I5000 will not accept pc133 and/or cas3 RAM?

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27 9:51 PM
      I've got an Inspiron 5000, which currently has 384MB ram.
      Slot 1: Crucial 256MB (PC100)
      Slot 2: Kingston 128MB (PC100)

      A friend gave me 2 x "Simpletech 256MB SYNC 133MHz, CL3" SO-DIMMs.

      I opened the bottom and replaced the 128MB module with a 256. Turned the
      laptop on, and it powered up, but after 3 seconds or so, just powered off.
      Hit power again, same thing happened. No POST, no beeps, nothing.

      I replaced the 256 i had just installed with the 128, and it booted fine.
      A friend suggested that maybe it didn't like a PC100 and a PC133 at the
      same time, so I took both modules out and installed both new ones. Power
      on, and same thing happens. Replaced the new modules with the original
      128 and 256, and it boots fine.

      I have a feeling that the laptop doesn't like either the fact that the new
      RAM is PC133 or CL3.

      From what I understand, the PC133 shouldn't matter. The laptop will use
      it at 100Mhz if it needs to. I'm not so sure about the CL3 part (CL3 is
      slower than CL2). From my reading, i think that it should not matter,
      but I could be mistaken.

      Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.