Rebuilding SRPM (was Re: Nvidia Config Help Please)

  • falcon40at
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1 12:20 AM
      the kernel source should be just fine... as far as I know. I had the
      headers installed too ... just in case ...

      Kaan

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "kev0153" <kclark@h...> wrote:
      > Do you need both the kernel source and headers to rebuild an SRPM or
      > just the source or just the headers?
      >
      > Thanks
      > Kevin
      >

      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Dr. Robert W. Current" <current@h...>
      > wrote:
      > > That's not enough info to tell where the rebuild failed. Maybe if you
      > > put a little more info in?
      > >
      > > You do need to have the linux kernel source rpm installed, it would be
      > > one potential cause.
      > >
      > > I would get the source rpm's if I were you... Never failed for me!
      > >
      > > # Configuration for a Dell Inspiron 8100
      > > # With Nvidia GeForce2Go 32M
      > > # Works with Linux Mandrake 8.2
      > > #
      > > # What I did:
      > > #
      > > # 1) download from Mvidia's site:
      > > # "NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2313.src.rpm"
      > > # "NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2314.src.rpm"
      > > #
      > > # 2) then "rpm -ivh" these two files.
      > > #
      > > # 3) then "cd /usr/src/RPM/SPECS"
      > > #
      > > # 4) then build the RPM's against your system:
      > > # "rpm -ba NVIDIA_GLX.spec"
      > > # "rpm -ba NVIDIA_kernel.spec"
      > > #
      > > # 5) then install the files
      > > # "rpm -Uvh /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i686/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2313.i686.rpm"
      > > # "rpm -Uvh /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i686/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2314.i686.rpm"
      > > #
      > > # 6) then put this file in your /etc/X11/ and name it "XF86Config-4"
      > > #
      > >
      > > From my config file in the files section on the yahoo site for this
      > > group....
      > >
      > > Rob C.

    • bh_mayor
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1 7:43 AM
        Stephen:

        Can we add this little "how-to" into the FAQ?

        Stuart
        Beverly Hills, CA

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "klkinney" <klkinney@y...> wrote:
        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Frank Lipski <franklipski@y...>
        wrote:

        > > I have tried the config twice with no luck.
        > >
        > > Here is my situation. I have I8100 with red hat 7.2 and the
        > 2.4.7-10
        > > kernel. I used these two rpms from NVIDIA??
        > >
        > > NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2313.i386.rpm
        > >
        > > NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2313.rh72up.i386.rpm
        > >
        > > first off, I need to know if that is correct. I guess I could
        also
        > use
        > > some help with how to edit the XF86Config-4, or XF86Config
        files, or
        > > just what to do from this point.
        > >
        > > I have the 15in SXGA monitor.
        >
        > I have A08 BIOS and SXGA+ on my i81K, used 1400x1050 and the
        NVchooser
        > indicated a different set of GLX and kernels to use for me. Look
        > below. It got me into X.
        >
        > Follow these instructions from nvidia.
        >
        > So you want to run your NVidia under
        Linux?

        > Let me give you some easy instructions ...
        >
        > First off, I am assuming a few things from
        > your side for my instructions to work:
        >
        > - Your running Red Hat Linux 7.2
        > - You have not updated your kernel
        > - You don't have alot of time
        >
        > So, lets get started:
        >
        > 1.) Download the GLX Driver RPM file:
        > NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2313.i386.rpm
        >
        > 2.) Download the correct Kernel Driver
        RPM:
        > NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2313.rh72smp.i686.rpm
        > In my case it's that one, if ya don't
        > know, just download and run the very
        > simple NVChooser script.
        > Added by klk --> can run from a burnt CD or floppy #./NVChooser.sh
        >
        > Added by klk --> I needed: Check to make sure that you do as well.
        > Added by klk --> NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2313.rh72up.i686.rpm
        > Added by klk --> NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2313.i386.rpm
        >

        > 3.) Use pico, vi, or whatever to edit the
        > /etc/inittab file and change the line
        > that reads:
        >
        > id:5:initdefault:
        > Added by klk --> If you skip the test of Xwindows, it will change
        to 3
        > as indicated below. Verify anyway.
        >
        > so that it does not start in X11 by
        > changing it to the following:
        >
        > id:3:initdefault:
        >
        > 4.) Reboot your Linux system and login as
        > root.
        >
        > 5.) Install the two RPM's you downloaded:
        >
        > RPM -Uvh
        > NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2313.rh72smp.i686.rpm - Added by klk -->
        multiple
        > processor - don't use
        > RPM -Uvh NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2313.i386.rpm
        >
        > 6.) Use pico, vi, or whatever to edit the
        > /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file and look for
        > the following line:
        >
        > Driver "nv"
        >
        > Change this line to read:
        >
        > Driver "nvidia"
        >
        > Also remove the lines:
        >
        > Load "GLcore"
        > Load "dri"
        >
        > 7.) Use pico, vi, or whatever to edit the
        > /etc/inittab file and change the line
        > that reads:
        >
        > id:3:initdefault:
        >
        > so that it does start in X11 again by
        > changing it back to the following:
        >
        > id:5:initdefault:
        >
        > 8.) Reboot your machine again, and you
        > should now have NVidia running the show.
        >
        > Some things you want to keep in mind:
        >
        > - Do not upgrade your kernel unless you
        > are willing to do some extra work that
        > will be involved for that upgrade.
        > - Do not buy Tribes 2 (or at least not
        yet..
        > I am still trying to find my copy God
        > it SUCKS that Loki went out like that
        >
        > Feel free to ask me any questions you may
        > have regarding the above, if it does not
        > seem clear.
        >
        > A suggestion to NVidia:
        >
        > It would seem the RPM should be able to
        take
        > care of the editing of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 for the user in the
        > case of a distrubtion install of the
        driver
        > for things such as Red Hat Linux using perhaps sed/awk?
        >
        > ... Anyways, enjoy. Robert Burton
        >
        > Quesiton from KLK:
        > 1) Do others remove the XF86Config file?
        >
        > 2) I also commented out the DRI and mode 066 at the bottom of the
        > XF86Config-4 file?
      • Dr. Robert W. Current
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1 9:21 AM
          Personally, I think it's unwise to advise anyone to use the .rpm's
          unless they rebuild them from the src.rpm's.

          Since it's dependant on your LINUX kernel version, the binaries cause
          too many people too much trouble...

          Then again, that's just my opinion..

          Rob C.

          =>
          => Stephen:
          =>
          => Can we add this little "how-to" into the FAQ?
          =>
          =>
          => Stuart
          => Beverly Hills, CA
          =>
          =>
          => --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "klkinney" <klkinney@y...> wrote:
          => > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Frank Lipski <franklipski@y...>
          => wrote:
          => > >
          => > >
          => > > I have tried the config twice with no luck.
          => > >
          => > > Here is my situation. I have I8100 with red hat 7.2 and the
          => > 2.4.7-10
          => > > kernel. I used these two rpms from NVIDIA??
          => > >
          => > > NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2313.i386.rpm
          => > >
          => > > NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2313.rh72up.i386.rpm
          => > >
          => > > first off, I need to know if that is correct. I guess I could
          => also
          => > use
          => > > some help with how to edit the XF86Config-4, or XF86Config
          => files, or
          => > > just what to do from this point.
          => > >
          => > > I have the 15in SXGA monitor.
          => >
[...]
          => ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          => ---------------------~-->
          => Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
          => Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
          => Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
          => http://us.click.yahoo.com/nuyOHD/7.PDAA/yigFAA/s5T0lB/TM
          => -------------------------------------------------------------
          => --------~->
          =>
          => --------------------------------------------------------------
          => Please post your X config files in the group links or database
          => To unsubscribe, email: linux-dell-laptops-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          => FAQ: http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq
          =>
          => Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          => http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          =>
          =>
        • Stephen Lau
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1 9:22 AM
            Certainly...I will add it in with the other walk-throughs.

            -steve

            --
            stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: www.grommit.com :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
          • Dr. Keith G. Bowden
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 2 9:13 AM
              But I thought that was why you install a new kernel at the same time.

              Don't understand.

              rpm's seem to work for me with the occasional lockup.

              You think rebuilding will fix that?

              Keith Bowden

              Click here for Free Video!!
              http://www.gohip.com/free_video/

> [...]
              > => > XF86Config-4 file?
              > =>
              > =>
              > => ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              > => ---------------------~-->
              > => Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
              > => Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
              > => Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
              > => http://us.click.yahoo.com/nuyOHD/7.PDAA/yigFAA/s5T0lB/TM
              > => -------------------------------------------------------------
              > => --------~->
              > =>
              > => --------------------------------------------------------------
              > => Please post your X config files in the group links or database
              > => To unsubscribe, email: linux-dell-laptops-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
              > => FAQ: http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq
              > =>
              > => Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to

            • bh_mayor
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 3 6:45 AM
                <current@h...> wrote:
                > Personally, I think it's unwise to advise anyone to use the .rpm's
                > unless they rebuild them from the src.rpm's.
                >
                > Since it's dependant on your LINUX kernel version, the binaries
                cause
                > too many people too much trouble...
                >
                > Then again, that's just my opinion..
                >
                > Rob C.

                Rob:

                Yes, I meant also for the addition to the FAQ to also be inclusive
                of the posting which followed the one I had responded to, which
                included how to build with source also.

                Stuart
                Beverly Hills, CA
              • Dr. Robert W. Current
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 3 10:12 AM
                  No, IMHO don't think rebuilding will stop the lockups.

                  But, every single time I have built a new (linux) kernel, I rebuild the
                  nvidia kernel and GLX rpm's, and reinstall them (with -Uvh
                  --replacefiles --replacepkgs), and my X has never stopped working when I
                  rebuild them. However, when I don't rebuild the two Nvidia packages,
                  sometimes X doesn't run.

                  Rob C.