debian support

  • Nebular
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 28, 2002
      I've read the FAQ and all the other various guides and I've been monitoring
      this site for a bit of time, and I've got quite a bit of useful infor
      (espcially getting linux to dual boot with WinXP) However when it comes to
      the Nvidia drivers I've found that all the help is in reference to Redhat and
      Mandrake and very little directed to those of use that run Debian. I have
      very little experience with rpm based distros, and Iike the simplicity of
      apt-get and the debian servers to update so switching is not much of an
      option. My trouble is I"m sitting here with the files extracted from the debs
      not sure exactly what to dowith them, nor how to get X working properly in a
      Debian system. So if you could point me in a direction that would a ba bit
      morehelp to those of use with deb based systems it would be greatly
      appreciated

      Nebular
    • Peter Møller Neergaard
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
        I don't know debian, but NVIDIA also provides their drivers as a
        tar-ball. You should therefore be able to download these and compile
        the drivers you self. It worked for me using Mandrake. You might
        experience that it asks for some missing files in your installation,
        but I presume the debian package system can help you out on that.

        In other words
        0) start in text mode
        1) download the two tar-balls
        2) unpack each of them with tar xzvf filename for instance in
        /usr/src/nvidia
        3) in each of the two directories compile and install the two
        packages. As far as I recall, make will suffice (unlike the usual
        convention this installs the files). Make sure to do this as root.
        4) Change XF86Config-4 as described elsewhere
        5) reboot

        /Peter
        --
        http://www.linearity.org/turtle/contact.html
        ``When you have had all the experiences, met all the famous people,
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
          On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 08:32, Nebular wrote:
          > I've read the FAQ and all the other various guides and I've been monitoring
          > this site for a bit of time, and I've got quite a bit of useful infor
          > (espcially getting linux to dual boot with WinXP) However when it comes to
          > the Nvidia drivers I've found that all the help is in reference to Redhat and
          > Mandrake and very little directed to those of use that run Debian. I have
          > very little experience with rpm based distros, and Iike the simplicity of
          > apt-get and the debian servers to update so switching is not much of an
          > option. My trouble is I"m sitting here with the files extracted from the debs

          Switching from Debian is definitely the wrong option! Aside from the
          fact that its the best Linux distro :), the Debian packages make it very
          simple to install the NVidia drivers. I assume you have obtained the two
          required packages from a Debian server:

          nvidia-kernel-src
          nvidia-glx-src

          Make sure you also get the 'recommends' package: wget. Then follow the
          instruction in /usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-src/README.Debian and
          /usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx-src/README.Debian. That covers just about
          everything except the hack by someone in this newsgroup for enabling
          S2R.

          Best Luck,
          James
          > not sure exactly what to dowith them, nor how to get X working properly in a
          > Debian system. So if you could point me in a direction that would a ba bit
          > morehelp to those of use with deb based systems it would be greatly
          > appreciated
          >
          > Nebular
        • Jeremy Mann
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
            Maybe you can help. I am trying to compile the NVIDIA drivers for the
            2.4.17-686 kernel on my I4100 laptop. All I get is Unresolved Symbol errors
            when compiling. I have the 2.4.17 sources, all compilers and headers, all
            includes, everything. I can compile the driver fine in Mandrake (2.4.8), but it
            simply will not compile in Debian.Any ideas?

            > Switching from Debian is definitely the wrong option! Aside from the
            > fact that its the best Linux distro :), the Debian packages make it very
            > simple to install the NVidia drivers. I assume you have obtained the two
            > required packages from a Debian server:
            >
            > nvidia-kernel-src
            > nvidia-glx-src
            >
            > Make sure you also get the 'recommends' package: wget. Then follow the
            > instruction in /usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-src/README.Debian and
            > /usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx-src/README.Debian. That covers just about
            > everything except the hack by someone in this newsgroup for enabling
            > S2R.
            >
            > Best Luck,
            > James
            > > not sure exactly what to dowith them, nor how to get X working properly in
            > > Debian system. So if you could point me in a direction that would a ba bit
            > > morehelp to those of use with deb based systems it would be greatly
            > > appreciated
            > >
            > > Nebular
            >

            > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/pgp-signature name=signature.asc

            =====
            Jeremy Mann
            jeremy@...

            Bioinformatics Department

            http://greetings.yahoo.com
          • James Hirschorn
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
              On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 16:01, Jeremy Mann wrote:
              > Maybe you can help. I am trying to compile the NVIDIA drivers for the
              > 2.4.17-686 kernel on my I4100 laptop. All I get is Unresolved Symbol errors
              > when compiling. I have the 2.4.17 sources, all compilers and headers, all
              > includes, everything. I can compile the driver fine in Mandrake (2.4.8), but it
              > simply will not compile in Debian.Any ideas?

              So you cd to the kernel source directory, and then run "make-kpkg
              modules_install" and you get Unresolved Symbol errors? I've never seen
              that. Maybe you could provide the first few error messages?

              James
            • Jeremy Mann
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
                > So you cd to the kernel source directory, and then run "make-kpkg
                > modules_install" and you get Unresolved Symbol errors? I've never seen
                > that. Maybe you could provide the first few error messages?
                >
                > James

                I have to build the kernel driver manually because I need to add the patch so
                it will work with my I4100 and UXGA screen. I can't give you the exact error
                messages since in Debian I am stuck in console and LINKS, W3M and LYNX won't do
                my yahoo mail ;(

                Anyway, I just rebooted into Debian and I was wrong the first time. The driver
                compiles, but when it is modprobe/insmod I get the Unresolved Symbols error. I
                remember seeing pci_write, pci_read, but it is just TOO much to write down.

                If necessary, can somebody compile the NVIDIA driver with the 2.4.17-686 kernel
                AND the 4100 UXGA patch and email it to me?

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
                  On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 17:10, Jeremy Mann wrote:

                  > I have to build the kernel driver manually because I need to add the patch so
                  > it will work with my I4100 and UXGA screen. I can't give you the exact error
                  > messages since in Debian I am stuck in console and LINKS, W3M and LYNX won't do
                  > my yahoo mail ;(

                  That's no reason not to use the Debian package method. I have patched
                  the NVidia kernel driver to get S2R to work. I would suggest that you
                  first try to get things working without the patch (which I believe is
                  only needed to get 1600x1200 mode).

                  > Anyway, I just rebooted into Debian and I was wrong the first time. The driver
                  > compiles, but when it is modprobe/insmod I get the Unresolved Symbols error. I
                  > remember seeing pci_write, pci_read, but it is just TOO much to write down.

                  This sounds like your kernel source does not match the kernel image that
                  is running. Did you compile the kernel yourself?

                  James

                  > If necessary, can somebody compile the NVIDIA driver with the 2.4.17-686 kernel
                  > AND the 4100 UXGA patch and email it to me?

                • Dr. Keith G. Bowden
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
                    So why is Debian better than (for instance) Mandrake?

                    Keith Bowden

                    Click here for Free Video!!
                    http://www.gohip.com/free_video/

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
                      > That's no reason not to use the Debian package method. I have patched
                      > the NVidia kernel driver to get S2R to work. I would suggest that you
                      > first try to get things working without the patch (which I believe is
                      > only needed to get 1600x1200 mode).

                      No, the 2 extra lines in os-registry.c are needed for all owners of 4100's and
                      GeForce2 Go chips. Without it, we get the dreaded 2 inches of black and a grey
                      bar across the bottom.

                      > This sounds like your kernel source does not match the kernel image that
                      > is running. Did you compile the kernel yourself?

                      The kernel is kernel-image-2.4.17-686 from apt-get and the source is 2.4.17
                      also downloaded with apt-get. I am using the Debian kernel because nobody will
                      tell me how to make a kernel so my system doesn't lock up. The stock woody, sid
                      and Mandrake kernels all work fine, so enough of trying to compile a kernel for
                      a laptop! ARGH!!...Anyway, my problem was when using AC power, unplug the power
                      cable and system locks. When running on battery and plug the AC cord in, system
                      locks. This doesn't happen when using the kernels mentioned above. I tried for
                      3 weeks to compile 2.4.17 using different peoples advice, with APM, w/o, with
                      ACPI, w/o, this and that, and nothing worked, the same thing happened. So I am
                      sticking with the precompiled kernels for my laptop. I'll leave the custom
                      kernels to my Athlon.

                      =====

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
                        On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 20:46, Jeremy Mann wrote:

                        > No, the 2 extra lines in os-registry.c are needed for all owners of 4100's and
                        > GeForce2 Go chips. Without it, we get the dreaded 2 inches of black and a grey
                        > bar across the bottom.

                        Fine, but I'm willing to bet that the problem is that you are using
                        Debian, but not using the Debian packaging for the NVidia kernel module.
                        See the file "/usr/share/doc/kernel-source-2.4.17/README.headers.gz",
                        especially about how Debian is different from other distros with regards
                        to kernel headers. ... Sounds like the FAQ needs a Debian section ... As
                        I mentioned, you can still use the patch with the Debian package.

                        > a laptop! ARGH!!...Anyway, my problem was when using AC power, unplug the power
                        > cable and system locks. When running on battery and plug the AC cord in, system
                        > locks. This doesn't happen when using the kernels mentioned above. I tried for
                        > 3 weeks to compile 2.4.17 using different peoples advice, with APM, w/o, with
                        > ACPI, w/o, this and that, and nothing worked, the same thing happened. So I am
                        > sticking with the precompiled kernels for my laptop. I'll leave the custom
                        > kernels to my Athlon.

                        You could try to use someone elses kernel config. Preferably someone
                        with a 4100.

                        James
                      • James Hirschorn
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 2, 2002
                          On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 18:20, Dr. Keith G. Bowden wrote:
                          > So why is Debian better than (for instance) Mandrake?
                          >
                          > Keith Bowden

                          There are a large number of distributions (including Mandrake?) which
                          are based on rpm's, and since they use basically the same packaging
                          method, they are basically the same at least at a fundamental level.
                          AFAIK Debian is leaps and bounds more advanced than other distros in
                          terms of being "well thought out", and organized, etc...

                          Here is a pros and cons list:

                          http://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian

                          And here is someone's comparison to Red Hat:

                          http://debian-br.sourceforge.net/txt/debian_vs_redhat.html

                          Cheers,
                          James
                        • Nils-Anders Duesund Nøttseter
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 4, 2002
                            > The kernel is kernel-image-2.4.17-686 from apt-get and the source is
                            2.4.17
                            > also downloaded with apt-get. I am using the Debian kernel because nobody
                            will
                            > tell me how to make a kernel so my system doesn't lock up. The stock
                            woody, sid
                            > and Mandrake kernels all work fine, so enough of trying to compile a
                            kernel for
                            > a laptop! ARGH!!...Anyway, my problem was when using AC power, unplug the
                            power
                            > cable and system locks. When running on battery and plug the AC cord in,
                            system
                            > locks. This doesn't happen when using the kernels mentioned above. I tried
                            for
                            > 3 weeks to compile 2.4.17 using different peoples advice, with APM, w/o,
                            with
                            > ACPI, w/o, this and that, and nothing worked, the same thing happened. So
                            I am
                            > sticking with the precompiled kernels for my laptop. I'll leave the custom
                            > kernels to my Athlon.

                            I don't know if you've solved this problem yet, but I had the exact same
                            problem on my I8000. Recompile your kernel 2.4.17 without any APIC support,
                            (apm and acpi are both ok). This made my life a lot better.

                            Nils-Anders Duesund Nøttseter
                            nils-anders.nottseter@...