
          AND the 4100 UXGA patch and email it to me?

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
            On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 17:10, Jeremy Mann wrote:

            > I have to build the kernel driver manually because I need to add the patch so
            > it will work with my I4100 and UXGA screen. I can't give you the exact error
            > messages since in Debian I am stuck in console and LINKS, W3M and LYNX won't do
            > my yahoo mail ;(

            That's no reason not to use the Debian package method. I have patched
            the NVidia kernel driver to get S2R to work. I would suggest that you
            first try to get things working without the patch (which I believe is
            only needed to get 1600x1200 mode).

            > Anyway, I just rebooted into Debian and I was wrong the first time. The driver
            > compiles, but when it is modprobe/insmod I get the Unresolved Symbols error. I
            > remember seeing pci_write, pci_read, but it is just TOO much to write down.

            This sounds like your kernel source does not match the kernel image that
            is running. Did you compile the kernel yourself?

            James

            > If necessary, can somebody compile the NVIDIA driver with the 2.4.17-686 kernel
            > AND the 4100 UXGA patch and email it to me?

          • Dr. Keith G. Bowden
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
              So why is Debian better than (for instance) Mandrake?

              Keith Bowden

              Click here for Free Video!!
              http://www.gohip.com/free_video/

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
                > That's no reason not to use the Debian package method. I have patched
                > the NVidia kernel driver to get S2R to work. I would suggest that you
                > first try to get things working without the patch (which I believe is
                > only needed to get 1600x1200 mode).

                No, the 2 extra lines in os-registry.c are needed for all owners of 4100's and
                GeForce2 Go chips. Without it, we get the dreaded 2 inches of black and a grey
                bar across the bottom.

                > This sounds like your kernel source does not match the kernel image that
                > is running. Did you compile the kernel yourself?

                The kernel is kernel-image-2.4.17-686 from apt-get and the source is 2.4.17
                also downloaded with apt-get. I am using the Debian kernel because nobody will
                tell me how to make a kernel so my system doesn't lock up. The stock woody, sid
                and Mandrake kernels all work fine, so enough of trying to compile a kernel for
                a laptop! ARGH!!...Anyway, my problem was when using AC power, unplug the power
                cable and system locks. When running on battery and plug the AC cord in, system
                locks. This doesn't happen when using the kernels mentioned above. I tried for
                3 weeks to compile 2.4.17 using different peoples advice, with APM, w/o, with
                ACPI, w/o, this and that, and nothing worked, the same thing happened. So I am
                sticking with the precompiled kernels for my laptop. I'll leave the custom
                kernels to my Athlon.

                =====

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
                  On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 20:46, Jeremy Mann wrote:

                  > No, the 2 extra lines in os-registry.c are needed for all owners of 4100's and
                  > GeForce2 Go chips. Without it, we get the dreaded 2 inches of black and a grey
                  > bar across the bottom.

                  Fine, but I'm willing to bet that the problem is that you are using
                  Debian, but not using the Debian packaging for the NVidia kernel module.
                  See the file "/usr/share/doc/kernel-source-2.4.17/README.headers.gz",
                  especially about how Debian is different from other distros with regards
                  to kernel headers. ... Sounds like the FAQ needs a Debian section ... As
                  I mentioned, you can still use the patch with the Debian package.

                  > a laptop! ARGH!!...Anyway, my problem was when using AC power, unplug the power
                  > cable and system locks. When running on battery and plug the AC cord in, system
                  > locks. This doesn't happen when using the kernels mentioned above. I tried for
                  > 3 weeks to compile 2.4.17 using different peoples advice, with APM, w/o, with
                  > ACPI, w/o, this and that, and nothing worked, the same thing happened. So I am
                  > sticking with the precompiled kernels for my laptop. I'll leave the custom
                  > kernels to my Athlon.

                  You could try to use someone elses kernel config. Preferably someone
                  with a 4100.

                  James
                • James Hirschorn
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
                    On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 18:20, Dr. Keith G. Bowden wrote:
                    > So why is Debian better than (for instance) Mandrake?
                    >
                    > Keith Bowden

                    There are a large number of distributions (including Mandrake?) which
                    are based on rpm's, and since they use basically the same packaging
                    method, they are basically the same at least at a fundamental level.
                    AFAIK Debian is leaps and bounds more advanced than other distros in
                    terms of being "well thought out", and organized, etc...

                    Here is a pros and cons list:

                    http://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian

                    And here is someone's comparison to Red Hat:

                    http://debian-br.sourceforge.net/txt/debian_vs_redhat.html

                    Cheers,
                    James
                  • Nils-Anders Duesund N√łttseter
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 4, 2002
                      > The kernel is kernel-image-2.4.17-686 from apt-get and the source is
                      2.4.17
                      > also downloaded with apt-get. I am using the Debian kernel because nobody
                      will
                      > tell me how to make a kernel so my system doesn't lock up. The stock
                      woody, sid
                      > and Mandrake kernels all work fine, so enough of trying to compile a
                      kernel for
                      > a laptop! ARGH!!...Anyway, my problem was when using AC power, unplug the
                      power
                      > cable and system locks. When running on battery and plug the AC cord in,
                      system
                      > locks. This doesn't happen when using the kernels mentioned above. I tried
                      for
                      > 3 weeks to compile 2.4.17 using different peoples advice, with APM, w/o,
                      with
                      > ACPI, w/o, this and that, and nothing worked, the same thing happened. So
                      I am
                      > sticking with the precompiled kernels for my laptop. I'll leave the custom
                      > kernels to my Athlon.

                      I don't know if you've solved this problem yet, but I had the exact same
                      problem on my I8000. Recompile your kernel 2.4.17 without any APIC support,
                      (apm and acpi are both ok). This made my life a lot better.

                      Nils-Anders Duesund N√łttseter
                      nils-anders.nottseter@...